Free up RAM on Fascinate?
clevan

Hello,

Is there anyway that I can free up RAM on the fascinate?  For some reason I am using 269mb out of 325mb anyone know why so much RAM is being used?  I am new to all of this so any reply is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Free up RAM on Fascinate?
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

Android OS is taking about 150 Mb of RAM, the rest is being "eaten up" by Samsung TouchWiz and all of the extra VZW bloatware. 

You may use Advanced Task Killer to set up an autokill for all those pesky bloatware application; however, I have to warn you that doing so may result in killing some essential processes to which bloatware is being attached. That would cause your phone to shutdown or reboot.

I am using Advanced Task Killer to manually kill applications that I am not using for long period of time but which are eating too much memory.

With my Fascinate, I noticed no performance problems even when free RAM drops below 50 Mb. However, with Droid X, performances started to deteriorate as soon as free RAM was dropping south of 80 Mb. 

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1
The fascinate does not need much ram to work well. If you feel you need more, kill tasks. The bloat ware verizon puts on the phone does not run, nor exist unless you ask it to, so you can't blame it.
0 Likes
annoni
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't seen the need to d/l task killer, because I use the resident task killer samsung provides. I wonder if I'm missing anything important? I'm pretty new to android.

0 Likes
casamurphy

You are right-no real need to purchase an app killer app (citation: www.droid-den.com/android-guides/android-guide-should-i-use-a-task-killer ).  Just get in the habit of using the back arrow to "close" an app.  Also, it can be good to put the Task Manager widget on your home page...it will show you how many apps are running and flash red if things are getting to be a drain on your battery.  When you click the widget it opens the Task Manager where you can conveniently use the End All button.  If I had programmed the Task Manager I would have had it return to the home page after that to save the trouble of pressing the home button again.

You might, however want to check out the application called AppControl in the Android Market.  I like it because it not only provides an easy way to close some apps that run in the background and are unnecessary and do use a bit of battery power and RAM, AND easily creates a backup file OF YOUR APPS which you can email to your self and save up at gmail so that if you should ever loose your phone or break it, you will be able to easily re-install your apps.

0 Likes