Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all ha
BobbyDigi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would this be true, if the Nexus was still operating strictly on 3G, as the preferred network, as per you setting it that way in the settings though? I've recently been using it strictly on 3G, as you can squeeze a whole day outta the battery life this way, especially if you live in a spotty 4G area. The only real time I continually rock the 4G and compare signals is in the verizon store, which still showed a good discrepancy between phones while all were on 4G. Im currently at 120db 99 asu and Im only in "3G mode". Yet it is unable to find a 3G signal, it went down to 1X/no signal to load up anything. Whereas the phone from last night, same location, same setting at least got a 3G signal. It showed 83db then and the network type was eHRPD:13. Today, new phone: not so much luck. Its so weird. The Nexus reads a signal better and shows a truer idea of the signal strength, but if you cant even get a signal as I am unable to right now, whats the point? On Open Maps I would go from getting a 3G signal of 42% to not being able to connect at home, with my first Nexus. Now, I have yet to make a connection (on 3G) with the replacement via open maps. Ive been referencing 3G because I believe its just more stable, more established coverage (where Im at least) so if you cant get a signal off that, something must be up, especially after getting one off the prior Nexus. The same cant be said of my ancient Dinc1, either. Full bars off 3G here, no problem. Nor with my buddies Droid X. Etc. I mean, Ive heard that samsung radios arent up to par sometimes, but this is ridiculous. I really dont want a rezound, but man...this is frustrating.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all ha
Tidbits
Legend

As I said before Smiley Happy the reason why you are having trouble to connecting to 3G is due to the hybrid authentication scheme. There's a catch with this system and all devices are different going about this.

HTC device will try and auto reconnect(Which drains battery if you have a lot of disconnects per day) every time it fails. This is the one thing I notice and sometimes you won't even see the disconnect and reconnect.  Some devices you have to force to reconnect once it fails or it will check again much later.  The Nexus falls in the latter category.  Sometimes you get lucky and it connects without a hitch, and sometimes it'll take a few tries. When the network went down for the 3rd time this month it took me 6 flips(1 minute intervals) of airplane mode to connect to anything whether 3G or 4G.

You can't compare 3G devices only because they still use the old scheme and always connects.  The new scheme is what giving them trouble.  When Verizon phases out the 3G network and roll out complete 3G/4G network with the new scheme then problems will more than likely be completely gone in that regards.

0 Likes
BobbyDigi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok. Im starting to see it. So even the fact that I am dictating in settings to use the 3G network as the preferred one, it will still have problems because it is still a dual band radio? I do get you man, I really wanna learn more and appreciate you helping me out with all this stuff. In essence, the radio on my Dinc will get better 3G reception than that of a LTE radio, even if the LTE is set to "ignore" the 4G network and focus only on the 3G CDMA side of things, because the Dinc radio is more simplified, with only one band to play with? Is this what your getting at? If so, it makes sense why I am unhappy with the reception of the device. To me, if I tell it to go 3G, it should have no qualms about it and should just go to 3G, but at heart its still a hybrid radio, so its starting to make sense and I realize that I shouldnt throw around words like defective or POS, when its just really quite different and super new (still disappointing though, in the scheme of things). I still would label this a signal problem but maybe not so much a hardware flaw as just living with an LTE phone in a less than steller LTE area.

I just swapped out my extended batt, threw in the original cause its low on juice and I wanna charge it and what do ya know? I finally got a 3G signal. First one of the new year! 83db 2 asu (better than 99, no) on ehrpd:13. If Im reading you right about it not being a hardware issue as much as the way it goes about doing the authentication protocols and what not, maybe there is hope with software fixes. Sorry again tidbits, I tend to be more of a hardware guy and neglect the software side of things. A friend of mine tried the  leaked 4.0.3 radios on his GNex and it seemed to hold onto a signal better as well as made the handoff from 4G to 3G much more quicker and stable but the phone had other issues so he took his back as well. I guess...we just gotta hope that Google does right by us. It really does make sense, it being a problem of how they work, not just some flawed chip in so many devices. I tend to trust google and really love a lot about the phone, less the fact that its a bit of a skitzo (sp) with regards to picking a band/network type and staying on it.

Thanks for the clarification man. You have patience beyond your years.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all have.
austineddie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I haven't had any problems with it auto-rebooting but the signal problems are driving me up the wall. It simply loses data connectivity even though I have plenty of bars and good dbms. What happens to me is that the 3g and bars gray out (instead of the usual ICS blue) - losing data connectivity. I open up SpeedTest when this happens and the app tells me there are connectivity issues. I open up Spotify and it says I'm offline. I'm actually experiencing this issue RIGHT NOW as I type this review...putting the phone on airplane mode doesn't help and have to reboot - VERY annoying.

Other friends who purchased the Galaxy Nexus are experiencing the exact same problem. A particular friend confirmed he's going to return the phone, end his new account with VZW (he left his Evo on Sprint for this phone) and simply purchase the unlocked device from Google and use it on T-Mo.

What's an uber stinker is that my device is a company phone, which I also use as my personal phone, so I can't call VZW to get anything done and have to go through my CFO who's the main account holder. Had I known I was going to have these issues, I wouldn't have requested this device. I'll probably end up going back to T-Mobile if not Sprint considering I'm a heavy data user. (yeah, it was free but it does me no good if I can't use it)

Since I'm not paying for my phone right now, VZW won't lose a customer, but they won't gain one either.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all have.
bassislife
Enthusiast - Level 3

My nexus rebooted within the first 24 hours I had the phone. After that I started experiencing problems with the keyboard. Since I already had a phone with the random reboot feature (my droid x), I took it back and got on the waiting list for the new iPhone. $300 is too much to pay for a phone that doesn't work properly.

christloj

I got the Galaxy Nexus the day it came out as well and am having the same data issue problems. I called Verizon and they did the normal walk through, (reboot, hard reset, battery pull) and nothing changed. My main issue is that when I am on a call, the signal completely goes away, No 4glte or 3g which means I can not surf the net while on the phone. Which is the purpose of having 4gLTE. I was able to take my phone back and get a brand new Galaxy. Still have the same issues. I really think its the network and not the phone. Considering going to...dare I say it...the Iphone.

0 Likes
fadec
Enthusiast - Level 2

They swapped my phone out for a "newer one" It didnt work, I still had terrible call reception with the phone, no issues in the same place with the Droid X.

Im seeing the same issues with the battery, but i was willing to work around that.

leverlock

Did they charge you a restock fee? I returned mine as I described in another topic and was charged the fee even though it was very clear that the phone had these issues.

0 Likes
leverlock

I can tell you that our iPhones 4s have 3 bars of 3G in the same room of the house where the nexus would only show 1 bar of 3G and that was only about 10% of the time. It was usually indicating no signal even though it was probably picking up the 1x but you can't apparently see that on the meter. And no, I'm not an apple fan. They really messed up my older iPhones with their update to iOS5. Wish I could roll the update back. Anyway the overall "signal" on the iPhone for the locations I've had it compared to the GNex is noticeably better.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Did you guys read the article? Bars differciate between manufacturer. Just because you see 3bars on one device doesn't mean it is 3 bars for another device. -db levels is what matters.

For example if I force my Nexus to 3G i see 2 bars with -109 db and my wifes phone shows 3 bars with -112 db. She hits full bars sooner than I do when we are at home though my db levels are lower than hers.

If you have 4G devices you can't compare the bars at all. The older 4G devices show 3G signal stregnth for the bars while the Nexus shows 4G signal unless forced to 3G.

0 Likes