Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
djortiz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Already have 4.4 on the nexus, with no support from Verizon. It's already a

great experience. This is pretty sad.

bumblebeetuna
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you let me upgrade to a phone with 4.3 at subsidized prices without signing a contract or losing unlimited data... I would love to stay with Team Verizon!

readyfireaim
Enthusiast - Level 3

djortiz,  Mind filling me in on this?

Nevermind.  To quote the TV show Firefly, everything is SHINY.

clawer87
Enthusiast - Level 1

TonyG,

Thanks for your response.  I am not eligible for an upgrade, in fact I've still got a little over a year to wait.  I do use wifi all the time.  This month I used about 4.5 GB on wifi and close to my 2 GB limit on mobile data since I stopped using it in the last number of days of the month.

I guess I'm having a hard time justifying the value of the plan.  Yes the coverage is good, but the plan that I'm on (450 mins, 1000 texts, 2 GB data) costs more than unlimited plans from competitors.  If I could be helped with the price or data allotment, I think I would be somewhat happier. 

This, of course, does nothing to satisfy my issues with the phone support.  I guess if I heard confirmation that 4.3 will someday hit the galaxy nexus that would make me a little happier too.  I just really don't want to bother with changing out the rom, and that's the main reason I got a nexus phone in the first place.  Stability and updates.  Changing the rom likely compromises the stability of the system.

In all, some competitors have shown a lot of benefits that Verizon still lacks (unlimited plans, unlocked phones, cheaper international support), and it's getting harder for me to justify the value.

Thanks for listening.

mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

I feel the same way many do that have posted here about this, but thank *you*, clawer, for posting something worthwhile to read.  Annoying, troll-like complaints just aren't going to be paid much attention by Verizon, but a message like this will be.  Like many others on this thread, I feel torn between keeping Verizon's network and going elsewhere for more flexibility (no contract, a Nexus 5 phone, that'd be real nice).  Verizon knows about this but let's face it, we are a minority; most people prefer the Moto X or other types of phones and don't really care if they get updates because they will toss the phone as soon as 20 months goes by and they are able to upgrade again.  That's the reality.  So live with it and make your move to another carrier when you can, or not.

0 Likes
weapon-x
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just canceled my wife's line.  I'll be canceling mine once I have a new phone. Verizon, I hope you enjoyed  having me  as a  customer for the last 10 years. You'll never have me or my family as one again.

0 Likes
droid4lif3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Congrats weapon-x I'm hoping to cancel my line in the following weeks.

Verizon is going down!

0 Likes
GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Nexus 5 arrives Wednesday EOD ... Thursday, I am at the AT&T store to inquiry about pre-paid ... a good article on Droid Life about pre-paid services http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/04/best-prepaid-wireless-plans/

0 Likes
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks so much for the link about prepaid. I'll be dropping Verizon in December after 8 years.

Verizon will probably never allow unlocked phones on their network, unless the FCC (never) forces openness. (But the leaders at FCC are old industry employees placed there to support the corps., so change won't happen.)

Vzw: at $60 for 2gb data + $40 "line charge" to actually use a phone with it = $100 + all the taxes = $125/month. $25 just in taxes. On prepaid there are no taxes (FCC loses out) and no "line charges" (Vzw loses), so it's just $60. That's more than double with money to the Vzw shareholders and government. It's HALF on prepaid! I see why Vzw CEO & shareholders don't want unlocked phones near them? (over 8 years, that's $6240 more, btw.)

But the free market exists (a little bit). We consumers can openly discuss choice, service, etc. here and corporations can decide based on our feedback. Thank you Vzw for encouraging our open discussion of the market on this forum! We're not in China, yet. So, I'll give another provider a try. Test if the service and coverage is worth double the cost. it may be and that's why Vzw has the money to build out a strong 4g net.

GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great comment ... and reasonable course of action ... exactly where I am ... see if the grass is greener on the other side, and whether Verizon's network is worth the cost and lockdown.

0 Likes