Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
TimTheK
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have every right to be angry at Verizon for lying to us and for handicapping our devices. And THEY put the forum here for customers to enable discussions. They open themselves up to people like you who love them and post positive comments, and they also open themselves up to receiving negative comments. Verizon isn't "pretty cool", they just put up this forum and let people post but don't actually respect their customers enough to provide actual answers or pay any attention to what's being written.

A billion Nexus 5's sold in the world aren't going to being them back to Verizon because A) Verizon screwed up the Galaxy Nexus and I don't think Google wants to deal with their nonsense anymore,

and

B) Verizon doesn't want a device that they don't control....and thus can ruin.

Once VoLTE is standard, Verizon won't be able to control what devices come on their network. That first Nexus phone with radios supporting all the US LTE bands will be magical.

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm no apologist, I'm just looking to steer the convo toward something productive...I need advice, yo. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

bet you *anything* they find a way to lock down their specific network of VoLTE...!  I'm calling it now! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
TimTheK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Legally they can't. Part of their deal with the FCC for their LTE bands was that they have to allow any compatible devices on their network. They don't have to sell them, but they can't stop you from using them (just like the Nexus 7. If you have a SIM card it will work). The only reason they can control the updates to the Galaxy Nexus is because the CDMA network requires some sort of 'authorization' where a GSM network can just get updates directly from Google.

(also, I wasn't calling you the corporate apologist, rather eturk001 for his kissing up to VZW.)

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If they actually use the 700 MHz frequency for VoLTE, they can't lock that down because of the FCC rules. Those rules don't apply to the other frequencies they use.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

mbe3204m, funny that I just went out for a quick run. I listened to an audiobook for 30 minutes of the 40 I was out. I'm down just 8%. They really have done an amazing job with KitKat and battery sipping. Also, there's a new setting to conserve battery by using cell towers.

The original GNex for Vzw had a separate LTE chip. That's the reason their model is fatter, doesn't have the pog docs, etc. AND, horrible battery life if LTE is on. Old technology that had me carry a spare battery. The SoC & sof!ware make a huge different.

Do read up on the recent battery tests. It won't last like a G2, but Google's is apparently subsidizing the cost by $100 the Play version is an amazing deal.

BTW, the streaming termination seems to only be for Straight Talk (not Vzw). Search for streaming in their TOS. uploading, downloading or streaming of uninterrupted continuous video. Maybe that mean's a movie? But some have reported long streaming of any kind can be trouble. (Hope they weren't actually downloading movies and saying it was just music. But ya just can't tell on the web.)

: http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/terms%20and%20conditions/!ut/p/b1/hc_dboJAEAXgJ5KZ3QUWLvlRFgS...

0 Likes
GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, a week with the nexus 5 .... I am still waiting on my sim card from straight talk ... so I have been using Google Hangouts for video calls on wifi ... the phone is a good to very good phone at a great price ... but I would not leave Verizon for the nexus 5 ... maybe leave Verizon for the nexus 5, not being on contract and a $50 to $60 drop in you phone bill - if you think the call quality and speeds are decent. I will know more in about two weeks after I test service with Straight Talk.

I like the nexus 5 very much but it has not close the door of my curious regarding the Verizon Lumina 929 or Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition - if those two phones come out soon

0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

so what will you do with the nexus5 if you don't leave verizon...?  just curious.  wish i had the budget to test these phones out Smiley Happy

0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks eTurk! are you saying if i change the settings to shut off LTE when i go for a run or ride I may save significant battery life?  just curious.  still, even if the newer phones have slightly better life, isn't it asking a lot to run a nike+ app with GPS on constantly for upwards of 2 hours or more?  with a 3800mah battery it makes it easy; I know I won't run out of juice on a full charge.  haven't really tried toggling the radio settings though.

0 Likes
GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

Usually sell, or give to friends .. I will keep the Nexus 5 because if you do you own updating, it is like a toy as well as a phone ... I have upgraded the camera app (stock was a disappointment ... though an update .... straight from Google is expect soon.

I really think the Galaxy Note 3 would be the best phone for what I do but I simply do not like all the additional apps Samsung and Verizon place on the phone ....

0 Likes