Did anyone receive two random updates, last night, called Soundback and Kickback?
cstephens

Did anyone receive two random updates, last night, called Soundback and Kickback?

I've posted multiple messages regarding the multitude of problems I have had with this phone since the ED05 update and no one from VZW has chimed in with a solution from this forum. However, I have received several posts from other community members recommending yet another HARD RESET. Although, I have gone through the process of a hard reset, way too many times, I went ahead and completed one three nights ago. After completing the reset, I reprogrammed the phone and set up ONLY THE STANDARD ISSUE VERIZON APPS.

While in the middle of a text message last night, I saw an alert pop up across the top of the phone stating there were three updates found. Then, the phone just AUTOMATICALLY started updating. Instead of three updates, the phone appeared to have updated FIVE apps: Soundback, Kickback, Bing for VZW, VCAST Tones and Gmail. By the time I could dial Tech Support, it started prompting me for a Google Signin because somehow, my existing login was now invalid (how?? no clue). This pop up to re-sign in to Google would not go away.

Tech Support asked me to reprogram the phone (*228) then transferred me off to 2nd level support when that didn't work-- BEFORE THE TRANSFER HE INFORMED ME HAD JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ANOTHER CALLER EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM AND HE DIDN'T KNOW WHERE/WHY THIS UPDATE OCCURRED... NICE! 

2nd level support tried to say that it my phone got corrupted because of one of my apps, I downloaded from the market. To my glee, I was able to inform this person that I HAD NO THIRD-PARTY APPS installed on the phone because I had just completed a hard reset two days prior and was only running Verizon issued apps. So, the only possible app to corrupt my phone had to have been a Verizon app based on the list of apps that automatically updated. At that point, she said "We'll just send you a new Fascinate (SIGH.. REALLY?? HERE WE GO AGAIN??) 

Did anyone else see this odd update last night? If so, what was it and why did it come across?

0 Likes
Re: Did anyone receive two random updates, last night, called Soundback and Kickback?
thornbeck
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, happened to me too.  I was in the Market doing another app update and these updates started to happen automatically.

Thanks,

- Tim

0 Likes
Re: Did anyone receive two random updates, last night, called Soundback and Kickback?
cstephens

I just tried to go into the Market to find this app and I was still getting this pop-up to signin to Google. I went to task manager to cancel the Market, then into my settings to manage applications and cleared all the data for the Market app. I was able to access the Market without the pop-up. I thought I was home free until the alert appeared again for three updates (doh!) It's already automatically updated Gmail again and the other three are in queue. When I look at MyApps, I see Skype and Talkback waiting to update.

Any suggestions on this issue??

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

This happened to my Wife and I last night as well, kickback, talkback were both automatically updated on our Droid Charges.....why?? Now when you goto my apps in the market, if you scroll further down, past installed apps, it also lists some apps that are "not installed" like...street view for google maps and such. Anyone know why this has happened?

0 Likes
samanthalauryn

Mine did the crazy update thing last night and it's doing it again right now as I type this message. '4 updates found' shows up at the top and then it automatically starts updating 4 random apps. I wasn't really concerned by it last night but it's doing it again and now it's kinda irking me so I'm here looking for answers.

0 Likes
cstephens

I can see the updates again on my phone too!! I had to clear the data settings in the market so that I could open the market and disable the auto updates for Talkback, Kickback, Soundback and Street level view. Now, it can find the update all day long but it won't automatically start loading. Those apps are what corrupted my phone last night and it's trying to do it again.

0 Likes
higgielk

looks like soundback and kickback are google apps for speech recognition.  kickback augments the other 2.  if you want more info, just search the name with app after it

0 Likes
blfesper

I received those updates as well, only it was a mere hour or so ago. It did not cause any login issues, but did quite upset me.

I had assumed that the updates were being pushed by Google (I guess they ultimately were), but when I saw the Bing on Verizon update, I knew that it was Verizon (in my opinion) overstepping their boundaries. Not only did they force an update that was non-essential to the functionality of the phone, but defaulted the market items to automatically update on their own. (Go ahead... check your installed apps in the Market. I'll wait.)

Verizon, if you are truly responsible for this, I am deeply disappointed! Although the devices may be subsidized through the monthly plans, I still paid a pretty penny for this device, and therefore consider it MINE, and not yours to randomly pollute with bloatware.

If I had done the same to your phone or computer (and note... I am NOT), I would have been immediately sequestered and prosecuted for cybercrimes.

It pains me to see the inferior Bing product on a phone based on a GOOGLE operating system, and even more so to see it forceably reinstalled. I have since forceably removed it from MY phone, and I EXPECT it to REMAIN removed, thank you very much!

Verizon, this, and the diminishing signal quality I have been experiencing over the last couple months in previously strong signal areas are just two more punches in the face of a once champion in your corner, defending you against all other mobile carriers to friends and family. No more... I will at least now be evaluating options.

0 Likes
blfesper

... and fyi, Soundback and Kickback are parts of a screen reader that will read your texts and/or emails aloud to you. (hands and eyes off the phone)

0 Likes
cstephens

to blfesper: I discovered this forcible update setting on these apps as well. It appears that ALL VZW apps are coded so that the automatic update box is checked by default. I went into all their apps and disabled the automatic update setting

0 Likes