Re: Dropped calls on Galaxy Nexus
RobMorg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Turning off LTE does not help.  I do not have LTE service yet in my area (50m NW of Phila), so I have always set phone to "CDMA only" to save battery.   I experience this issue freqently. 

0 Likes
lansing
Enthusiast - Level 3

There seems to be a big lack of information not only from VZW but on this thread.  ICS 4.0.4 was apparently being tested, and per VZW is rolling out this month...based on device serial numbers.

Has anyone received the update yet?  Here's what to expect:

http://mirolta.com/2012/02/05/android-4-0-4-update-is-available-for-verizon-samsung-galaxy-nexus/

Changelog ( Unofficial )

• Noticeably Faster
  • Android OS bug fixed (in battery stats)
  • Long-pressing on a blank spot on the last page of app tray bug is gone
  • New Radios. 3G/4G switching MUCH better. Don’t even notice it changing.
  • Improved signal strength
  • New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom.
  • PRIMELA03 Bootloader
  • Faster boot up time
  • Auto-brightness Functionality changed. Smooth transition
  • Holding down camera button now refocuses again
  • Multitouch issue seems resolved.
  • Autorotate is faster
  • Browser performance noticeably improved
  • Recent apps list opens faster
  • Miscellaneous camera UI changes
  • Increased volume3
  • Keyboard fixes
  • Updated News & Weather app UI
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There has been nothing official yet for that possible update. Not every customer is going to want update to something that isn't official or even know that an update is in the works.

I haven't had any dropped calls and I see no reason to update until the OFFICIAL update is released.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
walidmrealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

There's another discussion going on regarding this issue on the Google code forum - http://code.google.com/p/android/issues

0 Likes
walidmrealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

We haven't had dropped calls either. It isn't a dropped call issue.

The problem is that at some point in a phone conversation, the person using the Nexus phone is unable to be heard by the person on the other end of the call.

We could both sit there and hold the phones indefinitely...the call does not drop.

I have often had to call the same person 6 or 7 times to complete a conversation.

RobMorg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann154 wrote:

There has been nothing official yet for that possible update. Not every customer is going to want update to something that isn't official or even know that an update is in the works.

I haven't had any dropped calls and I see no reason to update until the OFFICIAL update is released.

Of course you wouldn't download an unofficial update it you were not experiencing the problem.  But for the 28-30% of VZW Galaxy Nexus customers (according to a recent survey responded to by thousands of users) who ARE experiencing the one-way call issue, we would try ANYTHING to be able to reliably use our phones. 

I have tried the leaked FA02 radios, as have others, without success.  The problem persists.  In my case, the signal strength did not improve either.  So I've flashed back to the stock EK05 radios and am waiting for the "fix" from Samsung and VZW.   That fix was supposed to be out by the end of last month, but now tech support is advising customers that Samsung will not have it done before sometime later in March, if at all.  This is getting REALLY tiresome.

If you look at the messages across the Internet from folks who are experiencing the problem,  it seems to be mostly in areas NOT covered by LTE service.  I suspect that it is not an issue that can be cured by a software update, which could be why the software update never came.  I suspect this problem is a combination of bad phone hardware interacting with older VZW cell towers.  If that's it, it would be nice if VZW would just tell us, so we can get another phone and move on with our lives. 

0 Likes
kmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since VZW isn't even acknowledging there is a problem my suggestion is to start filing complaints with the BBB and as many other companies as you can. It's becoming readily apparent that this isn't being addressed in a formal capacity in respectful manner. We're treated like Apple treated it's companies -- except ours is a software problem (something that can be readily addressed without too much of a hit on profits).

I get 4G. It's fast when it is -- as pathetic as the early 90's data plan is, but it's expected when all that matters is profits -- but even SITTING ON MY DESK I will lose reception randomly. Full bars to dead. I'll get a call and one ring in to it -- signal is lost before I even pick it up. Heaven forbid I'm driving. Or want to send a text. Or am streaming music.

I'm seriously thinking about asking for a replacement every month. Perhaps if the 30% of us had to eat through phones it will become an incentive for them to address the issue in a formal capacity?

0 Likes
RobMorg
Enthusiast - Level 3

walidmrealtor wrote:

We haven't had dropped calls either. It isn't a dropped call issue.

The problem is that at some point in a phone conversation, the person using the Nexus phone is unable to be heard by the person on the other end of the call.

We could both sit there and hold the phones indefinitely...the call does not drop.

I have often had to call the same person 6 or 7 times to complete a conversation.

That is EXACTLY the issue that so many of us have.  This thread is misappropriately titled.  At least VZW tech support is now acknowledging the issue, although they are not offering solutions except to exchange the phone for another Galaxy Nexus.  That does not resolve the issue.  I LOVE this phone, except for one BIG problem...  I cannot reliably use it as a phone.  If the issue can be fixed with software, lets get it done.  If it can't, VZW, please tell us so and resolve the issue by offering affected uses a RAZR MAXX, or whatever. 

mikem84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have been on the phone for about 3 hours with tech support. He does admit that there is a problem but its a Samsung problem and that VZW is doing us a favor for even exchange our devices. He basically gave me 3 choices. Choice 1 stick with Nexus and keep getting it replaced as often as needed and wait for a fix. Choice 2 exchange it for 16gb razr although he would make an exception and send me the 32gb razr from their "like new replacement", razr maxx not even an option. Choice 3 he would make an exception to my account and allow me to buy any new device at normal upgrade price, dont even think about any discount or promo. So much for customer service.

0 Likes
mikem84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just received a replacement phone. It has a date of 2-28-2012. I also noticed that the baseband version isn't the same as my previous phone.

Screenshot_2012-03-07-14-18-19[2].png

My previous phone had version; I515.10 V.EK05 / I515.EK02

Anybody have an idea about the difference.

0 Likes