Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like the Galaxy Note Developer's Edition has arrived http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900VMKEVZW

0 Likes
lowenuf
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone know, do they charge on both lines when you terminate or is it a global cost (end date is in Feb '14)? Just seeing if a Nexus 5 will be in my stocking for Christmas.

0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

great question. read the language...i believe it's per line BUT pro rated.  so you wouldn't pay $275 per line now, you'd only pay $275/24 months * # of months left, i believe, for each device under contract.  Someone correct me if I'm mistaken though?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

ETF for a smartphone is $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete.

GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

An update on my exploration:

1. Suspend Verizon service (waiting to receive Straight Talk micro sim card) - received ST micro sim card - suspending service Monday

2. Purchase Straight Talk sim card (done)

3. Purchase Nexus 5 (done)

4. Test Straight Talk (in process) - set-up was pretty easy, although I needed this youtube video to learn the appropriate APN settings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3siQ7QybT78. I think it was my fault for not following instructions properly

5. Decide Nexus 5 & Pre-paid (in process)

6. If not satisfied, try Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Developers Edition or Lumina 929

Thoughts after initial impression:

Nexus 5: I now love the Nexus 5 and cannot stand to even pick up the Galaxy Nexus. The GN seems big, bulky and slow. The Nexus 5 is so light, fast and responsive. The camera is still hit, or miss, but I am testing camera mods to fix that issue. I cannot believe this phone is $350 - 400 of contract. Unbelievable value.

Straight Talk: so far, so go ... I need to educate myself on how to evaluate data speeds. At this point, everything is way better than I was experiencing with the Galaxy Nexus.

The curiosity of the Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Developers Edition or Lumina 929 is fading --- but still there

SaabyeK

VZ Support Rep:

I can understand your concern for having your phones updated with the latest software. We do care about our customers and want you to have the best working phone. We do a lot of testing before a software is released. We are unable to provide any information about new software until we receive it from the manufacture.

---

Assuming they meant manufacturer. Guess what. 4.3 binaries have been on the web for toro since June/July. 4.4 binaries for toro are on the web available from the manufacturer, Google. Does VZ not have access to the internet.

I have been watching this board off and on since late July (I loved the post in August that VZ should start working on 4.4 since they would not have 4.3 ready by release). I purchased toro from VZ believing it was a nexus device. The CEO of VZ has stated that data limits must be in place due to physics. LTE is crashing, and the monthly bill is way too high. Two months left and my contract is over. Getting a Nexus 5 from the Play store and switching carriers. I am tired paying too much for a product that is crippled.

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hear you, thankfully my contract is up 12/16/2013, so if my unlimited

data plan takes an arrow to the knee I'm out as well. I've been with

Verizon for many many years but there's only a few things that may make me

want to stay...

An Asus Padphone Infinity sold through the Google play store with timely

updates

Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play edition with Timely updates

Motorola Flagship high end phone Google play edition with timely updates --

see the pattern VZW?

Yes I'm the type that wants the ability to chose a phone without skinning,

and I want timely updates to help ensure the security & stability of my

phone. Seeing as the Galaxy Nexus has the root key bug on it which has

been out for a very long time with the fix out for many months that's

pretty unacceptable.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TenaciousMV, thanks for sharing your recent customer service experience with us. It allows us hear your voice and recommendations on how we can be better for you. We apologize for any confusion this matter may have caused you. When canceling service during your contract, you will be billed an Early Termination fee as stated in your customer agreement. http://vz.to/1hw817  Additionally, service is billed till the end of the bill cycle to preven partial charges and prorated wireless allowance. However, if you reactivate your line back on our network for the remainder of your contract, we can reverse this Early Termination fee. Please contact our Telesales department at 800-256-4646 for assistance with reactivating your service. We look forward to hearing from you and hope to continue to provide your wireless service.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
TenaciousMV
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is why you guys have problems. Yes, I'm aware of that now.

The issue is that someone on your  team told me otherwise, so I moved early. All of the geniuses you have in middle management gave the same answer you did, overlooking the fact that someone told me incorrect information that drove my decision.

After four hours and much trouble, someone with a brain called me from the executive offices and took care of everything within about three minutes.

Thanks for the copy and paste response though. Keep up the thoughtful work. Sigh.

0 Likes
bumblebeetuna
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Moto X is likely to be the first Verizon handset with 4.4. I too think this is too good to be true but the soak tests don't lie. Galaxy Nexus won't receive 4.4 officially but it is absurd that a skinned phone is receiving an update quicker than a purported Nexus device

0 Likes