Considering Verizon and the Samsung Fascinate? Don't do it...
LandLockedPH

If you're considering switching to Verizon and getting a new Samsung Fascinate... I can't recommend either.

Read the various threads on this forum and take them seriously.  Verizon Wireless has "gimped" an otherwise excellent device, does not support it (or their customers), and will not respond to comments or complaints openly in this forum.

I did receive a call from customer service.  The CSR listened politely and said "I'm sorry" several times and then left the call saying, "that's just the way it is"!  In other words, 'we've got your money now and you're stuck with it'.

I've learned my lesson... too late.  But, you don't need to make the same mistake.

Merry Christmas!

0 Likes
Re: Considering Verizon and the Samsung Fascinate? Don't do it...
LandLockedPH

To Verizon's credit, I did receive the following reply to my post:

Recent Post
12-23-2010 10:18 AM

Good morning!

My name is Morgan and I am a Verizon Wireless representative. I have read your recent post: Considering Verizon and the Samsung Fascinate? Don't do it and I would like to help you. So that I can better understand, please advise me of your concerns and issues with your device and/or Verizon Wireless. I would like to answer and help resolve any issues. I'm looking forward to your response.

MorganB

To which I replied on the same day:

Subject:  Verizon response

Morgan,

Thank you for at least reaching out to reply.

I moved to Verizon Wireless for the first time this year bringing four lines for my family.  We currently have three Samsung Fascinate devices and to be honest, I'm tired of paying for features that we were sold as coming with this phone that don't work.  Since you've been monitoring these forums, I'm sure that non of the things I'm about to mention will be new to you.

First, the time it takes for the GPS to lock unto a usable signal is unacceptable.  I travel for a living and rely on my phone to provide that service.  Having experienced the quick lock of the Incredible and seeing others with numerous non-Samsung devices locking on without an issue is maddening.  I was told when we purchased these phones that this widely reported Galaxy S issue had been resolved with the Verizon Fascinate.  Then, we were told that a "fix" would resolve the issue.  Then, we were told that another "fix" coming end of November/early December would resolve the issue.  Still, nothing has been done.  Going into the new year, I will be on the road a good deal of the time with a "smartphone" whose GPS is useless in strange cities.

Other issues... the stock email program that comes on the device is useless.  Again, we were told this would be fixed by the first "fix".  Not so.

We purchased two desk docks that we later found (after we got home)  stickers stating that the audio out would not be available until Android 2.2.  When we asked our sales rep, we were told that would be in "a couple weeks".  I think that was back in September.  I've lost track of time.  We have had these useless desk docks since we bought the phones.

Then, there's Bing.  Again we were told that with Android 2.2 (a couple of weeks), Verizon would not force Bing on this phone.  Why would I buy a Google device primarily for all of the features that Google brings to the table when those "features" have been gimped?  Oh yeah, "a couple of weeks". 

There are numerous other issues (including apps being updated for 2.2 only, poor Bluetooth compatibility, poor wifi radio, slow program load time - aka lag, etc. ) that I could go on about.  But as I stated above, I'm sure it's nothing new to you.

Android 2.3 is  now out and I'm sure will be available for the Motorola and HTC phones of the world.  When will THAT be available for the Samsung Fascinate?

My wife and daughter are OK with their Fascinates.  Since I rely on mine for work and while traveling, I am extremely disappointed in Verizon's lack of support for this phone.  Not expecting improvement any time soon, I will do what's necessary to take our business elsewhere while looking for a company who cares about their customers and supports the devices they sell.  And, I'll make sure that everyone on these and the various other forums knows why.  Not that I believe you care,

I know you're just caught in the middle and like the rep that called me a week ago... all you can do is apologize for the problems with this phone while saying you don't know when anything will change.  But, I appreciate the fact that at least you made an attempt.

Merry Christmas.

By the way, I'm not the least bit interested in an iPhone.

I haven't heard anything since.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely agree with you on this.  It still completely blows me away how many times customers were sold this phone on features that don't work or don't work well and were made numerous promises that fixes are shortly forthcoming.  Its VZW sales reps jobs to make sure you have a phone that works for you...not to lie to you, etc.  I'm also completely blown away at the fact that there are numerous people that will still try and obsolve VZW any responsibility for said customers' troubles.  The more time that this crap drags on with VZW and Android in general, I'm beginning to hate Android more and more.  If all this crap don't start getting taken care of soon, its going to push people to other smartphone types.

0 Likes
10sEn
Contributor - Level 3
Regarding your GPS issue with the Fascinate, it seems to be a common one. I may have discovered a solution through trial-and-error after reading many "solutions" that didn't work for my phone. When I check the "standalone GPS" and "Google location" services under Location & Security AND the "use my larson" under Privacy, I have found that the Fascinate locates me accurately (though Google apps, such as Map and Navigate) within seconds as opposed to the minutes or hours it would take before (and it was always off before).

Personally, I haven't had any issues with the POP emailing software on the phone. It syncs every 15 minutes like I ask it to through the settings. The only times I have had issues are when I was not receiving data service.

