Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
readyfireaim
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think Google is going about this wrong;  Instead of "punishing" VZ by not making a compatible LTE version of the phone with their flagship OS, they should just block ALL Android OSs from operating on VZ.  As soon as a day went by w/o Google Wallet on day 1, or 4.3 in 2 or 3 days, they should've just blocked ALL android OSs from working on VZ.

Android is 81% of the smartphone OS market.  Apple has their crap together when it comes to updates.  If VZ was left with only Apple (For the grandparents), and Windows OS (For the 4 people worldwide that bought it, 3 of which did so accidentally), Google could make VZ actually keep their devices updated.

Heck, just tell VZ, no new Android smartphones until you provide timely updates for Nexus devices.

VZ, your phone lineup reminds me of the 2003 Boost Mobile, phone-in-a-blister-pack-and-sold-at-Walgreens-for $29.99.  Google has passed you up TWICE with their flagship phone.  You have become obsolete. Period.

0 Likes
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google DOES now have Verizon compatible LTE in the Nexus 7. Single chips for all bands are becoming standard.

BUT, it's blocked by Verizon! It's all Verizon. New devices are coming out now with chips that do all global networks. No more need for a different phone for each company anymore.It's just Verizon forcing customers to buy the product through them and force it to be obsolete in two years. All about profits for Wall Street now. Time to switch companies.

0 Likes

I also plan to drop my service with Verizon due to the poor update cycles for the GNex.  All the updates so far have taken much longer than any other carriers.  4.3 being delayed this long is BS.  It's represents a total lack of ability displayed at all levels of the company. I cannot support a company that just doesn't give a crap about their client's needs.

Re:  these inane comments by the CSRs.   We are 30 pages deep now- and you are asking what the issue is?  You want to continue our relationship?  Jesus, you sound like a pathetic loser after his girlfriend finally wised up and dumped him.  Just stop before my eyes begin to bleed from me trying to dig them out of my skull.

0 Likes
vonelliott
Enthusiast - Level 3

They have to be automated. I can't fathom these canned responses being

anything but robotic attempts at pacification.

On Nov 1, 2013 2:34 PM, "12345678987654321" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
clawer87
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I've been a Verizon customer a while now (I got the original droid when it came out.  Good phone in my opinion.)  And to be clear I love the service.  Good coverage, relatively fast data rates, very few dead spots.  If you want an iphone, I think this is one of your better options.  A little highly priced, but you get good service.  I am disappointed when Verizon cancelled my unlimited data when I upgraded to the galaxy nexus, and I'm constantly coming close to my data limit.  I would upgrade it, but it costs money.

Now the complaints begin.  My last phone was the HTC Thunderbolt which I got right when it came out.  I saved an upgrade for it and bought into the LTE hype.  LTE on it was great, when it worked.  I went through a number of LTE outages back in the day which was a bit inconvenient.  Then, the phone's software had a really hard time holding onto a signal.  I'd be dumped down to 3G or 2G all the time, even when not moving.  Plus updates were pretty much unheard of.  And the battery life was just awful.  I heard a rumor saying that HTC abandoned the Thunderbolt when it started having problems, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.  That was certainly the buggiest phone I've ever had.  Automatic restarts were a nearly daily experience.  Every update took a long time to be released, and I found myself hoping each update would solve problems.  Usually it just swapped the problems for other problems.

So, learning from my mistake with the Thunderbolt, I decided to get a nexus device, expecting fast updates.  I also dumped HTC since the sense UI crashed on me pretty frequently, causing me not to trust proprietary software on phones.  I passed on the Galaxy S IV in order to get a vanilla android experience and fast updates.  I am somewhat regretting that decision, because it seems that the S IV is a higher priority as it has already received android 4.3, while we're still waiting for it.  Don't get me wrong, I like the galaxy nexus, I'm just disappointed that the updates aren't coming, and have been soured from slow updates since the time of the thunderbolt.  In the long run maybe it doesn't matter too much since 4.4 is never coming to the gnex anyway.

So, since I've been continuously disappointed in Verizon's phone support, I have begun investigating other services.  I picked up a cheap unlocked 3G GSM phone, and a T-mobile sim card to test it out.  With potentially the chance to get a nexus 5, which looks awesome.

So, in a nutshell my concerns in a phone are:

1.  Find a phone that I want (upper end) that will be supported in the future

2.  Get more data for a reasonable price (I really want at least 4GB)

3.  Maintain a reliable LTE connection when in a good coverage area

I've found T-mobile will lower my overall price and give me unlimited data back, and I can bring an unlocked phone.  I'm worried about the coverage, so I may try out AT&T since I'm expecting theirs to be a little better.  At this point, I see very few reasons to stick with Verizon minus the $250 early termination charge left on my account.  So, I'd really like to be convinced otherwise.

0 Likes
djortiz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh you're disappointed? Perhaps you would like to try one of our new

premium phones!

GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

My leaving journey so far,

1. Suspend Verizon service (waiting to receive Nexus 5) - status pending

2. Purchase tmobile sim card (done) - mistake, bought sim card before I really checked coverage - Tmobile horrible in my area. I was just so upset with Verizon, I bought the "free" tmobile simcard

3. Purchase Nexus 5 (done) - shipping date is November 8

4. Test AT&T pre-paid (I hear AiO throttle badly)

5. Decide Nexus 5 & Pre-paid or

6. Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Developers Edition

As soon as I receive the phone around November 12th, it is off to the AT&T to obtain the sim card and test the service in my area.

0 Likes
bumblebeetuna
Enthusiast - Level 2

Based on my research I've read that StraightTalk has very suspicious throttling terms. I also read that AIO is very good about their terms. If you pay for 2GB a month, you will receive 2GB of unthrottled data. You have the option to purchase more data if you exceed your monthly allowance. You are paying $55 for 2GB of data so it's not exactly a pittance, but I don't suppose you expected to get good data service at the rates T-Mobile and other low end carriers charge

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

clawer87,

I am sorry to hear that you have not had the best experience with us as of lately. We certainly don't want to see you go. We understand that having a consistent serviceable device is important and we want to make sure you get that. Are you currently eligible for an upgrade? You can check with #UPG. Our service is second to none with 4g LTE. Do you use wi-fi a lot? That can definitely supplement higher data usage. Please let us know what we can do to help because we want you to stay with Team VZW.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lowenuf
Enthusiast - Level 3

You want to keep your nexus owners, upgrade the phone!

On Nov 3, 2013 4:41 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes