Gps is abysmal
Kamar234

I am unable to get a quick gps fix with this phone unless I am connected witth wifi. If I do get a gps lock, with out wifi, it takes 30 seconds to a minute if I'm lucky. I used the gps and google maps on my phone daily on my old phone, the original Droid. Is there something that we can do about this or am I going to have to wait for some kind of update to fix it.

0 Likes
Re: Gps is abysmal
o4liberty
I find the GPS on the Fascinate much better than most saying. I had the Droid X and yes it connected better but would not stay connected. My fascinate connectes within 30 seconds and stays connected. I am sure Samsung will have a fix for this issue soon.
0 Likes
brad0286

I have noticed it does take a minute for the gps to work but after that it works flawlessly.  I haven't had any problems with it thank goodness because all the other galaxy s phones have a gps problem.

0 Likes
tsebek

i just got the fascinate last week and cannot get a good gps location. Seems that no matter where i am at the location is off by at least a half mile. My blackberry was pinpoint on. Kind of disappointed so far... hope there is an update soon.

0 Likes
guts55

I am not tech savvy and just got this phone about 10 days ago.  The GPS app that I use shows excellent GPS signal and so far, the Google maps works great.  It took maybe 20-25 seconds to lock on.  No GPS problems for me yet. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I think there's definitely an issue there for a lot of people with slow initial gps lock.  I previously had issues where if I hadn't actively used the gps in a while, it'd sit on Searching for GPS for 3-5min when using Google Nav.  The past couple days it's been working fine and the locks are much quicker.  Only thing I've done is turn off VZW location services under Location & Security. I also downloaded GPS Status from the market and reset and redownload the AGPS data in Settings->GPS & Sensors ->Manage A-GPS state 

0 Likes
yaboidh

i have had my fascinate for about a week and a half now. using google i do get a location fairly fast but when i try to navigate it keeps saying that its trying to get get a good gps signal. the directions will show in the list view, but it will not start the voice navigation. anyone knows why..

0 Likes
billsfan2a

Was afraid of the GPS issues as well.  After downloading the GPS Status app, and of course going outside, was able to get a location lock and had no problem navigating with Google Maps thereafter.  The volume in the GPS app could be louder; hopefully they'll fix that one of these days.

0 Likes
Kabob

I was having GPS issues as well but whilst browsing through the Marketplace I came upon an app called "GPS Status & Toolbox" and several of the comments mentioned that it made the GPS work much better on their Galaxy S phones.  I gave it a download and lo and behold I'm connecting MUCH faster than I was and holding said connections.

Downloaded it to my boss's Captivate and he still has no luck (finds zero satellites), so YMMV.

0 Likes
suzola

Sometimes I have to wait for 5 minutes for a GPS lock. I have downloaded a couple of applications trying to help. Once I get a lock then it works pretty well the rest of the day.  But I have to do the same thing the next day.

0 Likes