As for the software updates, the Fascinate software updates are provided by Samsung, not Verizon. Verizon only updates the firmware that operates things on their end. I'm patiently waiting for the new OS update, as well. But it appears that your other issues will be fixed with the new update from Samsung. Unfortunately, everyone was told September, then October, then December, and now who knows for sure? They are working out the bugs in the update, supposedly, but we may be receiving the Gingerbread (v2.3) update instead of Froyo (v2.2) at this rate.

Hope this helps resolve your GPS location issue at the very least.
0 Likes
LandLockedPH

Thanks for the suggestions.  Although I've tried the same with no difference in the time it takes to locate.

As for the "software", I think Samsung supplied a final release to Verizon some time ago.  Now they're taking their time adding their "bloatware" (VZ Navigator, Bing, My Verizon, etc.) and blocking various stock Android features like WiFi tethering.  That's what's taking so long.

What's their incentive to do this?  Customer service?  HA! HA! HA!

Happy New Year!

0 Likes
10sEn
Contributor - Level 3

Samsung is releasing updates for the Fascinate (and other Galaxy S phones) in various parts of the world.  The U.K. (about a month or so ago), parts of Asia (also about a month or more), and Canada (this week) have had a chance to update their OS.  Of course, they had to halt the updates because of some bugs that caused the phone to lock up and become useless.  It remains to be seen if this update in Canada will work.  But they are working on it.

While it may not seem like they have any incentive to provide the software updates (as they are a hardware company), it really is in their best interest to do so if they want to remain in this business (of selling cellular phones).  If they don't, they'll lose a lot of repeat customers.  Of course, at this point, they might doing more damage control than anything else.  We'll see if they deliver a stable OS that can showcase what this phone is capable of being.

Hope you have a happy new year, as well, and let's keep our fingers crossed for a stable update in about a month or two.

0 Likes
nospam2k

I don't think I will ever understand the philosophy behind many companies non-communication policy. I just got a Samsung Fascinate in November and probably wouldn't have if I knew that the 2.2 firmware wouldn't be out either ever or for several months. There are significant issues that are addressed in 2.2. So, by not communicating, you got me to buy the phone, good for you. But I like 1000's of other "suckers" write blogs, various complaints on forums and generally trash (or reveal) the reputation of Verizon and Samsung. Can that really be better then me simply not buying that phone because Samsung and Verizon were honest in their release information? 2.3 is starting to trickle out, Verizon's upgrade policy is 18months. So you buy what think is the latest hardware but cannot use it because it's not the latest software. Worse yet, neither Verizon or Samsung are willing to admit it. Worst of all you have to wait 18 months (= 3 lifetimes) to upgrade. The result, one unhappy, complaining customer that is hoping that GSM coverage will get better so they can one day jump ship... who is sure from reading 1000's of similar posts that he isn't alone.

Personally, I'm tired of the hit and miss experience I've had with handsets and versizon. I've had 4 phones from Verizon, only 2 have been good experiences. My family and I will no doubt be moving to the next wireless company that comes along with something better to offer. After 3 years of being with Verizon, there is 0% accrued customer loyalty. All because they simply won't communicate. You can't expect loyalty when you are "misinformed" (aka being lied to).

0 Likes
LandLockedPH

I find it amazing that while MorganB Wireless Employee replied to my original post on 12/23, I've heard nothing from "her" since!

0 Likes
bigfrank69
Contributor - Level 1

{please keep your posts courteous} be calm, there is nothing wrong with Verizon as they are the best. If you think the big V is bad go and try the other carriers and see. Just {please keep your posts courteous} wait for the fixes, and I think the fascinate is a great phone {please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
ldeweyjr

Uh, yeah. Let's all just sit quietly while Verizon takes advantage of us.  It is complaints like this that force the issue with these carriers and make them live up to their commitments.

Leave it to Verizon to ruin a perfectly good piece of hardware.  They loaded it up with crapware (bloatware) to pad their profit margins. I would normally tolerate that because computer manufactures have been doing it for years...but here is the big difference. Verizon has locked the Fascinate so the user CAN'T uninstall their apps.  So your stuck with stupid apps like Blockbuster (probably going out of business this year) and a long list of other apps including Verizon's own apps to push other services like their music sales, ringtones, map service...apps to milk yet more money out of their customers. They set their own apps as the default and make it difficult or impossible to change anything.  They have crippled the ability to tether (use the phone as a wifi access point unless you use Verizon's app and pay them an extra $20 per month.  And, as if that weren't enough, they are STILL stuck on Adroid version 2.1 while everyone else in the Adroid world is moving on 2.3.   In the Smartphone world., this is like the difference between Windows 95 and Windows 7.
Verizon! Stop focusing on how you can make more money and just sell me a phone that I can control myself.

As stated by another user, I bought a docking system (Samsung OEM) but the audio output doesn't work...because we're still stuck on Andoid 2.1.

Oh, and for the response that "if you don't like it, find another carrier"  Well once you get this phone, you're locked into a 2 year contract.  Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, I just HATE what Verizon has done to it.  When I bought it, they don't bother to explain that you can't uninstall the crapware. 

{edit for TOS violation}

0 Likes