Date/Time Loss When Removing Battery
MaxSmart
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I remove by battery, I seem to lose my date/time.  This shouldn't be happening, since there is an internal battery on the motherboard that should be maintaining the date/time.  Could someone confirm this as a bug?

Put your phone in airplane mode (hold the power button like you do when you're switching the phone off, there's an option there)

Switch off wifi.

Power down the phone.

Remove the battery.

Replace the battery.

Power on the phone.

Is the date/time correct?  Or is it December 31, 1999?

Thanks!

Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Date/Time Loss When Removing Battery
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually my Nexus does do this when rebooting in airplane mode, wifi off and SIM card removed. But wait! My Thunderbolt does the same thing. I never thought of it as "A Bug". For my Nexus, when I have the SIM card removed and in airplane mode, I usually have it connected to a WiFi network when I reboot the phone. The Nexus will restart the wifi radio upon reboot and will set the time correctly. The Tbolt on the other hand won't turn on the wifi radio for the device to check with the outside server for the time. I usually end up turning off the automatic time setting for whichever phone is currently inactive and sitting around the house in airplane mode.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MaxSmart
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does it only do this if you remove the SIM card, or does it do it if you just cut off the power (ie remove the battery)?

(according to google, the time/date should be maintained by the bios battery - not sure if SIM card removal cuts off power to that)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like with the SIM card in and airplane mode one with WiFi off then the battery pulled the time doesn't hold on my Nexus.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes