Gave up and ordered the Samsung Droid Charge today, like 100 other Fasinate owners at this store
potove
Enthusiast - Level 3

I finally decided on the Samsung Droid Charge.   Played with the X2 and Incredible at the VZW store, but wasn't too impressed with the screens.  Samsung still seem to have the best-looking screen.(not "better" than the Fascinate's screen... just "bigger")

Anyway...  I went into the local Verizon Wireless corporate store.  There was one other customer ahead of me.  I walked around the store and looked at the Charge to make sure I was making a right decision.  A couple of minutes, a VZW rep became available and I told her what I needed.   I said "I have a Fascinate that was missing....." she stopped me before I coudl finish my sentence and said she would order me a Samsung Droid Charge.  :smileyhappy:  (probably saw me playing with the Droid Charge?)

She asked for my phone#, last 4 digits of SSN#, and a daytime shipping address & phone# for FedEx 2-day.   I had to sing on the electronic pad and agree to return my current Fascinate once the Charge is delivered.   The receipt printed out.  The whole process took less than 3 minutes, probably faster if I wasn't chatting with her at the same time.  She was extremely friendly and helpful.(and so hot... and so out of my league :smileysad: )  Apparently she also had her own Fascinate replaced with the Charge and have been happy so far.(her words, not mine)  She went on to say that her store has probably processed over 100 such orders for Fasicinate owners ever since the policy was implemented  (they are the only Verizon corporate store within 50 miles and that seemed like an alarmingly huge number to me, considering my town is extremely small, population under 13,492)

I was slightly disappointed when the receipt showed "CLNR" because I knew it meant certified like-new replacement.    This store's manager told me last weeek that I would get a "NEW" Droid Charge.     However, I didn't really care.  I'm okay with it, as long as the "CLNR" that I get has no scratches on the screen, works per manufacturer specs and comes with the battery/door/SIM card.  (if not, I will just ask them to exchange it again with another CLNR)

Oh well... I guess I'll know how it goes when FedEx delivers it in a couple of days. 

0 Likes
Re: Gave up and ordered the Samsung Droid Charge today, like 100 other Fasinate owners at this store
suzigirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sure you'll be happier with the new phone.  I myself got the Droid X2 because it's a Motorola, which pulls a better signal in my area.  Not only that but 4G won't be in my area for about 9 months anyway, and I'm a bit concerned about all the posts about the Charge losing its internet connection.  The X2 didn't have major issues on the message boards, and I didn't like how the Incredible 2 navigated (since I was already used to the Fascinate with it being and Android phone).

Best wishes!

0 Likes
Re: Gave up and ordered the Samsung Droid Charge today, like 100 other Fasinate owners at this store
potove
Enthusiast - Level 3

suzigirl wrote:

I'm sure you'll be happier with the new phone.  I myself got the Droid X2 because it's a Motorola, which pulls a better signal in my area.  Not only that but 4G won't be in my area for about 9 months anyway, and I'm a bit concerned about all the posts about the Charge losing its internet connection.  The X2 didn't have major issues on the message boards, and I didn't like how the Incredible 2 navigated (since I was already used to the Fascinate with it being and Android phone).

Best wishes!

Verizon shipped it out of Fort Worth, TX, using FexEx 2-day, but since I'm within FexEx 1-day radius,

the phone arrived this morning! :smileyhappy:  

I was disappointed :smileysad:  that it wasn't CLNR(certified like-new replacement) as the receipt had indicated.

NO, IT:S BETTER! :smileyhappy:   They sent me a new Droid Charge in original retail box. :smileyhappy:   I called back

immediately to make sure that they didn't send it by mistake and charged my acct for a new phone.  

The rep looked it up and found out that they're currently shipping new units this week because they're

out of certified like-new units.   Can't really argue with that. :smileyhappy:

I don't have time to activate it and swap out my Fascinate right now. I'll do it when I get home this evening.  

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

Potove, it was really tha easy? I would love to get our Fascinates traded out for a Charge, the screen is gorgeous, just like the fascinate and both look really nice too. Can you do this at any Verizon wireless store or does it have to be a VZW Corp store?

0 Likes
potove
Enthusiast - Level 3

first, let me say that it's YMMV. :smileyhappy:   

I took my Fascinate to the local Verizon Wireless corporate store.  It cannot be one of those

"authorized Verizon Wireless dealers" which are not operated by Verizon Wireless. 

Tell the Verizon employee that your Fascinate phone has problems(such as missing calls)

and that you would like to have it replaced with a Samsung Droid Charge.  (if you want

the Motorola or HTC, then you can just do this over the phone without making a trip to the

store)

The VZW employee should know what you're talking about. If not, have him search their

InfoManager database using "70946" which will bring up their Fascinate replacement

policy.    Based on what I've read here, there are some VZW stores that will argue with

you and make you go through troubleshooting steps.  This is not required, as clearly

stated in VZW's own policy for the Fascinate.  They know that the problem has no fix

at this time, which is why they implemented this policy.   If the VZW store that you go

to gives you a hard time, go visit another VZW store. (unless you live in a small town

like me and there is only one VZW store within 50 miles...)

The VZW store that i went to was very nice and knew immediately what to do.  I was in

and out within minutes. The phone arrived via FedEX and it was a BRAND NEW phone

in retail box.   Again, this may vary.... others on this forum have reported getting 

certified like-new phones.     I had to go back to the store because VZW forgot to include

the 4G SIM card which is required for 4G phones.   The manager gave me a SIM card

and activated it for me.   She said that most of the customers who exchanged Fascinate

for the Droid Charge have been getting new phones in the last few weeks.... the reason

is that VZW doesn't have that many pre-owned Droid Charge phones. That's not surprising

because the Droid Charge has been out only a couple of months.

VZW only guarantees that you will get a cerfitied like-new replacement Samsung Droid Charge.

It should be as good as new. If not, VZW should have no problem exchanging it for another

until you're happy.   I personally would not have minded if they sent me a like-new unit.

Makes no real difference to me.  IMHO, getting a brand-new phone in retail box was just a

just a nice bonus. 

My Droid Charge has been working great and I am very grateful for all the information that

other VZW customers and employees have posted on this forum. 

Please feel free to ask me if you have other questions and I'll try to help. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

Awesome, thanks for your insight and help. I will try taking this to the corporate store today or tomorrow and see what happens.

0 Likes