Connection Oddities
monkeybuttg

First off, I know that many people are experiencing signal/data issues... I just haven't seen anyone mention the issues that I'm  having specifically.

Second, I love the Galaxy Nexus.  I'm mostly OK with being an early-adopter and experiencing a few issues here and there.  I'm one to jump at the latest and greatest and understand that nothing is perfect.  I started with the G1 when it came out and have been through just about every Android phone (including the Nexus "1").

The issue I'm having is, as the subject indicates, the signal/data connections.  Everything will be moving along nicely, both voice/text and data... but then everything will stop.  It seems to happen after I use the data (maybe some web browsing in the stock browser, maybe a quick Facebook check, etc.)... I'll get the "no data connection" or whatever message, then nothing works.  I can't make a call, I can't text, and nothing but a reboot will fix it.  If I try to text it immediately fails.  If I try to make a call it says "dialing" forever (I haven't waited for more than a few minutes though), and if I try to end the call it says "hanging up" forever.  Nothing works...including airplane mode.  I have to reboot the phone to get any type of radio signal back.  I still see "bars" in the signal indicator, but no 3G/4G of course.

It's pretty consistent and annoying... I'm at the point where I have to either dial my own number or send myself a text every little while just to check if things are working, otherwise I have no idea.  It happened 6 times yesterday and already a few times today.  I have yet to talk to a VZW rep since they never seem to have an idea of what's going on - and I don't care to reset the phone a bunch of times and waste hours of my time in that vicious loop.  All I would like to know from you guys is if this scenario is something you've experienced?  I have no problem taking it to the store and having it replaced, but I have a feeling that it's not just my particular device.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Connection Oddities
hiscraziness

I have been having the same issue with my Nexus. I've brought it in a couple times to have them look at it. The first time they replaced the sim card but that didn't resolve the issue, the second time (which was today) I was told Verizon was working on fixing the problem. I'm not sure how long it will take (if they can even fix the issue) because it may be an actual issue with the radio hardware. I'm hoping its just a software glitch and they can release an update to fix it soon. My only concern is Samsung's history. I had a Fascinate which had a similar issue, reception and dropped calls. Both Samsung and Verizon admitted there was something wrong with the phone and Verizon offered to replace it with a different device entirely. Because of this I was reluctant to buy the Nexus, but I gave Sammy another chance. I really hope this isn't a case of Déjà vu because I really love the phone. With that being said I hope Google picks another company for the next Nexus, like Motorola or back to HTC.

0 Likes
andycho

I've been having all sorts of problems with Galaxy Nexus.. I'm thinking it's the Verizon's Network(LTE) not the phone. I had my Galaxy Nexus on release day. I bought two of them. After having the phone, I noticed several rebooting with Galaxy Nexus. I ignored for awhile but it's got worse. So, I decided return the phone. I receive brand new GN in several days later. But, this new GN had was plague with signal loss. I would lose all the signal completely for 4-5 sec for no reason..I couldn't even make a call during the signal loss. So, I called the tech support(1) then 2nd level of tech support. Level 2 tech told me they know about this issue with LTE ..and they are hoping to get an update for it. I was dissatisfied with the phone and now they told me that they'll replace this phone with reconditioned one ...this is how they put it..like new phone..LOL. I told them to send me a another simcard and if that simcard does not fix the issue then, I'll call BBB so I can get a new phone in replace of it. Verizon is providing a defective service(LTE). Verizon knows about this issue...I'm pretty sure, majority of people remembered the mass LTE(4g) outage across U.S. but, what Verizon do..nothing just simply ignore it. No apologies to consummers...no explainations. This is unacceptable...this is more worse than antenna-gate with Apple. It's not the Samsung or Google problems..I believe it's the Verizon. I'm at the point where I'm going to jump ship ..After sending lengthy complaints to BBB for Verizon services.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Don't be so sure that it's VZW's fault.  I use my GSM Galaxy Nexus on other carriers and have this network connectivity problem, too.  Hopefully, the update that I got last night will fix it.  If not, I may try flashing a different radio.

0 Likes