Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the details, wchatam.I have seen this concern before and we have been sure to lift it up to the software development team.
At this time, there is still no information on a software update. As usual, stay tuned to http://bit.ly/n5snpq for announcements.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
windnwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Look, we know and you know Samsung has nothing to do with releasing this update, as Google handles the update, and you aka "Verizon" insist on some ridiculous testing protocol and certification process before releasing it, months after its already available on the GSM versions of the phone. There is no reason for the holdup and part of the reason for the Nexus line is that you get the updates when they come out with no other skins, or crapware from the cell providers. Instead Verizon ignores this, takes months to release the updates and destroys the Nexus experience. It's no wonder that the Nexus 4 was not released in a form compatible with Verizon. I have six Verizon Galaxy Nexus phones at work, and when they are up from contract we will go to a different provider. So yes your boat is sinking and you poked the holes in it.

steampunk_cowboy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I completely agree. But what really amazes me is why Google (and Samsung) agreed to a messy relationship with Verizon for what many called the purist Android phone; and that's why a lot of 'Nexites' think the Verizon version should not be called a Nexus. Aside from its quirks and before my GNex smoked itself from a faulty charging port, I truly loved that smartphone. So now, I've moved on to another 'Sammy' (GS3) and, same as before, am waiting for the 4.3 OTA update for it. At least the Nexus was updated finally to 4.2.2 while the S3 sits at 4.1.2 as rumors continue about Verizon leap-frogging over 4.2.2 to the last Jelly Bean before Key Lime Pie. WTH really knows, eh?

0 Likes
GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

Agree as well ... what is a missed opportunity for Verizon is that if they loosen their grip, told buyers that the Nexus brand was a special partnership between Google, the manufacture and carrier  - that it was both going to get quicker updates and might encounter more technical issue - those of us that love our Galaxy Nexus but are frustrated with the extreme slowness of updates - would buy it in a second - and all the issues in a second. We would even pay a premium.

Instead, now that I have had a taste of the Nexus models ... I am jumping to the Google Nexus 5, probably with AT&T.

The only thing that may stop me is the Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon. It did not have to be this way.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there MikeInATL,

Don't go! I would miss you way too much if you left! I'm a huge fan of technology myself and I completely understand wanting the latest and greatest software on each device. As already mentioned in this thread, we work closely with each manufacture to ensure the software will allow for the best experience once released. Keep in mind you can stay up to date on our official releases right here http://bit.ly/n5snpq

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
windnwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok MelissaM_VZW, where on that page does it list anything about Android 4.3? Are we supposed to just check the page daily until who knows when, and see if Verizon ever posts anything? The point being, we are asking for a schedule of when the update is going to be released so we can stop having to guess if Verizon will ever release the update. As to phone partners, there is only one partner, Google, and they have already done their part, Verizon is the hold up here.

So how about just releasing the update already?

MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

Hi Melissa,

I have no problem with Verizon taking time to work with the manufacture to ensure the software will allow for the best experience once released.  But then don't put the word "Nexus" on YOUR co-branded phone.  I have a serious problem with that, as I'm sure a lot of people do.

Yes, I am leaving.  And I won't miss you when I'm getting updates on my GSM/LTE Nexus as soon as they're published instead if waiting weeks/months.  No reply necessary.

GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can respect this position ... and it is not far from where I am ... the Galaxy Note 3 entices me to stay with Verizon but I believe the Google Nexus 5 will pull me to AT&T

0 Likes
steampunk_cowboy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: the house holds all the cards...always. And, the grass is rarely greener on the other side of the fence. Of all of the mobile carriers, I trust AT&T (actually now at&t) the least. But, I respect everyone's right to choose their own path to mobile happiness.

0 Likes
jerryroy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is absolutely Horrid. I am going to jump ship. 15 days till contract runs out. Their Handling of the Galaxy Nexus has been the absolute worst in History. Also trying to prevent Google from rolling out the Google Wallet is also one of their motivations so they can dump their version (a piece of crap software) on us. As soon as they realize they are just a commodity and bring NOTHING to the table except a network, the better off all the customers will be. ATT has almost caught up with them on Network access so I think I am going with ATT. I can get the phone today and get all the updates ON TIME!