Re: Can we get any details on 4.0.4 Update for the Galaxy Nexus
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

By a method that can't be discussed on this community because it violates the Terms of Service for the forum.

Check out the other android based sites for those instructions.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
no786
Enthusiast - Level 2

seems to me you are being the child here.
i can not "sideload the upgrade".

also, the point is i should not have to load the update on my own.

0 Likes
Shinnen13
Contributor - Level 1

The point is....This is the Galaxy Nexus....WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO ROOT OR SIDELOAD THE UPDATE.... or wait for Verizon's standard operating procedures that they utilize on their other phones.

Part of the whole "Google Experience," is getting the updates when they are ready...Not when the service provider deems them ready. Especially after being on the Soak Test Team for the Droid X and Gingerbread, I am more than aware that what Verizon deems ready for testing is no where near credible and just raises more questions on how much of their tampering effected the stability...So, I can only guess at how far off the mark their ready for release is.

If Sprint has released phones with the update, as well as updated the phones that were already sold, I find it hard to believe that this update can be full of problems and bugs. Kind of sad, actually, that sprint released the GNEX around April 15th and their phones are already updated...Verizon released it back in Nov or December? and we still can't get an update or clear story? Even the tech that I spoke with yesterday about a different issue, had absolutely No Information about an update release time frame.

GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Is the only part about the "Google Experience" that any one cares about is the updates? I was and still am very happy with my Google Experience on my Galaxy Nexus. Google Experience to me means no overlay, no ( or in vzw's case less ) bloatware, and when I got my Galaxy Nexus in December it was the only ICS Android on VZW. I have been through a lot of VZW Androids and it's always the same story just breeze through other device forums on this very site. You'll probably see me crying all over the Thunderbolt section but I got that switched out for a Charge and my crying dropped to almost nothing. Now I'm here trolling for posts of happy people reporting they got updates and results of their updates. Could everyone take a little break and a deep breath then when you actually get the update post about it (good or bad).

CustomerVZ

Thats nice for you but my phone wont make phone calls or send text msgs....

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Based on this http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/samsung_galaxy_nexus.pdf the update is only going to " + Successfully send text messages without experiencing network connectivity issues " and " + Complete calls without experiencing choppy audio, clicking noises and one-way audio noises. ". So if your Galaxy Nexus WON'T make calls or send texts you NEED a new/different phone. From my experience if your phone doesn't work for you in an acceptable manor the way it is now it's probably the wrong device for you.

0 Likes
mykaelp
Enthusiast - Level 3

Of course not, because Verizon does not care about you or your concerns.  Even when Google leveled thinly veiled contempt for the treatment of the Nexus line, Verizon did not bother with a response.  Do you think they care about this?  Give me a break.  All other carries issue some kind of communication to their customers about software updates except...You guessed it, Verizon. It was the same with my Thunderbolt and it's nightmare litany of problems.  Not a word from the monkeys at Verizon. Endless delays in update, no communication, phone reps clueless, etc, etc. No word until it showed up through "leaked" websites, and then a glacially slow roll out. Here I am with the G. Nexus, and this is all so very familiar.  Over five months and nothing but crickets.  I can not wait for my contract to end.  Verizon's descent to the worst company in America is nearly complete.  It takes conscious effort to achieve that status. Congratulations.

www.thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/08/08/290205/verizon-strike-profits/?mobile=wp

Further proof that despite record profits, Verizon cares little about keeping you happy through software updates, reasonable rates, etc.  It only exists to make its CEO insanely wealthy and shareholders happy.  If it has to treat employees and customers like garbage along the way, so be it. 

Liskrig
Enthusiast - Level 2

*Starts slow clap*

You are my new favorite person

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

One thing that seems very evident in this forum is that most Galaxy Nexus owners on Verizon don't know that the Nexus line ( line meaning the Nexus One, S, 4g S, and Galaxy Nexus ) is or was intended to be geared toward Developers. Hence the extra settings in the menu ( compared to say a "Droid") and the ability to unlock the device easily ( superusers correct me if I'm wrong ). In my opinion it might even be why Verizon has kinda kept quite about their Nexus. We begged for a Nexus and Verizon gave it to us, I'm happy. It is obvious that Verizon pushes the Razr harder than the Nexus because it's more user friendly and packed with that bloaty stuff that a lot of people cry about but don't really realize they miss it until moving to a hack-able, fully customize-able, clean, sexy, all stock Android that's probably over their heads. For those of you with issues you need to just realize that it's not just the phone's fault or Verizon's ( ok maybe a little ) but it's partially yours. If it's not working for you and you're not willing to install some custom OS then cut your losses and let it go. I did it with my Thunderbolt and Verizon actually gave me the newer Droid Charge. If you're having problems call Verizon demand answers, make sure it's documented, escalate the issue to a manager and just keep on them. I got 3 or 4 TBolts before getting the Charge it took work but Verizon rectified the issue. One thing you must remember is those VZW reps are people like you and I they don't want to be yelled at or told what to do. Be calm play the game and you will come out happier. Then when your contract is up bail and buy an iPhone 😉

0 Likes
mykaelp
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know exactly the history of the Nexus line. Most smart phone users do not, hence the popularity of the iPhone. If Verizon/Google only intended the phone for developers, or aimed its main purpose for this, they should have limited its sales, marketed it as such, and warned customers of this on purchasing the phone.  Of course this did not happen, as this would be contraindicated in Verizon's profit scheme. 

The reason Verizon keeps "quiet" about their slow, half attempts at updates is, it costs them money.  Again, something Verizon is loathe to do.

I too was given a used Droid Charge after months of torture on 4 Thunderbolts.  Verizon of course, refused to reimburse me for all the accessories I bought, their highest profit margin items. The Charge was a cheap, slow, plasticy, often returned phone.  The very reason Verizon was all to happy to get rid of them by "upgrading" the masses of highly irritated Thunderbolt legions. 

I have called Verizon.  While sometimes friendly, they know less than I do, thus a completely useless waste of time.

0 Likes