Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
lmgtfy

I've been watching this post for about a month now. I check back in every couple of days to see what is the current temp of the verizon community of nexus users. I have two general question: one for Verizon and two for the community.

1. Verizon:

Many people here are complaining about your service and lack of concern for the customer base. Additionally, many users are complaining regarding the      frequency of updates and vague answers with no direction. What steps are being taken to persuade customers that they matter, their concerns matter, and      that Verizon is listening?

2. User Community:

a. If Gnex users are expecting the newest and vanilla-est experience, why aren't there more people saying that they are upgrading to 4.4 themselves? (not      to discuss a taboo subject, but we can place whatever ROM on our phone we wish). I get it, we shouldn't have to do that as this is the whole point of the      nexus device... but we can.

b. For those users who have the 4.4 version, how is the experience? we've only heard from one person(?), i think

0 Likes
lmgtfy

This was helpful. Thank you!

0 Likes
djb6

Problem with this discussion you want to have is although this is an online forum, it is not going to be something that Verizon allows.

To your point before things get removed, I've been using a very shiny version of android 4.4 on my gnex for a few days now.  Works okay, lots of graphical issues that are trying to be worked out.  Phone is much faster than ever before, but it does tend to reboot from time to time.  I would suggest checking it out online.

I before this used a shiny version of android 4.3.1 and that was awesome!  It made the phone feel brand new, which I am sure is the reason VZW is trying to not update to it.  A new feeling phone means less people upgrading to a new phone.  To be honest though, if VZW does not get a nexus phone, I have no interest in the company.  The promise is that I've read Google and VZW are working on some projects to be introduced in 2014.  Those might have to do with the VoLTE that is supposed to be put into action this upcoming year.

0 Likes
GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

To answer 2a, updating yourself can sometimes be time consuming ... unless you are really into that sort of thing and have the aptitude for it .... it can be pain. I will probably go that route if a) I do not like the Nexus5 experience on a prepaid service and b) a verizon galaxy note 3 developer edition is not released ...

There is an outside chance that if a) and b) happen, I also drift to the Lumina 929 which is soon due on Verizonhttp://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5064650/nokia-lumia-929-pictures-specifications-verizon

Should be a nice phone, if you like are okay with Windows. I, however, have a lot invested in Android, so I would go the self update route

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@bumblebeetuna

I'd love for you to stay with us as well!  I see you are interested in upgrading to a new device, but are concerned with losing your unlimited data plan and renewing your contract.  Keep in mind, upgrading at the 2 year promotional pricing requires selecting one of our current tiered data plans.  Did you know that over 90% of our current smartphone customers average under 2 GB's of data usage monthly?  How much do you currently average?  Take a moment to run an Account Analysis here: http://bit.ly/17qD2sj.

You can also purchase new equipment at retail cost and retain your unlimited data plan.  Some customers take advantage of our Device Payment Program http://vz.to/ZILXBT to break up the cost into 12 smaller monthly payments.  How does that sound?

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
djortiz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ninety percent stay under 2GB because that's ask they can afford to be

capped at. The least you could do is not lie to your customers.

On Nov 5, 2013 4:20 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow ... why bother to respond, if that is your response .... Ouch!

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Imgtfy the latest Shiny jellybean 4.3.1 seems a bit laggy comparatively to stock 4.2.2, I haven't tried KitKat but have seen reports that driver binaries have been found for toro/mysid for 4.4 so it's possible that Verizon may step up to the plate & build 1 last stock rom.

As for KitKat on the Galaxy Nexus currently the only issue I've seen people complaining about is graphical issues/crashes caused by not having the proper driver "prior to the driver being found"  I'm holding out on seeing if the TI drivers that were located help out.

With your lowest data package costing the same as the grandfathered unlimited package VZW will have to do something phenomenal to coax people off it while staying with you & not going to a competitor.  Also a big thing that could be introduced is a data bucket, what's sold plan wise via full 4g speeds & everything else limited to low 4g or 3g speeds.  I don't do it much anymore but taking my phone with me while working away from the office/home, using streaming services and whatnot very very very easily chews through the bandwidth... I have actually seen 7-13GB monthly usage even without netflix on my phone when I was using it a lot.

If you get in a Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition next year, I may be tempted to buy that phone if the rumors are to be semi trusted.

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

Answering #2:  Why don't I do the upgrade myself?  Because I bought a friggin' Nexus device so I wouldn't have to screw around with it and risk breaking something or getting my phone locked/bricked.

If I was in the 15-20 year old range, I might have considered it worth saving a bit of money and buying a cheap phone (rooting comments removed).  But I'm no longer a kid just scraping by.  I can afford to buy what I want.  I paid a premium for this phone because it was supposed to have a clean OS and get the latest OS updates as soon as they're available.  That's the definition of a Nexus device.

Apparently Verizon didn't get the memo.  My phone and Nexus tablet were only on the same version for a few months.  Now my tablet's about to be TWO versions ahead of the phone.

(removed) Verizon!

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

JTown, the Moto X is "Mostly" stock but it's a mid range device & not a top tier device.

I'm right with you wanting the clean stock roms minus skinning and "Value Add" bloatware.  Which really really makes me wish Google would stop with the Nexus line & take up the stance of every flagship needs to have 2 options.

Flagship option one, carrier & oem branding/skinning/etc

Flagship option two, Google play edition

Now here's the clincher, they need to release a program with the phone allowing you to switch between the two options allowing you the choice without having to buy 2 different phones.  I believe Motorola did this a while back for one of their early droids where you launched the Motorola updater which flashed the rom on the phone with the updated Stock rom... a step in the right direction but not there yet...

0 Likes