Re: Fascinate keeps taking screen shots!
cpauger80

I had to call VZW again last night about this and other issues.  I have done multiple resets, checked for updates, *228 option 2, and battery pulls.  The issue will go away for about 10 minutes and then start up again.  The latest is now the phone keeps rebooting itself into safe mode.  I have pulled the battery and restarted and it boots up fine but 15 minutes later it reboots itself back into safe mode.  I have no apps at all on the phone and it is having these issues.  The android app store is a major draw to buying an android smartphone but VZW keeps telling me that it could be an app that is causing this issue so I should take them all off.  So I guess that means that the 1000's of other people that are having these same issues have all put the same app on their phone and that is causing the issue? 

Why will VZW not just come 100% clean that the software on this phone has major defects and makes the phone useless at times?  I am on phone #2 with phone #3 on the way.  I told them if this new CLN phone has the issues I will not accept a 4th Fascinate with the same issues.  Phone #4 will be a Galaxy S II on the A T&T network.  A T&T didn't have these major issues when they rolled out Android 2.2 on the Samsung Captivate (their equivalent to the Fascinate).  Tech support gave me the usual **bleep** script that they are not aware of "WIDESPREAD" issues with this phone.  REALLY?  So the 1000's of calls a day about this phone still doesn't make it widespread.  I referenced this forum as well as others and they said that they can't go by information posted to the internet on these forums.  Then why have this forum?  If VZW isn't going to take the posts that many users have spent time explaining in detail the issues then they should just shut it down.  They kept offering to get me in touch with Samsung to see if they had any alternatives to sending me another Fascinate under the manufacturers warranty.  Passing the buck again.

Truth be told that this WAS a great phone before the 2.2 update.  Since then it has become a rather expensive paper weight that I get to keep paying for month after month.  It is almost like Christmas everyday because I get to wake up and see what surprise my Fascinate will give me that day.  One day was the disco party with the 4 shortcut buttons on the bottom of the phone randomly flashing for several minutes at a time, then there is also the new issue of the phone constantly going into safe mode, there is the hit or miss with sending/receiving text messages, the screen shot lock/unlock, the constant freezing, etc., etc., etc.....

Can't wait for the VZW moderator to thank us again for informing them on these issues because THIS IS THE FIRST THEY ARE HEARING OF THEM (guess they don't actually read their own forums) and they will look into the problems these problems THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HAVING FOR MONTHS NOW.  Completely done with this phone and this provider.  Paying my early termination fee will be money well spent unlike paying VZW monthly for the next year and a half for my useless paperweight.  It's time to "Rethink Possible."  

0 Likes
Not applicable

Everyone, this issue has been lifted up to Samsung and our product team and we have received some samples. I have also submit a request to our product team to see if a setting can be added to turn this feature off. 

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

I have 3 Fascinates.

2 dont seem to have this screen shot problem.

But the third one does. Third one has the most 'market' apps including games on

it.   The 2 that dont have this problem only have a couple of market apps.

Probably just a coincidence, but you never know.

Heh Verizon.  How about getting samsung to release android 2.3 gingerbread for

the Fascinate ???     that will probably fix most of these straggling type issues !!!!

0 Likes
cstephens

I'm glad that I'm not alone in this because I'm being made feel like it's ME that's causing all this or just imagining these issues. The disco lights was a new one for me. I'm glad to see someone else report that issue too because when I mention it VZW just sits on the other end and acts like I'm an isolated issue. I'm on replacement #2 and being forced to take phone #3. I asked for a different phone and was told I could have any phone if I sign up for a new 2yr agreement.... EXCEPT FOR A 4G phone OR AN iPHONE... WTH??? If I sign a new 2yr agreement, then what's it to them if I get a 4G or iPHONE??? It's my MONEY THAT'S PAYING THE BILL EVERY MONTH!! Someone please explain that to me???

0 Likes
bellerin1

Add me to the list of people with the issue of screenshots and bluetooth and missed calls and missed texts...but hey guess what this phone is great a keeping the paper from blowing off my desk when I walk past the desk too fast!

