Re: Great article about the Galaxy Nexus update saga
zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for the article

Shinnen13
Contributor - Level 1

I doubt the update delay has any connection to isis vs wallet. When the gnex was first released, they went around and around about that. I think after having been with Verizon for several years, and having several different phones with them, is it is just another example of how Verizon wants to do it their way regardless of anything else.

Verizon, initially, pushed against wallet to add their bloatware Isis, but didn't have a competent version.

They added their bloatware and branded the phone in exchange for releasing exclusivity to the phone.

They treat the nexus updates as any other phone and still try to add their crapware to it.

They will always Champion the "Droid" line because they get to have their sticky fingers in all of it.

Also, as a side note, I have a little difficulty in believing their rigorous testing process. I was on a beta test for a different phone, and having worked in software and dev testing for years, I had no clue of how the build I got was even greenlighted for beta. Within 2 hours of the update, the phone was unusable...How did it get past the base QA like that?

and just because they still support the incredible or evo, does not guarantee that they will continue to support the Gnex. Since there is an apparent level of playing favorites by Verizon, and since the Evo and Incredible still make them money and don't really cause problems for them, of course they want to keep those phones around. But in the light of how disappointing the GNex on Verizon has been, and the honest press around it, it is just a thorn in their side.

A few months ago, I was hopeful that we would get to see keylime. At this point, I would be shocked if we got anything past the o.s. that we have now.

zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

I'm beginning to have my doubts too, to whether the GNex is going to get KeyLime after Google I/O in may when they announce it. Also the New Motorola X phone running pure stock Android like a nexus is suppose to be sold by Moto or Google across all carriers, sounding like they can surpass the carriers to get back some control over their product. It is going to have some type of revolutionary innovation that neither Samsung nor Apple has, making it sound like no one will pass it up to carry on their network. Samsung moved up their SG4 unveiling it seems to get their product out first before Mot/ Google since they released the SG3 last June.

After my contract is up, I may as well leave since the only thing they offer is coverage and nothing else for me, hopefully Dish/Google will have their network up by the end of this year like they want to, information at 9to5google.com.

Shinnen13
Contributor - Level 1

That would be interesting to see what the Moto X has...I had an older version and was fairly craptastic. But, if Google did get involved with Motorola Mobile after they purchased it, who knows what the outcome could be....If not, they can keep their "blur" because it has got to be one of the worst UIs I have ever seen.

After reading a few reviews about the Nexus 4, it became apparent that everyone's worry about the lack of LTE can go to the birds. From what I have read, HSPA+ is fractionally slower. As well, though the At&t doesn't have more towers than Verizon but their speeds are faster. If I am patient enough with Verizon, I will wait til my contract is up and get the next Nexus in line...If I get too impatient, I will buy out my contract or push them to drop the early termination fees since the service "promised" is not being delivered and am not just speaking of the GNEX....

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

All in all, this episode is incredibly laughable. The best part is that now Verizon's Mobile remote app is finally usable in Android 4.2. It has suffered from idiotic login problems since 4.2 came out.  if this were 6 months ago when I was far more optimistic about Verizon's desire to truly be the best there is, and not a bunch of money grubbing incompetent boobs, I would speculate that because of this fact that a 4.2.x update might actually be imminent.  I would not hold my breath about the Motorola X. I'm sure that Verizon will find some way to completely ruin the experience.  like I said before maybe theyll surprise us...  monkeys would have to fly out of your you know what for that to happen.

P.s.  I find it most amusing that nearly 30% of the threads in the Gnex category are complaints mostly about the lack of service.

Solitaire605
Enthusiast - Level 2

There were legal concerns involved which brought about the update to those devices.

0 Likes
Solitaire605
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you do a  search for Google Wallet, you can find it & side load it as I have, & it works fine. The line they fed me was that Google Wallet was an insecure app & if you lost your phone somebody would have access to all of your bank accounts & credit cards which is untrue unless the person that gets your phone also gets your Google Wallet PIN that you have to input every time you use it.