Can I avoid this Jelly Bean system update?
mominga
Enthusiast - Level 1

I see so many issues being posted.  I am not a techie and cannot afford to spend hours fixing problems that come from a software update.  Can I just not do the update?  Will maybe the bugs be worked out and I can do it after that?  Thanks for any help you all can provide.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I avoid this Jelly Bean system update?
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

Well I pointed out the possible settings under android keyboard settings but the person who initiated the topic came up w/ the right setting....android keyboard settings->auto correction-> select OFF

View solution in original post

mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

Your phone will continuosly prompt you, and you can dismiss it, but it will pop up. And if you have any issues with your phone and call tech to troubleshoot, they will ask what version you are running and wont fix it unless you have the updated software. Having said that, I will tell you that with any software update, it is ALWAYS recommended that after its done, you HARD RESET your device to clear out any errors. Most people dont want to do this, but will instead come on here and complain about what their phone is doing/not doing, instead of following guidelines. I was having batt issues and bluetooth issues, after the update, and hard reset and restored my phone, and its fine. A few hiccups with apps,but they have to be updated to work correctly with jellybean. Dont be afraid to do the update. It makes the phone even better. I love it.

0 Likes
mominga
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much!  Can you walk me through what is a "hard reset"?

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

Its in settings - backup and reset - and just follow the prompts. Make sure your contacts and pictures are backed up, for info on how to do ths, search the forums. Youll be pleased.

0 Likes
mominga
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, sure enough.  I did the update.  Everything fine yesterday.  Today, the punctuation scroll bar under gmail messages is gone.  I love that scroll bar.  It still gives me word prompts but no punctuation choices.  Turning my phone off and on does not work.  I am nervous to do a hard reset because what if Backup Assistant doesn't work?  Plus I don't know how to save pix.  What to do?  Is Verizon going to do an update that fixes this issue with the Samsung Galaxy?

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

Fixes what issue? there is no issue. you have to hit the 123 button to pull up punctuation choices. Its always recommended to do hard reset after software update. You can log in to back up assistant online to verify your contacts, and search the forums on ways to back up your pictures.

0 Likes
mominga
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, there is an issue.  See the post from Ann154 etc. about the lost punctuation bar: "NO...it was on the bar where the autocorrect spelling words come up right above the touch screen keyboard and you do not have to shift any keys to use it...it is touch screen and it has ?  ! and some others and they are now gone and I have to shift for every punctuation and it ***** and the autocorrect doesn't auto correct...just gives suggestions which I have to touch to correct.  I type documents all day and this is just not going to work for me" That's exactly what's happened to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus which is only a few months old and has only had one app added to what it came with.

I know about selecting the 123 button but that's not what I'm referring to.  I need the autopunctuation choices that I had previously.  Unfortunately, turning the device on and off did not work for me. Still not seeing the lost punctuation bar. Cynindesign expresses the same fear I have about using a hard reset and what Backup Assistant will restore.  And I have searched forums as has been suggested twice and not found out how to back up things. As I said before, I not a techie, a smart professional with degrees and experience, but a neophyte when it comes to smartphones.  Can you give me the link to the instructions?

Do you work for Verizon?  Is there a way to have some kind of update or other fix to address these bugs with the Jelly Bean update?  Can I go to a Verizon store to get this fixed. Thanks.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

Well I pointed out the possible settings under android keyboard settings but the person who initiated the topic came up w/ the right setting....android keyboard settings->auto correction-> select OFF

mominga
Enthusiast - Level 1

That was it!  Thanks!  My 1:,' : are back!  The reason I didn't get what you all were saying at first was that I didn't realize I had to go to Settings->Language& input first to get to android keyboard settings->auto correction-> select OFF.  That's how untechie I am! 

Thanks so much.  I feel so much better.  Life is rational again.  I sensed that a hard reset was an awfully drastic solution for this type of issue!

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

mominga wrote:

Yes, there is an issue.  See the post from Ann154 etc. about the lost punctuation bar: "NO...it was on the bar where the autocorrect spelling words come up right above the touch screen keyboard and you do not have to shift any keys to use it...it is touch screen and it has ?  ! and some others and they are now gone and I have to shift for every punctuation and it ***** and the autocorrect doesn't auto correct...just gives suggestions which I have to touch to correct.  I type documents all day and this is just not going to work for me" That's exactly what's happened to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus which is only a few months old and has only had one app added to what it came with.

I know about selecting the 123 button but that's not what I'm referring to.  I need the autopunctuation choices that I had previously.  Unfortunately, turning the device on and off did not work for me. Still not seeing the lost punctuation bar. Cynindesign expresses the same fear I have about using a hard reset and what Backup Assistant will restore.  And I have searched forums as has been suggested twice and not found out how to back up things. As I said before, I not a techie, a smart professional with degrees and experience, but a neophyte when it comes to smartphones.  Can you give me the link to the instructions?

Do you work for Verizon?  Is there a way to have some kind of update or other fix to address these bugs with the Jelly Bean update?  Can I go to a Verizon store to get this fixed. Thanks.

Once again (and I see your keyboard "issue" has been resolved) a hard reset is in order. The store is not going to be as nice. They will reset it and you most likely will lose your pictures. You have back up assistant and google. your contacts will be fine. I do not work for verizon. And search is yoru friend. why should I search for you?

0 Likes