Re: Galaxy Nexus battery drain after 4.2.2 update
sak2888

I experienced the same problem after the upgrade. The exchange service ate the battery up in just about 3 hours and the phone got very hot to the touch. I uninstalled my corporate exchange email account and reinstalled it. I think it has fixed the problem.

0 Likes
kirtlandr

Thanks for the tutorial. Interesting tidbit. Who is it that removes the comments that are disparaging to Verizon? Other customers?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anyone can report any post they think is in violation of the forum's Terms of Service by clicking the Report Abuse button.  The forum Moderators will review the posts (which sometimes can take a while, depending on what-all is going on) and return them intact if the post doesn't violate the forum's ToS, return them with editing (to remove what violated the ToS), or delete them altogether if the entire post violated the ToS.

Edited by:  tikibar1

0 Likes
ElecEngineer

For anyone who did not get the issue resolved by disabling exchange, or maps.  I think I got 2 more things to try. I uninstalled AVG anti-virus and turned off developer options at the same time. My battery life seems to be doing better, and is not nearly as hot. I like the screen to stay on while plugged in, which is why I had developer options on.

Did this work for you?

0 Likes
gateway56

I may have a fix for a few of you using Google Currents..or have it installed...open the app and go to settings and take the check mark out of "Enable background sync" field.....that helped me greatly..

0 Likes
AW2

I'm still draining like crazy.  On the way to work, I had it plugged in on a car charger, it drained 12% with it plugged in!

I've done the exchange uninstall and reinstall that seems to be ok. fluctuating in it's usage, but mostly lower.

It looks like it is all Android OS.  24%.  How do you fix that?  Google + is back up there, I've uninstalled updates and disabled. 

Y'all mention a factory reset.  That scares me.  Can someone, give directions on how to save everything and reinstall?  Someone above mentioned it worked and they did a backup/restore.  I'm afraid.  How exactly does that work.  Does it save to your computer?  Can you alternately, drag over everything to your computer then drag it back?

Thanks, every time I try to do something like a reset, I screw it up so I am very afraid to try anything without detailed instructions.

0 Likes
Matte242

Doing a factory reset will be no different than getting a new phone.  Without knowing what you would like to keep, it makes it harder to tell you what you would need to do in order to keep everything.  I will say that since the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a external SD card, all your photos, text, and everything else stored on the phone will be wiped with a factory reset.

That being said, you can connect your phone to your PC or mac, and drag files over to store them.  If you do, I would suggest entire folders.  After the reset, you can pretty much do the opposite to get them back on your phone.  What I did when I did my last factory reset, I took screen shots of my screens so that I could restore them exactly like they were.

Use this link and it will help with backing up photos, videos, music etc. Also, make sure that you are backing up your apps so that they will download after the reset.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
GR1

Thanks to everyone whe offered solutions here. The 4.2.2 update turned my device into a hand-warmer but I think I have it back to normal. It's a coporate device and I think I'm one of the "lucky" first ones to get the update in our org. I just sent this email internally summarizing how I got past my 4.2.2 issues and thought it might help those who come here later. Here it is:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My phone seems to have normalized. I tried a lot of things but suspect it was deletion/recreation of my Exchange account coupled with disabling/enabling Exchange Services and multiple reboots that finally cured the runaway process issue. Here’s a summary of what I did and learned:

·         Once the 4.2.2 update has been applied and the device reboots:

o   the phone will get HOT!

o   the battery will run down in short order (within an hour or so). 

o   Exchange Services will dominate the CPU
If you go to Settings, Battery you should see that Exchange Services is consuming more battery power than anything else by far

·         To immediately save the battery charge:

o   Turn sync off (you won’t get incoming email automatically), Bluetooth, & GPS

o   go to Settings, Apps, Running and disable Exchange services

o   it was suggested on the link below to uninstall Google Maps but I was only able to uninstall updates to that app since it’s part of the initial image, not downloaded so I don’t know if that helped at all

·         To fix Exchange Services

o   Note your email account settings

§  You AD account (domain\youracct), use port 443 – SSL, host:<company Exchange host> – I think the rest are defaults

o   Delete your exchange account from Email Settings

o   Shutdown the phone, remove the battery, push the sim card to unlatch it and remove it for 10 seconds or more

o   Replace the sim card and battery and power up (not sure if the sim pull did anything but Verizon support recommended it and like chicken soup, it couldn’t hurt…)

o   Recreate your Exchange email account in Email Settings

o   Enable Exchange Services

o   Shutdown/Restart the phone (not sure if this is necessary but again it doesn’t hurt)

·         To be sure the fix worked:

o   Fully charge the device
this will clear out the battery usage stats

o   use the device as you normally do for a while (set sync and other options as you like)

§  it should not get hot as it did immediately after the update

§  Settings, Battery should not show Exchange Services as a major power consumer (or even at all – Screen should be the biggest power draw unless you’re running Bluetooth and/or GPS or another normally intensive app)

I am still having issues with Settings, Display, Sleep  config not sticking. I use an app called Stay Awake which keeps the screen on when plugged in (very useful in the car) and it was not working yesterday afternoon. Every time I have checked the sleep setting, nothing was set. This morning, I set it to max of 10 minutes and Stay Awake seemed to be working for the drive in.  I’m sure I will find some other 4.2.2-related app anomalies but the device seems to be mostly back to normal now.

One other thing I learned is that when Exchange Service was turning the device into a hand-warmer, it was discharging the battery faster than I could recharge it from the USB port of my laptop. I didn’t have my AC charger with me so I don’t know if having it plugged in there would have made a difference. I suggest having a full charge and your AC charger at hand before allowing the 4.2.2 update to be applied.

Most of the actions I took were discussed here: <link to this forum>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Likes
Tom_K

I was able to stop the battery rundown by only disabling exchange, rebooting, then re-enabling exchange.I know deleting and setting up accounts can be a drag, so try that first. Also I didn't need to do anything else (uninstall map updates, remove SIM card, etc.)

You're mileage may vary.  It's possible that more than one app or it's configuration may trigger the increased battery usage  One should check to see which app(s) are actually consuming resources beyond the normal.  This problem is not so widespread as it's not affecting every Galaxy Nexus receiving 4.2.2

0 Likes
Dave07424

This could have been avoided with a managed roll-out or some real user testing.  Looking at this forum and all the wasted time we have all had to endure, it really is a pity we cannot get something in exchange - ex a free month or partial month of service.  But I know that won't happen.

0 Likes