Re: Dropped calls on Galaxy Nexus
walidmrealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh I see, you're right. The user has the phones, but none of the issues the rest of us are plagued by.

0 Likes
RobMorg
Enthusiast - Level 3

walidmrealtor,

Thanks for the links for stories about the pending release of 4.0.5.  Apparently this news was leaked by someone called Black_man_X, and I see with a google search that it's all over the moble web community now.  However I'm a little concerned that nowere in any of these news stories does it refer to this "one way voice" issue that we are having.  It does suggest that there is a fix for the "Audio Reboot Problem", however that problem refers to the phone rebooting with the running of certain audio media apps - not this problem.

I would really feel much better if I were to see some sort of verification that this particular "one way voice" problem during phone calls has been addressed by this pending software release.  Like everyone, I'm hoping for the best.  But I'm going to be really surprised if this issue is fixed with a phone software update.  I still believe that it is a hardware problem that exhibits itself in areas with older cell towers - especially in areas where LTE is not yet avilable.

No one would be happier than I, if it turns out that I'm wrong about that.

0 Likes
kabull
Contributor - Level 1

The "news" release is definitely interesting.  Problem is they have been talking about an update of this nature since the day after the phone was released.  I think one of the headlines was: "Verizon admits there are issues and promises update soon".  I believe that was in December.  Here we are three months later and I still can't have a normal conversation on this phone.  No one hopes this updates comes soon and works well more than I.  However, after many dealings with Verizon they decided to directly connect me to Samsung.  Samsung more or less said there must be an issue with my antenna.  I should send my phone back to them and have the antenna replaced.  Could take up to four weeks.  No guarantee this would solve the issue.  A supervisor from Verizon phoned me later that afternoon and I told her what I had been told by Samsung.  Her response was before you send the phone back to them you should send it back to us and we will send you a "new refurbished" phone that has met all of our inspection criteria.  No guarantees there either.  Kind of scary.  I was told in that call that since I bought the phone from Verizon that they were ultimately responsible, thats why I needed to send it back to them.  Needless to say, I am just a bit confused.  And very worried!!

0 Likes
Gilrez
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is exactly what's happening to my wife and me. We both have Galaxy Nexus, and we both have the same problem. Your talking on the phone and the other person can't hear you. This happens when we talk to each other, and when we talk to other people.

0 Likes
danbrown
Contributor - Level 1

There are definitely thousands of us with this problem. Here are some references just in case anyone wants to read more:

XDA Forums - "Microphone cutting out mid call"

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1403051

Google Code - Galaxy Nexus mutes mid-call

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

Google Code - phone call outbound audio drops

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23733

Android Forums -  Other person can't hear me. 

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/472451-other-person-cant-hear-me.html

Galaxy Nexus Forums - Mic Issue

http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussion/1112-mic-issue.html

Droid Forums.net - Voice Call Problems

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussions/189519-voice-call-problems-2.html

XDA Forum - "Poll - Verizon Galaxy Nexus In-Call Microphone Issue - Location Map"

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1545621

...and a few more:

ist of Websites showing customers of Verizon using a Google Galaxy Nexus having this problem:

·         Issue 23733 - android - phone call outbound audio drops - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project...

·         Other person can't hear me.

·         Microphone cutting out mid call - Page 3 - xda-developers

·         Can you hear me? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

·         Voice Call Problems... - Page 2

·         Mic issue

·         Galaxy Nexus : Person on the other end of a call suddenly can't hear me. - Google Mobile Help

·         Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Issue Fix In The Works

·         Voice Call Problems...

·         Google Voice Call on Galaxy Nexus Verizon - Other party hearing clicking noises and poor call qualit...

0 Likes
mwoods269
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I have the same issue. After a random amount of time the other person can no longer hear me and eventually one of us hangs up. After looking in to it being a app related issue (it's not) I began researching NFC which has the ability to mute calls among other things. My first thought was maybe having the 2100mAh extended NFC battery was the issue then I decided to turn off NFC on my galaxy nexus just now as of this writing. Called my brother whom has this issue as well and the first call went for approx 5 mins then he said I was breaking up but it never actually muted me. I hung up and called him back and the second call went for 15mins clear as day and no muting. I am not saying I found the fix but I'd like to have a bunch of folks try this out and see what their results are. I will be posting this in all the usual forums, xda, droid-life.com, androidcentral, etc

0 Likes
mwoods269
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I have the same issue. After a random amount of time the other person can no longer hear me and eventually one of us hangs up. After looking in to it being a app related issue (it's not) I began researching NFC which has the ability to mute calls among other things. My first thought was maybe having the 2100mAh extended NFC battery was the issue then I decided to turn off NFC on my galaxy nexus just now as of this writing. Called my brother whom has this issue as well and the first call went for approx 5 mins then he said I was breaking up but it never actually muted me. I hung up and called him back and the second call went for 15mins clear as day and no muting. I am not saying I found the fix but I'd like to have a bunch of folks try this out and see what their results are. I will be posting this in all the usual forums, xda, droid-life.com, androidcentral, etc

0 Likes
mwoods269
Enthusiast - Level 2

20 minute test call and it started the robot choppy noise but never muted. NFC off keeps it from muting but the call get's so choppy you can't hear anything......then it seemed to drop. It didn't fix it but why did having NFC off change the behavior?

0 Likes
RobMorg
Enthusiast - Level 3

NFC could possibly have something to do with this issue.  The only thing we can say for sure is that it is clearly NOT an issue caused by adding user software or even changing ROM's.   I strongly believe it is a hardware issue that is triggered when operating within older CDMA cell areas.

I live in SE Pennsylvania and suffer this problem all the time.  However whenever I travel to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia - both areas with upgraded VZW equipment and good LTE service -  I NEVER experience the problem. 

0 Likes
mwoods269
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow I too live in south york PA Red Lion to Shrewsbury area and had that thought as well but I have a friend that lives 4 miles away and claims he never has this issue.

0 Likes