Re: FROYO IS ON THE WAY- AND YA'LL ARE STILL COMPLAINING!
freshjewbagel

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.

You are now chatting with 'Beonka'

Beonka: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service.  May I help you with your order today?

josh: yes

josh: i am thinking about buying a samsung fascinate

josh: what are the benefits that it has over other android phones?

Beonka: Are you an existing Verizon Wireless Customer?

josh: no

Beonka: The Samsung Fascinate comes with BING search but is also powered by Android and gives you access to the Android Market. Also, The Fascinate has the ability to become a hotspot and also has a 5MP camera and with flash

josh: can it run adobe flash?

Beonka: Yes, It can run Adobe Flash

josh: really?

Beonka: That is correct

josh: i thought adobe flash was only supported on android phones running android os 2.2 or higher?

Beonka: Yes, The Fascinate has received Android 2.2 through a system update and can run Adobe Flash, the site has not updated that at this time

josh: are you sure? i have not seen any news of an OTA update for the fascinate, is there an official verizon press release?

Beonka: Yes I am sure

Beonka: I have double checked my sources to be certain

josh: i am still not convinced, is there official documentation?

Beonka: As mentioned, It is not available online because the site has not been updated

josh: hmmm

Beonka: If you are still not convinced, you can try one of our devices online that does state it has 2.2 is Adobe Flash is an important feature such as the Droid X, HTC Thunderbolt and the Droid 2 Global, But I am certain the Fascinate has 2.2

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

run to a corp store and ask to look at one, print this out and show them

0 Likes
techlife2

For what it is worth, I have contacted Verizon twice today.  Each one of the reps, I spoke with, maintain Samsung's Froyo 2.2 update has been accepted by Verizon but, neither could offer an exact date of the OTA; however, one of them told me not to accept the update on my phone unless it was fully charged or plugged into the charger.  The reason for this precaution is due to the size of the update - 193.0 MB.  If the phone should happen to lose power during the download, you may have trouble just trying to turn it on again. Hopefully, Verizon will add a cautionary notice to the update.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

techlife2 wrote:

For what it is worth, I have contacted Verizon twice today.  Each one of the reps, I spoke with, maintain Samsung's Froyo 2.2 update has been accepted by Verizon but, neither could offer an exact date of the OTA; however, one of them told me not to accept the update on my phone unless it was fully charged or plugged into the charger.  The reason for this precaution is due to the size of the update - 193.0 MB.  If the phone should happen to lose power during the download, you may have trouble just trying to turn it on again. Hopefully, Verizon will add a cautionary notice to the update.

if that happens, just head over to xda, grab thier copy, and use odin

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It shouldn't matter if you lose power during the download or not because it downloads the entire update file first and then you have to reboot for it to install.  The file could however get corrupted during downloaded especially with that big of a file being pulled over 3G but hopefully they have some sort of md5 check to make sure it's legit (doubtful though).  They really need to make it where you can update over wifi.  Guess that's their way of making sure you have it active on a line but you could always just wait until and odin package or update.zip is posted and then it'd be a moot point.

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

mdram4x4 wrote:

techlife2 wrote:

if that happens, just head over to xda, grab thier copy, and use odin

Exactly right, head over and odin and you will be up and running with 2.2
0 Likes
thornbe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was in a Verizon Wireless store yesterday opening a trouble ticket for the poor signal strength issue with my Fascinate.  They were looking at all possible issues and did the *228, pop the battery, checked for updates ....

The rep then looked in the internal support system for information about the Fascinate.  He said I was running the latest update, and that there was a new update listed in the system, but it was not available yet.  I said nothing to the rep about 2.2 or Froyo either.

It looks like something might be staged for release.

- Tim

0 Likes
techlife2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thornbe said:

I was in a Verizon Wireless store yesterday opening a trouble ticket for the poor signal strength issue with my Fascinate.  They were looking at all possible issues and did the *228, pop the battery, checked for updates ....

The rep then looked in the internal support system for information about the Fascinate.  He said I was running the latest update, and that there was a new update listed in the system, but it was not available yet.  I said nothing to the rep about 2.2 or Froyo either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

further information to support my thread's new updated title: "Froyo is on the way and ya'll are still "skeptical!"  :smileywink:

0 Likes
Tarrant

techlife2 wrote:

thornbe said:

further information to support my thread's new updated title: "Froyo is on the way and ya'll are still "skeptical!"  :smileywink:

In light of new information of the past 24 hours, which I'm considering to be credible based on multiple reports from multiple sources around here.... I'm upgrading my position from defeated cynicism to one cautiously raised eyebrow.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
gernerttl
Contributor - Level 1

techlife2 wrote:

If this doesn't just beat all!  The opensource code has been released from Samsung, Verizon has stated they will be doing a push (OTA) for the Froyo 2.2 update on a random basis....and everyone is still unhappy!  I would have thought there would have been a little more happiness and excitement in the air this morning! Come on, people, don''t worry - be happy!  :smileyhappy:

I'm happy...does that count?  My phone works just fine with 2.1_update and it will work just fine with 2.2...:smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes