Galaxy Nexus cannot send/receive voice calls or texts, can browse internet with 4G data.
PopNetInfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Question:

Is my CDMA radio dead? Can I replace it? Should I just replace my phone?

Issue:

On 9/20/13 around 10 PM my Galaxy Nexus suddenly stopped accepting/sending voice calls and text messages. The status bar displays a no signal icon and when trying to place any call it says “Mobile network not available”. It will not place utility calls to Verizon and won’t even dial 911. It however still retained a 4G data connection as I could download apps browse the web and watch YouTube videos. I even tried Google Hangouts and a Skype video call both functioned fine. I confirmed that Wi-Fi was disabled and this occurs at multiple locations including ones without a Wi-Fi network. There is a valid 4G IP address listed under the Status menu.

Stock Android 4.2.2

Network: Searching for Service

Signal Strength: -109 dBm 31 asu

Mobile network: LTE:13

Service state: Out of service

Roaming: Not roaming

Mobile network state: Connected

Screen shots:

http://i.imgur.com/ILyETMp.png

http://i.imgur.com/wuITIEr.png

http://i.imgur.com/ttRSBQ0.png

Troubleshooting steps:

I tried powering it off and back on. Then I pulled the battery out and next pulled the SIM can and battery out then powered on the device without the SIM. Without the SIM it still showed the same no mobile network available and data was unavailable. After replacing the SIM data returned but voice calls did not. I even tried a complete factory reset of the device and while 4G data is working great I cannot send/receive phone calls or text messages.

Verizon Support:

The following morning I called Verizon and spoke with Level 1 and Level 2 Tech Support. They had me run all the troubleshooting steps possible and came to the conclusion that it was a cellular engineering problem. They stated they would contact me back within 24 hours with a resolution. 24 hours came and went and still nothing so I called Verizon Tech Support back and spoke with another Level 1 and 2 Tech and repeated some of the same trouble shooting steps. They apologized for the inconvenience and were confident that they would have a solution for me by the end of the day. I provided them an email address and alternate contact number again and 24 hours later I still have not heard back from them.

Re: Galaxy Nexus cannot send/receive voice calls or texts, can browse internet with 4G data.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi PopNetInfo!

I'm sorry to learn of the issues with your device/service, and that you have had to contact us more than once for assistance. Since posting, have you heard back from a supervisor? I'd love to help if this issue has not yet been resolved. Please follow me back in the forums, and then send me a DM with your name and mobile number. I can then review your account and check things out. Thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus cannot send/receive voice calls or texts, can browse internet with 4G data.
PopNetInfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Christina,

Yes I actually heard back from Verizon Support this morning. They said

everything was working on their end and that there was nothing else that

they could do for me at the moment. They suggested I take it into the store

and have them check the phone out. I stopped by a Verizon Wireless store

(not an authorized retailer) and they replaced the SIM card but I still

can't make phone calls while still having a solid data connection. I talked

to two different people there and they both agreed that I should get a new

phone.

Do you have any other suggestions for me at this time? Or should I start

looking into a 3rd party for repair/replacement.

Thank you,

Jeremy

>>Personal information removed to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
DaveinDiego

Any fix? I have been having the exact same issue and all the verizon rep could do was change the sim card as well.

0 Likes
PopNetInfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

No unfortunately not. All I can surmise is that the CDMA radio died but the

LTE radio is still going strong. Some local electronics chop shops "think"

they can fix it for $50-70 but I'd rather not risk it and break the LTE

radio as well.

I've basically resigned to using GrooveIP to do VOIP and wait/hope for the

Nexus 5 on Verizon. If you come up with a solution please let me know.

0 Likes
Dwest94

I'm having the same exact issue as well, I spoke with tier 1 and 2 tech support with no resolve. They were telling me that it's my phone and started selling me on other products... There has got to be a fix

0 Likes
PopNetInfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry I don't have any solutions for you. As far as I can tell the CDMA

radios on these devices are "expiring". I've tried everything I can think

of, within reason. I called Verizon and even got a ticket opened with a

level 3 Engineer, no luck. I took it to a store and they wouldn't even try

to repair it they suggested I purchase a new phone.

I even took it apart myself using this

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/SamsungGalaxyNexus+Teardown/7182/1 break

down and inspected the parts. Nothing seemed to be damaged or corroded. I

have not tried replacing any parts or doing a "reflow" on it yet as I don't

want to loose the LTE radio as well.

If you make any progress please let us know!

0 Likes
PopNetInfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>comments deleted<<   and the same exact issue is happening which leads me to believe it is most likely a hardware issue.

>>Post edited to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service    Discussion concerning rooting, jailbreaking, or modding is not permitted in this forum<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
PopNetInfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just arrived in NYC and turned my phone on and sure enough I can

send/receive phone cals and text messages.

We will see what happens when I get back to Florida

0 Likes
PopNetInfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just arrived in NYC and turned my phone on and sure enough I can

send/receive phone cals and text messages.

We will see what happens when I get back to Florida.

0 Likes