Google Navigation freezing Samsung Fascinate.
stevostan1

Hello all,

Recently Google Navigation works intermittently, since updates in May or so.  Sometimes it works just fine, other times it will lock on the "google navigation" logo screen.  If I let it 'think' and the screen goes black, I can't get it to come out of the standby blank screen.  To the point that I have to remove my case and open up the phone to remove the battery to get my phone to restart to work again.  A real pain. - It has even done this in the middle of navigating!

Anybody else have this issue, or have a fix for it?  Deleting the cache, re-downloading, etc. doesn't seem to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
Re: Google Navigation freezing Samsung Fascinate.
RyGuy20

I am having the same issue. My phone even goes into "Safe Mode" sometimes (no idea what this means or why it does this). I have almost completely given up on Naigation working on this phone.  Sometimes I think I take my battery out more than I breath.

I have been given 3 replacent phones with different stores giving different information / reasons for the locking up. I think they just don't feel like dealing with the issue, so they just order me a new phone.

SOMEONE HELP, PLEASE!!!!

0 Likes
Ca11ie

I am having this exact problem and have even gone back to Verizon to report it. Verizon acted like it was never reported and even sent me a replacement phone under warranty. Now I have the exact problem....?

My original issue started when I updated phone software prior to this it worked fairly well.

I have gone on to several forums and have attempted some work arounds but still no luck.

How is it that a Google phone is not capatible with Google Maps/Navigation???

Why does it seem to work with VZ Nav? Is Verizon blocking the GPS / device?

HELP!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello RyGuy20,  I apologize for the delay but now help has arrived!  We should always be fully troubleshooting your concerns and determining the best resolution!  Does the phone only lock up and go into Safe Mode when using Google Maps or Navigation?  Try clearing the cache of the Maps program.  Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Maps>Clear cache and/or data.

Thank You,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
rivers56
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you YaleK_VZW...However, as soon as I tried your suggestion, my phone locked up upon the first attempt to use Google Navigation.  What now?

0 Likes
butterat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have you updated to the newest version of Google Maps?  I was having the same problem up until recently (less than a month ago).  Ran the update, and the app works MUCH better now.

0 Likes
rivers56
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I do update whenever I am notified that there is

an update available.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rivers56,

Oh my! Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing issues with Google Maps. Let's put your phone on Safe Mode to determine if there is another application interfering with your Google Maps. Here is how to put your phone on Safe Mode http://bit.ly/H4EKTJ. While your phone is on Safe Mode, try out Google Maps. Does it still freeze?

If it doesn't freeze, we would then need to complete a Master Reset. Here is how to complete that Master Reset http://bit.ly/Ugfz5F.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

NidiaA_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
rivers56
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi NidiaA !

Thank you for your support. Before I got your suggestion, I decided to uninstall Google Maps and then reinstall just to see if that might help. So far, the application has not had a freeze-up, and I have cycled it on and off several times. I will continue to work with it to see if there are any other issues. If there are, then will try what you have suggested and send feed back.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
mommymango

i have the same issue. i have reinstalled, reset my phone to factory settings sometimes it freezes, and sometimes it works.

frustrating. but i have had this issue ongoing since i got the phone two years ago,

0 Likes