Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

You should just go to ATT now...  VZW will never get another nexus device... You could  argue that they never had one in the first place.

jvm1024
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will probably switch back to ATT after my contract ends in December.  The experience of the GNex on VZW has been terrible.  The delays in the updates are awful and the lack of communication around them is despicable.  VZW's "thorough testing" is just nonsense because guess what?  Since the phone was released in December 2011 I've not been able to send a MMS with wifi turned on... ever.  Yep, every time the message just hangs... and the only option is to turn off wifi and resend, and then it works just fine.  How did they not manage to catch that in their "thorough testing" and not fix a bug that's been open for nearly two years now!?

I'm just hopeful the Nexus 5 runs on ATT LTE and I will happily jump ship.  Heck at this point I'd consider TMo too just to get away from VZW's horribly broken update process.

TenaciousMV
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here. MMS will NOT SEND on Wifi. It hangs and hangs until I switch wifi off. At that point it may send, but usually I need to delete and resend over 3G/4G. Such crap. I'm going to AT&T as well. 12/15/13 and I'm out of here.

Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

Alrighty, for those running into the texting issues with wifi on, are both

of you running 4.2.2, or if you're running custom ROMs have you updated the

radios to those found in the VZW 4.2.2 stock ROM. Also have you tried

factory defaulting & re-updating your phone to the latest then try sending

prior to importing your backups?

0 Likes
TenaciousMV
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm running stock ROM. I've always had this problem. I'm currently running 4.2.2.

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

Odd, what area are you in? I'm up in the Michigan area & haven't run into

that issue while connected to Access points / Routers running everything

from WEP to WPA2 Personal

One thing you could try "backup your phone prior to this" is re-loading the

stock 4.2.2 image which reflashes all radios in your phone. Sorry I don't

have the directions on how to do it off hand but you can get the stock

4.2.2 image from the following URL.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#mysid

VZW Mod please don't delete that, not telling them how to root, just

re-loading the stock VZW approved Rom.

0 Likes
TenaciousMV
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info. I may try that over the weekend. I appreciate it. I'm in Rochester, NY. Regardless of where I am in the country and the wifi network I'm connected to, this has never worked.

Then again, I only have to deal with this issue for another three months until I move to ACTUAL GOOGLE SOFTWARE WITHOUT VERIZON GARBAGE LAID ALL OVER IT. *deep breath*

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ooh one thing I have to warn you on, some game data does not properly

backup, if you have any games with MicroTransactions in it that you've

purchased game currency for, you'll want to check with them to see how they

suggest you do a backup & restore so you don't lose your progress/purchases.

0 Likes
jvm1024
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also on stock 4.2.2.  I've lived in northern and central VA and had the issue in both locations.  I have wiped the phone a couple of times since I've had it, although I haven't specifically tried sending a MMS without restoring from Google's cloud backup first.  I appreciate the input although don't really feel like wiping my phone again... I think I'll just suffer through for the next three months.

TenaciousMV: weird coincidences - I have the same "release date" from VZW and I was born in Rochester!  Small world.

0 Likes
TenaciousMV
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ha, small world indeed.

12/15/13 shall be a glorious day for a couple of current and past Rochesterians.

0 Likes