Re: Galaxy Nexus doesn't charge
Spotteddawg

same issue here!!! but I have been 3 weeks into it now trying to figure it out. Not just me but 100+ others on a droid forum. We have been flooding verizon, google and samsung with this issue and each one is passing buck to one another. Verizon knows this is an issue..how do I know? I have called and spoke with a tech and explained whats going on and the various checks that have been done and later that same week a programmer that I was in the lab with had the same tech on the phone, the tech told him he hadn't heard of this issue! it was the first he had heard of it. The same damn thing he told me 4 days prior!... New batteries bought ,4 so far, nothing..I'm a micro electronic engineer so I have access, at the university, of equipment not found on the open market. Hard wired systems all pass. Battery is in fact receiving correct voltage with A/C charger of 1000mA @ 5Vac. charging thru board is good. Battery is holding charge applied thru board..In my case once the charge reaches approx 3600mAh were it starts to tamper the charge to full cap. It starts a discharge while plugged up. All processes up front and back ground have been stopped it continues its discharge of roughly -91mAh from 71% down to 68% once to around 68% it charges @ 32mAh to 71% and the cycle bounces back and forth never reaching over 71%. phone turned off but still plugged in A/C outlet. after reviewing battery stats while phone is OFF but plugged in, it shows a lose of -358mAh for about 10 minutes at various time frames thru out the night. So now because neither of the 3 parties are attempting to help, a small community of source code programers are working on the issue. We believe as of right now its background programs out pacing the charge combined with the calibration of the battery being off..A SOFTWARE ISSUE. Phone has been returned twice at my expense and both times it returned it charged correctly for about 3 days before going back to the charge issue..and before anyone ask...no there were no apps installed! just the bloatware the phone comes with..dont try that accuse big red..Anyone remember the NetFlix mistake?

0 Likes
Going360

I did get a new replacement phone. We'll see how long it works, it wasn't a battery problem, the tech(?) I talked to indicated his suspicion was a charger or connection issue.  I believe a charger/firmware issue as it would charge when turned off but not otherwise.  New phone works like advertised, but even after two months with first smartphone still learning capabilities (I have better things to do).

I will call earlier next time, and demand that they pay for expidited shipping.

0 Likes
sbhall52

Same here. Bought my phone at Best Buy yesterday; it will only discharge when plugged in and powered on. Clearly, VZW and Samsung must both be aware of this issue, but it doesn't seem to be a priority.

0 Likes
klwinkel

I too think it is a software issue, because it charges after a boot, without touching the usb cable.

Have you found out something lately about this issue?

0 Likes
faultysamsung
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a similar issue. I found some threads on android forums stating how to fix it (might work for you, not sure):

the small flange inside the charging port is VERY cheap and flexible. If it bends and comes in contact with the inside wall of the port, your phone's charging will go haywire. take a tooth pick or a paper clip (probably take the battery out first) and try to bend the flange so that it is not touching the inside wall. if that flange is surrounded by air, your phone should return to normal charging behavior. also make sure there is no dirt, dust or debris, as this also might sacrifice the integrity of connections.

I'm convinced this isnt something verizon is willing to tell you. first, they dont want you to break the flange and them be liable (which is sort of understandable). But, they could easily attempt this fix in store.

I'll never buy samsung again. Most likely i'll only buy apple so that if an issue does arise, i can deal with the actual manufacturer and dont have to deal with verizon's customer service. actually, im probably leaving verizon too.

nfrenz

after 3 nexus' Verizon replaced with Razor Max. Much better phone overall and battery lasts all day even with heavy use. I think the Galaxy has major issues.

0 Likes
idleFLUX

I'm so disappointed, this too has happened to my Nexus.  And of all days, the day Jelly Bean is finally pushed!  On top of the phone not holding a charge, the tech support was walking me through a factory reset, which I've done on MANY phones in the past, but they all had SD cards.  I asked her if this reset was going to erase my pictures since the Nexus doesn't have any separate storage, and she told me it wouldn't because it's part of the phone's "internal storage".  I believed her, because she's a ****** Verizon tech support!!!!  They should know what the **** they're talking about.  But of course, after charging the phone for 2 hours and managing to get 7% of juice, I turn it on, and all my pictures are gone.  I should've known not to believe her, as this is definitely NOT the first time I've been given misinformation through these "trained" Verizon reps.  I'm am so, SO, disappointed, and all I have to say, is that the price for Verizon, is NOT worth it.  If you're looking at this and considering Verizon, I would tell you don't do it!  Go with someone else.  Their prices are so expensive and their customer support reps and tech support are a bunch of idiots.  Before this happened, I was going to get a Nexus through an upgrade, and after speaking to three reps and completing the whole order by phone, it wasn't until I had the new Nexus in hand, trying to activate, that I was told I would have to remove my unlimited data plan to go through with the upgrade for the line- when I was told wayyyyy before, that I was grandfathered in for the unlimited data.  I've been with Verizon on this account since 2008, and before then, on my father's Verizon account since 2001, when I was in middle school and received my first cell phone.  I'm still locked in my contracts for awhile.  But to everyone who's not, go to Sprint or somewhere cheaper!!!!!!

0 Likes
altaskier

Hello -

Please add me to the list of many folks with Nexus problems

I also had  a non charging galaxy Nexus ---

In use for 11 months -

Went to my local verizon store

They verified the problem --- ordered a refurbished one - I paid for shipping $

The refurbished one lasted three days ----  Screen Freezes --- is inoperable

sometimes could unlock --- now nothing -- Great replacement !!!!!!

I had just installed a Zagg screen protector --- more $ lost??

Also am losing my Time - which has value -- going to store

setting up phone again, etc

Will let you know what happens

0 Likes
Fudazzle
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought my Nexus in March. My first replacement was in May, when the phone was extremely unstable and everything forced closed random apps all of the time.  The "new" refurbished phone was great. I finally saw the hype about the Nexus, until about 3 weeks ago. One day after work my phone beeped low battery; So, I put it on the charger.  I watched it for about 5 minutes as it would light up for a second and charge, then say not charging, within 15 minutes it was dead and would not turn on.  I tried the HTC charger, would not charge.  I tried several outlets in my house, with no luck.  I called Verizon.  They immediately said they would ship me out a refurbished phone at the overnight price of $12.99, which they finally agreed to wave.  By the next evening, I still did not have a phone!!!! I called Verizon again, and the customer service rep informed me that it was never approved by a manager.  Needless to say, I am extremely upset by this time.  The following day, Halloween, I finally get my 2nd refurbished phone in the mail.  I am really excited!! I put my battery in, and it beeps low battery and dies.  I go to plug it in the charger.  It will not charge!!!!  This time, I take both phones into the store.  They take a look at my phone and say its the battery.  Not to worry, my phone is still under warranty, so they swap it out. I'm one happy camper! I go home.  I'm playing on my phone it beeps low battery.  I plug it in, it won't charge.  I try both of my Verizon approved chargers, no luck.  I go back to the store.  Turns out both chargers are broke.  They replace my charger and tell me to send back the new refurbished phone to Verizon - problem solved well for 2 weeks at least.  I woke up this morning to a dead phone that will not charge.  I am irritated beyond belief!!! My phone is killing batteries and chargers. I have had it with the NEXUS!!!! 

m4ttyb218

I was having the same issue. It seems to have been the little HDMI port male connection. I took a butter knife and carefully pushed the male metal prong towards the screen-side of the phone. Plugged it in and viola! It works. Let me know if this works for you. Best of luck

0 Likes