Re: Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
ShawnJG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Again, what other thread?

Obviously my sources of information aren't suitable for reference, do you have better resources? I didn't tangent into mentioning the iPhone, nor did I mention any of the other companies that could be holding the process. I did acknowledge that the phone is physically and fundamentally different from the others which have already received the update. I did, also, state that I was paying Verizon and as such would appreciate information from Verizon on Verizon's forums.

Your suggested solutions are either a breach of my contract with Verizon, or effectively withdrawing under the ETF terms and leaving even fewer people to ask for more information. In either case - your solution is for me to just go away, stop asking questions and stop asking for support, correct?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Go search for it in Google Groups where 99% of Nexus related things are best to find.  Even Google bug pages on bugs.  These are controlled and answered by Google themselves and it has been brought up more than a handful of times, and Google own silence, and non compliance of their own licensing is hilarious.  Google can do no evil...  right?  Much like they do what the NSA does at least they tell you in advance right?  Anyway it doesn't matter these threads are more than likely hard to find now as it's 2 years of clutter to sift through.

It's not up to Verizon.  Just because you pay them doesn't mean they owe you that.  Source code isn't up to them, and updates are not up to them.  Manufacturers have to do the updates and pass testing.  I have YET to see any manufacturer go through the process and devices not get updated.  The Galaxy Nexus LTE is the only device on the surface, but Google has abandoned it.  It's not a breach of contract, because it's NOT THEIR CODE, and NOT THEIR HARDWARE.  Just because it has their branding on it doesn't mean it's theirs.  That's one of the largest FUDs going through the internet.

Anyway I wish you luck.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

So why are the Android 4.3 binaries available on AOSP for the toro model?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Sprint version  a lot of the binaries are the same as to why I said they used a modified Sprint HAL/RIL or used a modified Verizon older version of the HAL/RIL.

Smiley Happy

Here's a tidbit of information... the Vodaphone HAL/RIL is the same as the Verizon version.  So think about what something that was previously said about the Vodaphone update(a friend of mine just told me this, he's a RIL guy.  He left Verizon a year ago, but he says the HAL/RIL from all manufacturers for Verizon and Vodaphone devices are all the same except for Samsung due to them using different chipsets.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
tvanriper
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had no problem finding this thread with the following Google search the following search terms:

verizon nexus update

I only did the search because my Nexus tablet, which isn't exactly new, recently got the 4.4.3 update, while my Galaxy Nexus phone from Verizon languishes at 4.2.2.

This hasn't been a stellar experience, honestly.  I'd love for the phone to get updated like any other Google device, regardless of who is at fault, because, bottom line, I prefer to get bug fixes and such for my phone, especially now that hackers like to attack these things, and some bug fixes might include security fixes.  But if neither Google nor Verizon will take ownership for this mess and fix it, I suppose I have to decide whether or not I wish to remain with either Verizon or Google.

As I like the Android OS, I am unlikely to give up on Google.  Google might be responsible in some way for this mess, but its the only viable phone operating system that provides the flexibility that I want in my phone.  I might not like everything they do, but I like neither the iOS nor the Windows OS (whatever they're calling their phone OS... funny I can't recall that, as a Windows developer myself), so I'm sticking with Android.

Which leaves Verizon.  I only switched to Verizon due to superior coverage at the time.  I no longer have the coverage needs I once had, so I don't have that incentive anymore.  I found AT&T to be a reasonably decent carrier, aside from the lack of coverage at the time, so I could consider switching to that, unless Verizon can give me any reason at all to consider remaining with them.  The combination of Verizon's refusal to let Google Wallet on any of the Android devices they sell, and Verizon's inability to update the devices (regardless of fault), gives me a lot of cause to consider another carrier, if I can receive at least enough coverage to handle my needs.

So, I might talk with a representative soon about this.  Seriously, Verizon, this is a pretty serious gaff on your part.  I am being relatively nice in laying out my thoughts openly and honestly, without the vitriol one might expect from a frustrated customer, so perhaps you can consider the issue seriously.

JohnSatchmo

Duplicate post/account, see:

Edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
carseller0822
Contributor - Level 3

I will be shocked if VZW responds in any way to this thread. They washed their hands of anything Nexus related shortly after the launch of the device. I finally switched to the HTC One (M7) because it had a version of Android that I could tolerate. After using it and the M8 for several months I have to say that I really enjoy HTC Sense. No, it's not pure, unadulterated Android. But it's not the confused and jumbled mess that is TouchWhiz (IMO).

SCNY72
Enthusiast - Level 2

4.4 and beyond and we still are stuck on 4.2!!!!  Shameful!

0 Likes