0 Likes
1up

I too am having the same problem with my samsung fascinate.  I am dealing with it and waiting for a fix.  I'm really posting to say, I think it's interesting to see most people blaming a software issue or a hardware issue on Verizon and not the developer of the phone or the developer of the software.  I've seen numerous posts about how they hate verizon and how verizon is screwing everyone because they can't fix this issue...the random screenshot issue is not a verizon problem, it's either a samsung problem or a android software issue.  don't be so quick to knock the number 1 wireless provider in the country just because your samsung phone likes taking pictures of your screen.  I've been a verizon customer for 5 years and will never ever switch to any other carrier...bottom line, verizon is the best there is and if another carrier tries to tell you otherwise it's because they are trying to right a sinking ship...just saying.

0 Likes
cstephens

There is some truth to what you say, but there are also posts on this community regarding Verizon blatant disregard to truly address the issues with the Fascinate. Replacing the hardware that carries the same software; whether it's the software or the hardware, the means at which VZW addresses it's customers concerns is of great issue on this community board too.

There are MANY posts here that speak to the poor customer service provided by the phone centers, the rude employees in the corporate stores, the misleading promises to address concerns; only to not have anyone from the company follow up. So, I wouldn't discount the complaints as unfairly directed at Verizon instead of the manufacturer or programmer. Verizon shares responsibilty as the CELLULAR PROVIDER on this one too. Once, you see a trend, stop denying it's "not a wide spread problem"  and listen to your customers and ADDRESS the issue.

"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...." IJS!

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

1up wrote:

I too am having the same problem with my Samsung fascinate.  I am dealing with it and waiting for a fix.  I'm really posting to say, I think it's interesting to see most people blaming a software issue or a hardware issue on Verizon and not the developer of the phone or the developer of the software.  I've seen numerous posts about how they hate Verizon and how Verizon is screwing everyone because they can't fix this issue...the random screenshot issue is not a Verizon problem, it's either a Samsung problem or a android software issue.  don't be so quick to knock the number 1 wireless provider in the country just because your Samsung phone likes taking pictures of your screen.  I've been a Verizon customer for 5 years and will never ever switch to any other carrier...bottom line, Verizon is the best there is and if another carrier tries to tell you otherwise it's because they are trying to right a sinking ship...just saying.

I agree a hardware issue would be more Samsung. I do not agree with the fact that software issues would only be Samsung or android developers. Please think about the fact 2.2 was delayed because Verizon wanted to modify it before they passed it to us. They slap their own stock apps and make some other changes like and OEM would do with a computer to "customize it" to look like Verizon made this special phone for us.

I personally would love to see Verizon release the original software that Samsung released for this phone. Then those of us that are more savvy could choose Verizon or Samsung. Then we would know the problems we are seeing on the Samsung software are Samsung's fault! Just the opposite if the Samsung software worked fine and the Verizon software started showing problems we would know that something Verizon did during customizing it messed up the phone.

I know I will never see this happen, but please understand that Verizon doesn't just give you the phone without messing with it. They love to customize them, turn off features, install features they think you should pay them for, and the list goes on. The worst is when they toss on items that you can't uninstall. There a few things I never plan to use, I would love uninstall, but they have the phone locked to not allow such activity.

0 Likes
lamass68

What is a third party application?  My phone does the same. If I remove the battery, the screen shots show up in the gallery and I can delete them. 

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

lamass68 wrote:

What is a third party application?  My phone does the same. If I remove the battery, the screen shots show up in the gallery and I can delete them. 

Well I will take a stab at explaining the "third party application" question. Usually this is a application that you download through the marketplace. This installs an application that didn't come stock on your phone. Now you have to be careful, because some of the phones come preloaded with third party applications that  are still present even after a factory reset. For the fascinate the Skype application would be such an application. It is not part of the stock android system, it is made by a third party developer, and Verizon decided to include it.

As for the Camera there is a stock application for it. Now it may not match the original android operating system camera program, but it is what Samsung put on the phone. If you download or install another application to control your camera that would be considered a third party application.

I hope that clears up some of the muddy waters for you.

0 Likes