Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
TenaciousMV
Enthusiast - Level 3

budone, the vast majority of people, including yourself I assume, could infer that I was using hyperbole to make a point. Your response isn't terribly helpful. The ability to receive updates nearly immediately was the deciding factor in my purchase, yes. I didn't realize at the time that purchasing on Verizon would result in this not coming to fruition.

readyfireaim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exactly, TenaciousMV.  I bought the GN to have the latest OS, without any of the bloatware/motoblur/Sense stuff.  I bought the phone to be able to use NFC.

You say to us that, "You are working dilligently to provide the best experience."  We don't want the BEST experience.  We want the newest one.

Then, Google skipped you with the Nexus 4.  It left me feeling like a kid with only an Atari 2600, digging through a pile of games at K-Mart, hoping to find the 2600 version of Super Mario Brothers.  You were passed up;  left behind;  forgotten.

You can say you want to provide us the best possible experience.  We're not buying it.  And Google REALLY isn't buying it.  When the #1 OS writes you, your spectrum, and your customer service off for the 2600, it is time to reprioritize.  Maybe ISIS isn't a great idea?  Maybe not providing fanboys a Nexus experience (When thats what they want) is not a good idea?  Maybe watching AT&T's network get faster and more reliable than yours and NOT HAVING the #1 OS maker support your network....

...Well, you get the picture.

Really sad, VZ.

loudstangdriver
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's kind of sad.  Apple pushes updates to iOS and people are able to download them when they want.  Android users are ignored and have to beg for an OTA upgrade.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You could say that is the fault of the manufacturer.

Apple went 3 years selling iPhones WITHOUT making iPhones available to carriers other than AT&T. The other carriers signed on WITH Apple's restrictions because of the popularity of the iPhone.

IF a manufacturer such as Samsung PULLED all of its devices from being available to Verizon UNTIL Verizon was willing to capitulate, you could possibly see the same thing happen with Samsung phones, i.e. updates being pushed when SAMSUNG wanted them pushed. Sadly, this is NOT likely to happen.

0 Likes
Dabogues
Enthusiast - Level 3

After having used only Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus for a while now, I doubt I will ever go back to any device that doesn't run pure Android. Yeah, I'm also addicted to Nova Prime, but the fact of the matter is that it's an overlay that only enhances Android, rather than bastardize it, as so many manufacturers choose to do. If it weren't for my grandfathered unlimited plan, I would've left VZ as soon as the Nexus 4 came out. I hope the company can step up it's game a little and just knock off the iron grip it has on Android. I don't think iPhones have to wait for their updates.

Add me to the list of people who demand 4.3 for my GNex ASAP. And while you're at it, Verizon, get on board with the Nexus 5---and let Google update it for me.

Of course, I guess if we want awesome, uninstallable VZ apps like VZ Backup Assistant and My Verizon Mobile, we will have to wait for a way for the company to shoehorn them into 4.3.

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually you know what would be very nice of Verizon...

If at the very earliest they stopped pushing major updates to the GNex on

December 15th 2013 aka 2 years after it's release, followed by the end of

major release updates pushing of minor updates & security updates that have

been released, such as the newest release which just closed the master key

issue.

Long story short, in my eyes, if they're selling the phones on a 2 year

contract they need to support & have replacements for said device for at

minimum the full term of said contract.

I personally would love to see 4.4.xxx on my phone and would be tickled

pink if 4.5/5.0 came to my phone but am under no expectations of 1st party

support to get them onto my phone.

0 Likes
ChrisGramer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon: I'm not even going to ask you for an ETA or a fixed date. Can you at least confirm that the Galaxy Nexus will definitely get an update to 4.3 or 4.4 at some point in the future, or state definitively that it will not? Heck, could you even confirm whether the Galaxy Nexus will ever receive updates beyond 4.2.2? That's all I ask. Keep the dream alive. Please.

That said, I agree with everyone else here that once my contract is up, I'm jumping ship and going to another carrier that allows Google to update the next Nexus phone. In fact, the only reason I switched to Verizon in the first place was due to the fact that, here in the DC area, Verizon is the only provider with fairly reliable voice calling in the Metro system's tunnels. I was very happy on that other carrier with the stripey blue ball in its logo, apart from coverage in those tunnels, so maybe I'll go back to them. My wife can get the next iPhone from them, too, so there's really nothing holding us here.

Anyway, please respond to my plea above for definite confirmation whether the Galaxy Nexus will or will not get another update. No dates or ETAs necessary. Thanks!

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Oh we'll get it alright... But I can tell you when:  After every other blasted device/ carrier gets it.

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

DoctorDeDroid, not exactly, the Big V beat out the big S on at least 2

patches to the Galaxy Nexus.

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM, DoctorDeDroid

0 Likes
shirke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are we going get Android 4.4 KitKat Update?

0 Likes