Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all ha
leverlock

Well... I scanned it. I'm too tired to take it all in probably but definitely hope to come back and study it. I enjoy learning about tech and radio was a hobby of mine years ago that I hope to have time for again some day. But either way... signal strength/type/authentication and whatever else is being misinterpreted by the layman here... the phone either opens a webpage in a data session or it doesn't. I can sit on the couch next to my wife and she can have a browser working on the iPhone and with the GNex I could not. So I had to make a choice. Hope that it would get worked out with a software update and not too far down the road or wind up finding out that its in the hardware and then face getting a new phone. I travel way too much to be stuck with a device that has issues. So I appreciate the information you provided above and hope that I can understand the pro's and con's of 4G going forward. I don't expect anything to be perfect but think that this and these other conversations show how much we have all come to count on these little gadget wonders to go with us in our daily lives. And for something that gets (probably) too much attention we all just want it to be as good as it can be.

Oh, and for a laugh... my wife pretty much despises my passion for tech so I was looking for a cell phone with a rotary dial if anyone has one. She probably knows nothing like that exists but maybe with enough scrap parts I could put something together for a laugh next time she's up for phone upgrade.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all ha
Tidbits
Legend

There's a phone reciever that plugs into the 3mm jack and heard it works pretty good. I am unsure the price of that one but I thought about getting one for giggles.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all have.
attman68

Fellow Droid Users,

These are good posts and I am glad to have found this forum and this thread.  I echo most problems stated here but my main issue is the camera.  Put simply, it stinks.   It never really focuses.  I  have held down the button for long and short times, still photos and moving, and most photos are very, very blurry.  Even my beat up Storm2 was able to focus.  With this camera, I press the button and wait a beat for it to focus but it doesn't and all of my photos are mediocre.  The shutter speed is interesting, as are the other camera features, but all I want is a clear picture, in focus.  Any tips?

0 Likes
topspnr

I downloaded free "Juice Defender" for the GN and it's showing me 20% more battery life after fully charged.

Don't use the phone much, but others recommended this app for the battery issue.

0 Likes
Droiddudeaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

BobbyDigi, I'm having nearly identical signal issues. Whenever I turn off wi-fi, it rarely locks onto a 4G or 3G signal. I have reboot the phone about 90 percent of the time to get it to lock on a  signal. I went in at 15 days and Verizon exchanged it for one that was manufactured in 12.11. Got it home and same signal strength and signal issues. My signal varies from -76 inside a Verizon store with a 4G hotspot running to -105 to -115 at work (3 blocks away from the Verizon store). When I reboot the signal is around -93 for the first 5 - 10 minutes then back at -100 +. I live in Scottsdale AZ which has excellent 3G and 4G coverage. The replacement unit has rebooted itself twice right after I activated it, but hasn't since. I'm really tempted by the Razr Maxx as I had the chance to use a friends Droid Razr for 3 weeks before I got the Nexus. I liked it a lot and there were NO signal issues. I have to decide soon....should I keep it and hope a software update does the trick cuz I love ICS, or get the more reliable Razr Maxx...which will get ICS in about 5 months? I'll probably keep the Nexus, I would get frustrated if I had a Maxx and had to wait for months and months for software updates and I'm not a big fan of Blur. Any input is welcome.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all have.
Droiddudeaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, it has a touch focus feature, when I discovered that and you tap the part of the screen where you want the camera to focus, it does it quickly and takes nice pics. Mine also takes nice pics in darker rooms. The flash works well. Try that.

0 Likes
RandyinWV

Well, here is is August 2012 and the Nexus STILL has the 4G issue.  At least the one I bought (and returned) a couple weeks ago had it.  IMHO, if a company cannot fix something in 9 months, don't get it.  If it cannot be fixed in 9 months, it cannot be fixed, period. 

0 Likes