Re: Galaxy Nexus cannot send/receive voice calls or texts, can browse internet with 4G data.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dwest94, this is an odd coincidence! Let's investigate this matter. Have you downloaded a few 3rd party applications to your device? Some 3rd party applications can affect the performance of your device. I recommend that you uninstall a few applications, briefly remove the sim card, and power your device off/on to soft reset it. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus cannot send/receive voice calls or texts, can browse internet with 4G data.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi DaveinDiego. Changing out the SIM card is definitely a good step to take in getting your services back. Thanks for trying! Do you seem to only have the issue with service when in a particular zipcode? Did the new SIM have any improvement in your service? Has your phone been damaged or exposed to moisture? Is the phone less than a year old or do you have an extended warranty or insurance? Please share a few more details about your personal experience and we'll see what we need to do to get your phone working again.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Zeldacat

I'm having this same problem. First, it happened when I visited West Virginia, but when I came back to Virginia my phone worked fine. Every time I went to West Virginia, this happened, but I didn't deal with it because I was only out there for a day. Now the phone/text won't work in my area in Virginia. Did your phone end up staying "fixed" when you went to Florida?

0 Likes
PopNetInfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sadly no. As soon as I got back to Florida it had the same issues.

I called Verizon while in New York and they said they would do a follow up

call the next day when I would be back in Florida. They did not follow up

and I ended up calling them the following weekend. I explained what

happened and they said that they would look into it. They said they had

engineers check the area for signal issues and I had to explain that no

other Verizon phone around me was having this issue. They then had a Level

3 tech support follow up with me and we did all the same troubleshooting

from the 1st and 2nd tech support calls, same result. They stated it must

be the phone and suggested I call Samsung as they are the manufacturer and

are responsible for the hardware of the device. The Samsung support line

they provided was 888-987-4357, but I have not called them.

When troubleshooting the last time the tech on the phone mentioned that she

was receiving a ping signal from my phone that was indicating that it was

trying to connect through the Sprint cellular network. Whether that was for

the LTE or CDMA/GSM bands I'm not sure. I've not had any issues with 4G

Data and the speeds seem to be the higher end Verizon ones that I am used

to and to the best of my knowledge our version of the phone does not have a

GSM radio. When she had me boot into recovery and clear my Dalvik Cache

then boot into safemode the phone stopped sending any signal of any kind

(including data) and that was when she decided it was time for a new phone.

I left it in safe mode and a short while after the call ended my 4G data

connection returned but no call/text still.

I'm not a cellular networking engineer but this is what I know:

This issue started randomly. I did not damage the phone it did not over

heat. I was at dinner and it was in my pocket.

I have never had issues with 4G LTE network only the CDMA network.

My phone says "No Mobile Network Available" indicating that it does not see

a CDMA network, or is not allowed to connect to it.

When in "Roaming" mode I was able to make phone calls and send text.

I believe Sprint has some sort of CDMA network, which would make sense with

what the 3rd support call stated, and my phone can connect to their network.

If Verizon edits the following statement please contact me directly for the

info.

After all this and a month+ of not having a phone I tried reflashing the

radios with ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and the LTE radio took about 3

seconds then when it moved down to the CMDA radio it took 94 seconds to

flash but did say successful.

Here is the log:

sending 'radio' (10496 KB)...

OKAY

writing 'radio'...

OKAY

finished. total time: 3.692s

sending 'radio-cdma' (3724 KB)...

OKAY

writing 'radio-cdma'...

OKAY

finished. total time: 232.964s

As you can see it's taking 30 times longer to write 1/3 of the data, which

just doesn't add up. As I said before I am not a cellular engineer so take

what I say with a grain of salt.

Conclusion, there are likely 2 scenarios happening.

1. The CDMA radio has issues to the point Verizon's network does/can/will

not recognize my device but other cellular providers will.

2. My device has been black listed (probably for still having 😮 unlimited

data) or the ESN/MEID is reported as stolen. Both of which I'm not sure how

to find out.

I hope this helps everyone else out here. Let me know if you have more info.

0 Likes
PopNetInfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

EDIT:

Apparently the log had code that Verizon's forums recognize as links to posts. Here is a slightly edited version.

sending 'radio' (10496 KB)...

OKAY - 1.054s

writing 'radio'...

OKAY - 2.638s

finished. total time: 3.692s

sending 'radio-cdma' (3724 KB)...

OKAY - 0.383s

writing 'radio-cdma'...

OKAY - 94.456s

finished. total time: 232.964s

0 Likes
1arryb

I lost my GN and got a replacement from Asurion ($99 deductable, Ouch!). I've had the exact same problem with the replacement phone from day 1:

Intermittently, the phone will lose it's connection to the Verizon network. This affects both 3g and 4g, voice and data. WiFi is unaffected. I've even had the voice cut out in the middle of a call, causing a spontaneous reboot. The outage can *sometimes* but not always, be cleared by either turning airplane mode on/off or rebooting the phone. The outage eventually clears itself after minutes/hours, but always comes back.

I've been online a bunch with Asurion tech support and we've done 3 factory resets. The last time, I told the phone *not* to restore my apps and data from backup. Problem still happens.

Asurion is supposed to deliver replacement phone x2 today. I'll update this post when I get it.

Cheers

0 Likes
MattAPaul

I'm having the same issue with my Nexus here in Florida.  Spoke with technical support via live chat and we came to the conclusion to get a new SIM card, which didn't work. 😕  About to get back on with technical support again.  I feel it's most likely the radio.  Only 2 months until my contract ends!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

MattAPaul wrote:

I'm having the same issue with my Nexus here in Florida.  Spoke with technical support via live chat and we came to the conclusion to get a new SD card, which didn't work. 😕  About to get back on with technical support again.  I feel it's most likely the radio.  Only 2 months until my contract ends!

I hope you meant a new SIM card, because there isn't a SD card slot in the Galaxy Nexus phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MattAPaul

Ha, I did, thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@MattAPaul,

I definitely don't want to see you go! Let's get your phone back up and running! Being able to call and text is definitely a must!

Is this happening only in a certain area? What's the zip code where you are experiencing these challenges? Does this happen only when indoors, or outdoors as well? Have you contacted our technical support since you posted here? Please keep me posted if you need further assistance.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes