Re: How Disappointing...
Kh-Phil

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Thanks,

Paul-D
Community Moderator

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Most people don't understand that Blackberries and Androids are worlds apart and operate differently and that leads to more problems.  That said, the sidetone (echo on calls) and weaker than usual cell signal are known issues and can hopefully be fixed with an update.  I'm just curious about what apps this rep "removed".  You said that you decided you wanted to use them so I figured you knew what they were.

0 Likes
mlacher

I completely understand that the Blackberries and Androids are worlds apart.  Part of the reason I switched to an Android...  Blackberry can't touch the processing speed of an Android right now.  Hopefully, they'll re-evaluate that within themselves, and come up with a way to compete with the Android.  And yes, my issues are known issues, and hoping they'll get fixed with an update is nothing short of hopes and dreams, and I need to make the decision within the next few days if I'm willing to "wait and see" what might come of the update, since it has not yet been released.  I feel that is not the best decision for me, since I will be out of my 30 day return window, having to wait another year until I'm eligible for an upgrade again.

I'm not certain what the rep removed.  He simply stated "I have installed LauncherPro for you, and removed all of the Samsung..." (I can't recall exactly what word he used here, because it was after 9 pm, we had been at the store for 2 hours, and I didn't think I needed to really pay that much attention to what he said).   I realized that I wanted to use some of the Samsung widgets (like the clock, task manager, buddies now, etc).  I called Verizon tech support (so I didn't screw anything up on my own), and they instructed me to uninstall LauncherPro.  When I did, I IMMEDIATELY got popups that certain applications needed to force close, and certain files were not found.  They had me reboot, hoping to clear the errors, and when I did, we got different errors.  We did a phone wipe, hoping to restore to the original settings, but whatever it was that the rep did apparently deleted certain files or codes, or SOMEthing necessary to make the phone function, because even though TS was walking me thru the exact steps (while I was on a landline), it would not ever restart.  Kept giving error messages that (I was told by TS) were indicative that I was missing pertinent operating information.

Like I said, I can tell you what he said to me in store, but since he did not show me what he was doing, I have NO idea what was actually done.  Removing LauncherPro, rebooting, and hard resets did not help, therefore, the phone was completely unusable, requiring a replacement.  The manager was made aware of the situation, spoke to the employee, and replaced both of my phones without hesitation.

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

I bought 3 new Fascinates back on 9/9 when they came out.

They are by far the best phones I've ever had from Verizon ( been with them 20 years ).

They work great...as advertised..all three.

Only exception is that the GPS on all 3 takes a good 5 minutes to get a lock, but once it does, its fine.

We've used messaging, phone, emails, google mail, contacts and schedule syncing, other email syncing...

Have downloaded lots of apps...some good...some bad..but all worked OK.

The samsung touchwiz along with swype is a great interface..and yes..I'm even OK with Bing.

( though to be honest...I would like the choice to choose bing or google..but bing can be default

initially.  )

I've downloaded, installed and use google maps, places and navigation.  It was simple and painless.

Once froyo ..android 2.2 comes along..I expect it to work even better.

And I'm sure Samsung / Verizon is working on fixing some other small bugs, like the GPS, as well.

Sorry, but these are really good phones from my experience so far !!!!

All new devices have some minor, initial 'issues'....All of which are usually resolved after a couple months.

0 Likes
yellowboy74
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had my phone for over a month now and still loving it.Why don't you go to the Verizon Wireless site, go to smartphones and look at the review that hundreds of people are posting about how they love this phone. You are coming from a blackberry, it will take a while for you to adjust to android. But no need to trash Verizon and tell them to stop selling the phones when it is the hottest phone they have on their line-up right now.  I can relate to you with the call quality issues with the phone but they went away on their own after a few days. FYI , no phone is perfect when they are first released and you don't believe me go to Droid X , Incredible, and Droid 2 threads and look at all the issues they are having.

0 Likes
fascinated_25
I would love to be able to contact this salesman if he was able to delete all the preloaded crap on this phone, because other than all the **bleep** preloaded apps this is the best phone i have ever had, or anyone else that i know. The phone runs great and operates wonderful. I've had no problems with my samsung fascinate and its been nearly three weeks. Great phone!!! I will suggest it to everyone i know! Also out of the two other smart phones in my home ( LG Ally, and Moto Droid) the Fascinate has the best wireless reception. And i work in a customer support center, TS is only telling you that they are experiencing problems with that phone to make you feel better about yourself. sorry
0 Likes