Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
Dabogues
Enthusiast - Level 3

As a VZ Galaxy Nexus user with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, I agree 100%. Although, my fear is that they WANT to get rid of us. Considering the texts/calls I've received trying to convince me to "upgrade" (and lose my unlimited data), I have a feeling they may rather cut us loose for more profitable customers. Thank goodness for used phones (how I got my Nexus to begin with, thankyouverymuch).

Anyway, if they know that bringing the N5 to VZ will likely just mean that they will lose a bunch of grandfathered unlimited data customers who buy the phone outright (or used a few months later), then they may not have any good reason to allow it on the network. After all, the vast majority of their Android users are perfectly fine with the Samsung/HTC/Motorola versions of the OS.

readyfireaim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very good observation Dabogues.  The unlimited under VZ is truly unlimited due to the fact they purchased the spectrum from the US Govt.  USG stated that, "If you buy it, you cannot restrict how your customers use it." VZ agreed, and continued charging for tethering.  An FCC ruling forced them to not be able to block tethering, or to charge for "an additional two whole GB to tether with!"

I think that is also the reason they stopped blocking google wallet.  (That or they figured out FX would've sued them for using 'ISIS' as their name for their GW copy...)

Another reason they may be stonewalling is, they don't want a 2 year old phone to have a better OS than their current flagship phones. They are pushing the HTC one, moto x, and their line of droid branded phones pretty hard.  They don't want an non-available phone to have a more current OS.

Once again, VERIZON.  GIVE ME MY NEXUS EXPERIENCE.   RELEASE 4.3 NOW.

Dabogues
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is really interesting---I did not realize that about the tethering. Sort of explains some things about FoxFi Pro and why it works so well with the GNex.

I also have sort of been worried that eventually VZ would be able to "ungrandfather" us. If what you say is true, though, it sounds like that can't happen (at least for as long as the agreement lasts). That may change how I approach things in the future. Appreciate the knowledge dropping.

0 Likes
TimTheK
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is not entirely true. The government only ruled that people on TIERED (2gb, 4Gb, etc) LTE data plans cannot be prevented from tethering or sharing the data. However, that does NOT apply to anyone on a grandfathered unlimited plan. Verizon may continue to restrict you from tethering or sharing your data on an unlimited plan. Or at least they can charge you for tethering.

“Under the terms of today’s settlement, Verizon Wireless will make a voluntary payment to the Treasury in the amount of $1.25 million, and has committed to notifying the application store operator that it no longer objects to the availability of the tethering applications to C-Block network customers” and that Verizon “revised its service offerings such that consumers on usage-based pricing plans may tether, using any application, without paying an additional fee.

For those of us who are still on unlimited plans, VZW will no doubt be looking for ways to push us off to tiered plans. And you may be right about them hoping some of us leave and abandon our unlimited plans.

Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Dabogues sadly I can see that happening soon as the carrier that starts

with T- already started removing the plans, but as a consolation to losing

unlimited data everyone now gets unlimited Talk/SMS/MMS on their network.

If Verizon throws me off of the Grandfathered plan I'm on now I'll jump

ship to a new vendor, permanent or not is to be seen on how VoLTE rolls out

& is handled with phones afterwards.

0 Likes
Dabogues
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for doing my homework for me, TimTheK! That makes more sense. I thought there was something in there about tethering that I read a long time ago. It's a non-issue for me, anyway, at this point, since I don't have any real use for tethering.

I do wonder if there are any guidelines in terms of how long the grandfathered plans must/will last, though, or if at this point it's all by VZ's good graces. The comparatively small number of us left (I can't believe the number of people I know who gave it up just for a new phone and look at me with envy when I told them I just bought a used phone and kept it) can't really hurt the bottom line that much.

Anecdotally speaking, the most recent call I got from VZ asking me if I wanted to upgrade had them "analyze" my usage to see if I was in the most economical plan. When he got to data usage (last), and he came up with 13GB last month, even the rep had to be like "Yeah...you're on the best plan right now." I don't tether (I stopped doing that which shall not be mentioned to my phone a long time ago for corporate email purposes)---they can blame Google Music All Access, mostly. Maybe they can block that, too.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

weapon-x, we want to see you stay with us. Have you seen our device line up lately? http://bit.ly/zpAY1E I'm sure that we offer a device that will fit your needs. Let's work this out.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
TimTheK
Enthusiast - Level 3

More like:

"Hey, weapon-x, have you seen the other devices we offer that we also won't support with timely updates even if we promise that we will? We also promise to load them up with totally worthless apps that will run in the background and can't be removed! Check us out!"

rcschnoor
Legend

I think weapon-x HAS a device which fits their needs if ONLY Verizon would release the update to the phone.

Furthermore, if Verizon does not release updates to phones which people feel are important in order to continue service with Verizon, WHY would they possibly check out Verizon's current line up knowing full well Verizon will most likely NOT be updating THOSE phones in a manner they consider timely and NOT months after every other provider has released a similar update?

weapon-x
Enthusiast - Level 2

basically covered it.  After the way the Galaxy Nexus was handled, why would I EVER want another phone with Verizon?  Last night I went ahead and made some changes to my phone on my own, so now it's "shiny" and new again.  Like I said, when the Nexus 5 is out, I'm taking my accounts elsewhere.

Thanks for nothing.

Sincerely,

Your soon to be former customer, forever.