Re: Can we get any details on 4.0.4 Update for the Galaxy Nexus
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

It is understandable that Verizon isn't going to tell buyers that the Nexus is a great developer phone because yeah they want to sell phones not scare away sales. Sales are why smart business people start businesses.

What I meant by keeping quite about the Nexus is that they probably figured out that the masses are more tuned towards products like the Razr. Really as far as the whole slow update thing goes the GSM versions only got updated OTA about a month ago and like most of the Community Leaders have been saying our Nexus is CDMA which is locked down differently than GSM causing more issues to both Google and Verizon.

I just want to clarify. You had a bad experience with the TBolt then got a free Charge ( minus some accessories which just means you didn't negotiate well because I was able to get them to also replace my extended battery and send me the INCIPIO case ) , then didn't like the Charge, and then still renewed your contract for a Nexus that you also now hate? The updates for the Thunderbolt took seemingly forever and the Charge Gingerbread update took seemingly forever ( which I downloaded from an online source ) but you still renewed with Verizon and got another Sansung Android?

Finally, You obviously talk to Verizon reps a lot so have you gotten a email address or a # to any of the reps that know how to do their jobs? In my journey with the TBolt I learned who to call and how to talk to reps to climb out of the idiot pile to get an employee that not only knew Android but also cared for my feedback. I even had lines out to HTC the phones manufacture, have you tried contacting Sammy?

It seems like a lot of people aren't learning lessons here. I love my Androids but in cases like this I have to ask why not get an iPhone???

mykaelp
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did not enjoy the closed ecosystem and lack of customization of the iPhone.  It is a great product, with superb support. My wife has loved all of hers.  Of course Apple is smart and shuts Verizon out nearly all aspects of this phone, thus the good end product.  You can be assured if Verizon was involved in any aspect, other than selling them  and using their network, it would not be the product it is now.  I tried a iPhone 4, and returned it in the return window.  Mostly due to screen size, and above.  I will be going iPhone in the future, despite the cult mentality of crazed Apple fanatics. I am now willing to trade screen size and customization for something that simply works, and does not have Verizon's bloatware and general incompetence associated with my phone. It will not be with Verizon however.

I do not "obviously" talk to a lot of reps.  As I clearly articulate, it is a waste of my time.  My Thunderbolt was constantly rebooting, had abysmal battery life, and massive connectivity issues. So yeah, I talked to them a few times to send me new ones as my local Verizon store refused to do anything about it.  My negotiation skills had nothing to do with the boorish behavior of the employees and management of the local stores refusal to return my accessories for the Thunderbolt.

I like my Nexus.  No where did I say otherwise.  I did not renew my contract to purchase my G. Nexus.  I hate contracts.  My wife, not so much. Her contract is ending, and we will be bailing Verizon. I do have minor issues, none of which I suspect will be fixed with this update. I suggest you read and comprehend my comments more carefully.  What I say is that I loathe Verizon and the way they treat their customers, and their complete lack of effort relating to software updates and their non existent communication.  Which, for a telecommunications company, is highly ironic.

You try and "partially" blame customers for Verizon's lack of support, saying everyone should basically root their phones.  Please.  I am sure the majority of smart phone users do not know how, or would be willing to do that to achieve the maximum potential from their phones.  Nor should they have to. This is Verizon's responsibility.  Verizon charges more for monthly service than any other carrier, charges more for phones than any other carrier, and has the worst support, despite having the highest profit.  You don't find that disgusting?  I surely do. 

You are right about the iPhone though.  Apple again, is brilliant to tell Verizon they can not touch their product.  Thus, the highest customer satisfaction rate of any phone they sell.  You'd think Verizon would learn, but again, they really don't care.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I am glad you have tried the iPhone and glad to hear you like your Nexus. I decided today to get up some of these threads butts today because I was really disappointed to see some many threads about updates that is seemed this forum is missing out on actual discussion worth reading like tips, tricks, work arounds, whatever. The truth of the matter is like you said most people don't root their phones well must people also don't read all the speculation and rumors surrounding updates. So to the average user Verizon communicating this  http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/samsung_galaxy_nexus.pdf

is good enough and doesn't need more discussion.

I only said you obviously talk to reps a lot because it takes a couple calls to get 1 replacement device so if you had 3 then you were probably on the phone or in store a lot. Calling 4 to 10 times is a lot in my book.

I did assume you dislike your Nexus because why else complain about updates unless there was something to dislike about the current version.

Other than that yes VZW might charge a hefty fee but in my case I've been with them for about 10 years. I have locked in unlimited data and unlimited hotsopt ( for now ) and since getting my Nexus I have not once had to call Verizon support for help. Partially thanks to Google's support forum and other sources. If you dig through my post you'll see the issues I've had. Basically I defend VZW because I tried Sprint and I have friends on Tmo and I think their networks suck worse. Except for the obvious fact that Google products rock on other networks. I mean the GSM Nexus has oem car and home docks in the Play Store. Now there's something to to be mad about LOL.

mykaelp thanks for that chat but I am signing off till the update hits my phone and there's something to talk about. Kidding kinda but good day.

0 Likes
fuzzogoblue

I received my Nexus 4.04 update this morning in the Washington DC area.  All is well.  Attached screen shot.

Screenshot_AndroidUpdate6-2-2012.jpg

0 Likes
DwadeCham

I received my update last night, June 1st around 11:00 p.m. in Northwest Arkansas.  I had been experiencing some random reboots but it wasn't a problem I had consistently so it really didn't bother me all that much.  The main problem I had was the one way audio followed by my phone dropping the call.  At times it was annoying and frustrating but rendered my phone in no way unusable.

The overall impression since the update is that everything runs a little smoother.  I haven't made any phone calls yet but hopefully there is some improvement to the radios but it seems as if that is more of a hardware problem.  As this was the only problem I was really having I won't know for a few days whether it helped out or not.

0 Likes
keefie9986

Got mine this AM, too. same info as above. Seems to work so far, though signal strength in my house is lousy, but that is old news. new radios didn't seem to help that.

0 Likes
chadbordes

Im still waiting Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Shinnen13
Contributor - Level 1

Technically, the Nexus line was not built to be primarily a developer phone. It was meant to be a continuation of the HTC G1 etc....and because of it being a stripped down phone with out the sense and blur type interfaces, it made for a good developer phone, just as the G1, G2, and so on. Most developers, only use phones for tests and testing. So, though, these phones have the "developer options" in the settings, that was not the primary focus for the intent of the phone.

0 Likes
locutus1701
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got my update about midnight (June2). Since then I have noticed that the volume has been greatly improved.  I have yet to test call quality, but I think that it should be better. If you take a look at some other posts, you can manually get the update without waiting for the OTA. That method is successful as far as I know if you don't want to wait.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/818737#818737

0 Likes
CustomerVZ

Still waiting in CA. CAN'T make phone calls or send texts. Phone gets hot searching for service. MOBILE NETWORK NOT AVAILABLE is my message from Verizon.

0 Likes