FROYO Finally Coming???
Yaeckman
Enthusiast - Level 3

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/02/08/samsung-epic-4g-getting-froyo-on-feb-21st-fascinate-following-on-...

Mutiple sources today including the one above say that the long awaited release of 2.2 Froyo is coming to a Fascinate near you on or about 2/22/11.  That's exciting news for all of us here that have been so very patient.  It's a bummer they did not go with 2.3 Gingerbread but beggers can't be choosers.

Look out in 2 weeks for the update!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FROYO Finally Coming???
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi.

Thank you for being so patient.  Verizon Wireless began pushing Android 2.2, Froyo, to the Samsung Fascinate on April 21, 2011.  Enhancements include support for Adobe Flash Player.  You can visit www.verizonwireless.com/fascinatesupport for more information and download instructions for the software update.  Customers will also be able to download the update manually by going to Settings > About Phone > Update Phone.

Thank you,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looking forward to it but if I understood it correctly the Gingerbread update is for tablets not these phones.  If I am wrong, sorry but that is what I read in an article on android central.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

gingerbread is already on some phones

0 Likes
Yaeckman
Enthusiast - Level 3

ladybell wrote:

Looking forward to it but if I understood it correctly the Gingerbread update is for tablets not these phones.  If I am wrong, sorry but that is what I read in an article on android central.

Hi Ladybell:

Actually it's the Honeycomb platform that is for Tablets.  Gingerbread, Froyo, and Ice Cream  (2.4) are for android phones.  At least that is what I understand.

0 Likes
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

So is the 3.0, gingerbread, 2.2, honeycomb, 2.4, ice cream different versions of updated operations?  Its all rather confusing at times.  Any clarity on this would at least be helpful to me so I can understand better.

0 Likes
Yaeckman
Enthusiast - Level 3

ladybell wrote:

So is the 3.0, gingerbread, 2.2, honeycomb, 2.4, ice cream different versions of updated operations?  Its all rather confusing at times.  Any clarity on this would at least be helpful to me so I can understand better.

Actually Honeycomb is 3.0, Gingerbread is 2.3, Froyo is 2.2, and Ice Cream is 2.4.  Ice Cream is supposed to be out 2nd or 3rd quarter of this year.

0 Likes
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, so since we currently are using 2.1 and waiting on 2.2, then does that mean we will then be waiting on 2.3 and then 2.4?  Not trying to be annoying just trying to get my bearings is all.  Thanks in advance BTW.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

ladybell wrote:

Ok, so since we currently are using 2.1 and waiting on 2.2, then does that mean we will then be waiting on 2.3 and then 2.4?  Not trying to be annoying just trying to get my bearings is all.  Thanks in advance BTW.

you got it, that is if they come at all, not all phones are upgraded, the shelf life of cell phones nowadays is a year at best.

after that they may not be upgraded other then in an emergency.

0 Likes
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's crazy how much we pay for all these gadgets, from phones, to docks, to tablets, computers, tvs and DSLR's and more.  Only to be out of date with the current latest and greatest within months.  Got all of us by the short hairs, but I guess we are suckers for what they are selling.  I'm just a sucker for my gadgets

0 Likes
Re: FROYO Finally Coming??? - I BELIEVE!!
3dman

I spoke to Verizon by phone on monday concerning the fact that I got the phone last September, and I was told at the time of purchase the Froyo 2.2 update would be released a few weeks after my purchase. I explained what the phone's shortcomings were in relevance to my intended usage of the phone. She agreed that I had a legitimate complaint, and I hadn't had the phone too long to warrant a replacement to another phone. She stated that she needed to transfer me  to another department to set up the exhchange, and asked to put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back on line, she stated that she talked to the person in the other department, and they stated that Froyo would be released within the next 2 weeks. That fits the timeline for the original post. I made her make a notation in my file concerning our conversation, and that I was told the update would happen within the next few weeks. She said that if it didn't happen, I had a legitimate reason to return the phone in exchange for another type with 2.2 installed on it. I very strongly feel that the update is going to happen before the end of the month.

0 Likes