Re: Google Navigation freezing Samsung Fascinate.
rivers56
Enthusiast - Level 1

mommymango,

Since I posted above about uninstalling and then reinstalling, I have had the device freeze-up on me again. As it happened, I was in a shopping area where there was a Verizon franchise store. I went in and asked if they could help me with a technical issue. The associate there showed me a step that I did not know about. 1. Open "Task Manager". 2. Select "RAM" from the tool bar at the top of the screen. 3. Press the "Clear Memory" button TWICE. This reduces the amount of unused resources operating (perhaps in the background). Once he did this, the Google navigation app started right up! So far there have been no further issues. BUT...it has only been two days, so we will see what happens over time.

Another thing he suggested was that when I want to use turn by turn navigation, open Google maps first, in order to have the device establish my location, then open the turn by turn navigation function from there by tapping the maps icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Please let me know if this helps with your device.

0 Likes
duiwel

Dear gods thank you so much.

I love the Samsung Fascinate, so much so that I even 'downgraded' to it from the 4G stratosphere. (my kid broke my first one, and then broke the stratosphere, so I said screw it -- go back to fascinate.)

I was REALLY bummed when I couldn't get the navigation to work because I am hopeless with directions and I -NEED- that shit.

This worked like a charm and therefore I love you.

Carry on.

0 Likes
schmiege

Mine just began doing this!  Of course it was in the middle of a long road trip.  My solution? Downloaded Mapquest navigation and problem solved.  Managed the rest of the trip down without problems.

0 Likes