Re: How Bing found its way to Fascinate and what to expect in the future
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

Promises, promises....:smileyhappy: 

I will believe it when I see Google as a default search. At this moment, all articles on the web, even the ones that are quoting VZW spokesperson, indicate that Bing will live as default not just on Fascinate but on more devices to come.

So only time will tell who is right.

0 Likes
cwrigley

If I want BING search I'll buy a microsoft phone. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

with 2.2 you are supposed to be able to instal the various google apps and widgets. it WILL NOT be the default search though. by this, i mean that the actual search button on your phone will still use bing, but that you could place the google widget on your home screen. if that were the case then everyone would have their options and i don't see any real problems. you'll just touch the widget instead of the search button. no biggie in my opinion.

0 Likes
frostyjay

Bing isn't bad. I just prefer using Google for voice, search, navigation, etc. and I'm happy it's been made the default on my HTC Droid Incredible.

If Verizon REALLY cares about its costumers, it would give us a choice between the two, or perhaps continue offering different high end phones with both. Maybe they could even throw in a Yahoo phone as well. 

0 Likes
tdperry
Contributor - Level 1

PJNC284 wrote:

I guarantee that removing those apps will have no noticable impact on device performance.  It's just personal preference.  What verizon SHOULD start doing is get rid of subsidized pricing and make everyone pay full retail since so many people want to whine and always want something for nothing.

I already pay full price for all the phones I get.... so why should I have to put up with the cr*pware that is on there, or at least why can't I uninstall it.  I've purchased (usually on the day of release) the following phones: HTC Incredible, Droid X, and now the Samsung Fascinate, so that's over $1800 in the last 3 or 4 months that they've gotten.  I think they have MORE than made a profit, espicially since only 1 phone is in use at a time.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

If all of the bloat apps were removed, I'm sure you'd be paying a good bit more than what full retail is now. They should offer the choice though.

0 Likes
Chris3D3

CR6 said: Too many people are making far too big an issue out of Bing being on the Fascinate.  If you don't want Bing as your default search engine, either bookmark Google and search from there or root your phone and get rid of it altogether.  Two very simple solutions

Thoes are not acceptable solutions. 

Placing a bookmark to the full google web site on the desktop is a cumbersome work-around to the functionality provided by the Google search widget that Verizon BLOCKS.

Rooting the phone instantly voids the warranty.  A customer should not have to loose the warranty on an expensive purchase just to efficiently use Google, arguably the world's leading search engine, on a Google based phone. 

The real simple, responsible and honest solution would be for Verizon to not actively BLOCK the ability to use the Google search widget and configure the browser to use the Google search engine.  Pre-configure it with Bing, but allow the customer to change it if they want. 

And it should be noted, these abilities were in the stock Android OS before Verizon had them REMOVED.   We're not asking for functionality to be added to the phone, we're just asking that functionality not be removed. 

The removal of said functionality provides absolutely zero benefit to the customer, and in fact costs them time, money and security.  So no, people are not making far too big of a deal out of this.  The way in which Verizon's actions in this issue negatively effects the consumer should be a concern for everyone. 

0 Likes
yellowboy74
Enthusiast - Level 3

PJNC284 wrote:

I guarantee that removing those apps will have no noticable impact on device performance.  It's just personal preference.  What verizon SHOULD start doing is get rid of subsidized pricing and make everyone pay full retail since so many people want to whine and always want something for nothing.

You're kidding me right? Do you actually think that you are not paying full price of these phones. May i inform you that just because you get the $199 discount doesn't mean your not paying full price for the phone. Its pretty much like a lay-away plan. There are hidden charges in your montlly phone plan that goes toward the price of the phone every month for a 2 year period. The only benefit customers get is not having to pay all the money up front. Why do you think they charge you a ETF of $350 if you decide to break your contract. Thats  to make up for the lost of the value of the phone.

0 Likes