Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last I read, Google themselves are not updating the Galaxy Nexus to 4.4 because of graphic support issues. The guess is that it's the Texas Instruments chip, TI being defunct now, it will never work properly. It's like the Droid 3 ROMs over 2.3 that never really worked because the camera driver just wouldn't get updated.

One advantage of Apple I guess is that they're so closed, providers never have to worry about all this software support. Hardware supplier variety means dead ends often.

0 Likes
djortiz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually TI had an updated driver set ready to go and it didn't make it in

time for Google's last update of 4.3.

Google didn't feel like merging it after the fact, but several developers

are looking at it now.

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

I read that as well, but that was several days before I saw reports of people finding the TI Binaries for the graphics so we "May" *crosses fingers* see an official stock rom of 4.4.x.  It is however true that TI got out of the mobile industry if Droid-Life is accurate.

As for Apple you're just a bit off, Apple still uses manufacturers for parts but appear to be better at forcing contracts for support levels / time frames.

0 Likes
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

Here's my response to lmgtfy's question # 2 - I'm shiny as well, but I still have some signal problems and certainly handoff issues, even with FK01 & FK02 baseband versions.  It's my understanding that we must get new signed radios from  Verizon because of their proprietary network.  So that's why I'm highly irritated that they won't update. 

I don't really care about the android version since I've done what you've done, but I would certainly appreciate better signal quality, strength and handoff.

0 Likes
GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

An update on my exploration:

1. Suspend Verizon service (waiting to receive Straight Talk micro sim card) - status pending

2. Purchase tmobile sim card (done) - mistake, bought sim card before I really checked coverage - Tmobile horrible in my area. I was just so upset with Verizon, I bought the "free" tmobile simcard

3. Purchase Nexus 5 (done) - shipping date is November 8  Nexus % arrived today!

4. Test AT&T pre-paid (I hear AiO throttle badly) - order a Straight Talk micro sim card

5. Decide Nexus 5 & Pre-paid or

6. Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Developers Edition

As soon as I receive the phone around November 12th, it is off to the AT&T to obtain the sim card and test the service in my area  ... Purchase Straight Talk micro sim card, should arrive Saturday, or Monday.

IMG_20131106_144819.JPG

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi weapon-x,

I'm sorry to see that you have cancelled your wifes line, we certainly don't want our valued customers moving away from our wireless family. 10 years is a long time and we'd love to serve your wireless needs for years to come. I'd like to address any issues that are prompting you to leave us, please follow me and send me a direct message including your wireless number and account verification (same you verify when you call us) if you want me to reach out to you and explore options for you to stay with us.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
bumblebeetuna
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Nexus 7 LTE is activated on all networks except Verizon's. They claim there are 'unresolved' system issues and must go through another 4-6 week 'certification' process. Oh and by the way they released a statement blaming Google. Guys, unless Verizon is literally the only carrier in your area with coverage, which is only true for a small minority, I have to implore you to think long and hard about Verizon's track record with Android. They stymy their customers with their actions and charge you at premium while doing so.

Vodafone was right to sell Verizon when it did.

lowenuf
Enthusiast - Level 3

AntonioC,

Read the 300+ post before this to understand what the issues are.  I have posted them as well as nearly every other person on here.  Stop trolling and claiming you value your customers! Nexus owners may be a small group but we know how ours phones work.  My wife and I have been being using (being used by) your service for over 10 years. That will be changing soon.

0 Likes
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Researching prepaid to really understand, I realize one could save as much as $1000/yr owning their own phone. I'm at $125/month, and that's $10 less than if I was a new customer. When one is a good money manager, they can pay StraightTalk $500 up front for a year an also get unlimited + 2gb. That's $1000/yr.

I appreciate why Vzw wants only what they sell, and completely locked phones. Up to $1000/yr/customer make Wall Street very happy, and also creates money to keep building a the strongest network. Unfortunately, it's not work paying over double every month anymore.

If Vzw allows unlocked Nexus on their network, supporting prepaid for people that want to pay up front, not subsidize, then I'll be back because the network is so strong.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

I think VZW has had it's day... like the dinosaur that it is.  ATT is starting to eat into them even though their service is just as abominable.  At least you can get a REAL NEXUS and use it on their system... so none of these ridiculous shenanigans, bait and switch ploys (as in: riddle me this, batman... when is a nexus phone NOT a nexus phone...bwa ha ha ha ha).  I think people have had enough... with every report on how all over the world people get two to four times the speed/coverage at half the price or in some cases, even less!!!

VZW: You CAN'T treat an open platform like a closed proprietary system forever.  It's not sustainable... people will find a way...

0 Likes