Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Oh please!!!

ATT and T-Mobile are in bed with VZW ... Its a friggin' consortium between them!! 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis_(mobile_payment_system)

Google wallet being on the ropes has more to do with stonewalling by these three dirtball companies than anything else...  And you can't even get ISIS!

readyfireaim
Enthusiast - Level 3

And I hope FX sues the crap out of VZ for the name ISIS...

http://archer.wikia.com/wiki/ISIS

0 Likes
readyfireaim
Enthusiast - Level 3

And, just a heads-up:

VZ has not responded since September 3rd, about 3 pages back.  Their minds are either blown, or the cold facts have shut them down.

0 Likes
wchatam
Enthusiast - Level 2

All of the information about the upcoming Nexus 5 indicates that it will not be supported on Verizon either. The data from the FCC filing shows that it supports all of the North American LTE bands except Verizon's.

Well, I can't take it any longer. Even though I still have 3 months left on my Verizon contract, I went ahead and signed up for Aio Wireless. I bought a Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store, and Aio shipped me a SIM card. For the next 3 months, I'll have both phones and will be able to compare coverage at home, work, and other places. I've had the Nexus 4 a week, and I've been pleased with the coverage so far. AT&T's HSPA+ network coverage is really good, and the speeds have been plenty fast for me to stream Google Play Music and YouTube.

I know the Nexus 5 will be out in a month, and I'll order one as soon as they're available. I'll give the Nexus 4 to my wife since she isn't as obsessed with phones as I am. Once I'm done with Verizon, I'll save enough money to buy a new phone at full price every year. The 2GB plan from Aio Wireless is $55/month (includes taxes and fees). The 2GB plan from Verizon is about $105/month ($100 plus taxes and fees). I'll be saving about $50 each month by switching carriers. I can seriously spend $600 each year on a new phone and still spend less money than with Verizon.

The greatest part is that Aio doesn't control the updates to my phone. They don't even know what phone I'm using. They just asked what size SIM card I needed and mailed it to me. Whenever I feel like upgrading, I just buy the new phone and swap SIM cards. There's no $35 upgrade fee like at Verizon.

I waited in line on the day the Galaxy Nexus was available from Verizon, and that's the day I'll be returning to Verizon 2 years later to tell them goodbye. It's obvious that Verizon has no desire to keep the Nexus owners as customers, and I encourage anyone else reading this forum to switch carriers as soon as possible.

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

You know... I completely forgot about that... now Qualcomm may actually be the cause for the delay -- Wild guess but follow me on it.

Google releases a new kernel for it's newest OS & Alerts OEMs to build new drivers for the new kernel which then gets integrated & sent over to Samsung for testing which Samsung sends the update to all vendors using CDMA technology in their phones which goes back & forth between the vendors all the way up to google who then has to communicate with Qualcomm for fixes to any issues.  This would explain why CDMA providers are always lagging behind their GSM counterparts on nearly identical phones.

This hopefully should clear up when VoLTE becomes a standard after CDMA is fully abandoned down the road "long ways down the road most likely"

@Verizon can you confirm/deny the above -- Just looking for a ray of hope here.

Yes I'm looking forward to 4.3, from what I'm seeing/hearing the memory management on it is amazing compared to 4.0.x/4.1.x/4.2.x

Now the fun ? here.  I had Google wallet on my phone & properly configured, once you guys pushed an update blocking the software to nuke Google Wallet it nuked the secure element of my NFC, am I boned or will you guys be able to work with me on replacing my phone?

0 Likes
Igor_K
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks like no more NEXUS devices for Verizon. Google will not compromise brand with bad service ever again

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually let's not blame just Verizon here. I know the big S also had patch delays on the Galaxy Nexus so

it may be the CDMA technology within the phone holding it up. Still

doesn't make it right holding up a patch for several months even compared

to other carriers using CDMA, but what can we do. Right now they have me

by the gonads since I have an unlimited data plan which I will hold until

the end of time or until they forcefully remove it.

If that happens, yea a GSM Provider for me so I get a wider choice in

phones with faster updates.

0 Likes
TheVTech
Enthusiast - Level 3

LOL this is so epic on fail it's funny if not laughable now.

This post was opened June 17 sat until July 11 and we still in SEPTEMBER have NO word on 4.3 and the security it does offer.

I so can't wait for my contract to die.

TenaciousMV
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm on board with a lot of you. Google and/or Verizon should pay fines for advertising this as a Nexus device. The entire reason we bought the Galaxy Nexus was to receive updates nearly immediately. This is a JOKE.

Contract's up on 12/15. I'm switching to Ma Bell that day. Verizon completely and utterly lost all of my respect over the past couple years with this phone. You're losing a decade long customer.

BYE!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Really? You bought the NEXUS only for updates? Had nothing to do with sound quality, signal strength, Data throughput speed, Expansive network. Just the ability to get updates.

Bye

0 Likes