Can Fascinate be tethered?
ttmt

Verizon's comparison chart appears to indicate that tethering is not supported on a Fascinate (mobile broadband not supported).  Is that correct?  I understand that a Droid can be upgraded to support tethering.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Can Fascinate be tethered?
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It has the 2GB Mobile Hotspot feature for $20

0 Likes
ttmt

How does that work?  Does that mean the smart phone serves as a hotspot and you connect your pc to it wirelessly?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, you can tether up to 5 wifi-capable devices at the same time but it's limited to only 2GB/month which can go fairly fast if you're doing anything data intensive.

0 Likes
ttmt

Ah, I'm familiar with that.  Tried a hotspot device in our office once.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, are you happy with the Fascinate?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Love it.  Came from the original Droid and haven't looked back.  Screen is amazing, calls are clear, battery life is good and I've experienced no lag.    If Bing doesn't bother you and you can get around a couple of the other quirks (no notification led, laggy GPS for a lot of people, etc), it's a great phone.  I can't wait to see it once Froyo is released.

0 Likes
ttmt

Sounds good.  Have you ever used a Blackberry?  I'm on my fourth unit and it's very good.  I'm worried about switching over and having regrets.

You mentioned "no notification let."  What is that?  As for Bing, are you unable to set Google as your default search engine in the browser?  Does it allow you to use other browsers like Chrome?

How is this unit better than the Droid?

Thanks for all the input.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I had a Storm prior to the Droid and suported every Sprint Blackberry at work.  I really didn't have as many problems with the Storm as others have reported as I was always running leaked OS's or hybrids.  What did annoy me were the typical Blackberry OS problems (lag, spinning hour glass, 5min+ boot times, awful stock browser).  I've played around with the Torch from AT&T some and while the browser is better than the previous blackberry browser, it still isn't on par with the iPhone or Android browsers and the OS is cluttered making it a pain to use.  Email support for Gmail and Exchange are Push and offer a much better experience over a Blackberry with the standard BIS.  As far as the other email providers, RIM probably wins.  With that said, I honestly don't think I could ever go back to a blackberry after having the Droid and Fascinate. 

The little light that flashes on your blackberry when you get an email or text, the Fascinate (along with the other Galaxy S branded phones other than the Epic 4G) doesn't have it.  There's an app called NoLED in the market that displays a moving dot or icon on your screen when you receive an email, text, etc.  Some say they're having issues with they probably don't have it configured properly as mine works perfectly.

For Bing, the stock Android browser is locked to Bing for searches entered directly into the address bar.  You can always just bookmark google.com and enter searches there but I'd recommend one of the 3rd party browsers like Dolphin HD or Skyfire.  You CAN get rid of Bing all together, but that discussion would probably get deleted here.

Compared to the Droid, the only real advantage the Droid has is the physical keyboard but that's most likely a moot point with the 4" screen and Swype on the Fascinate.  I don't miss the keyboard and the screen is way ahead of the standard LCD on the Droid.  Hardware wise, the Droid is very much outdated.  The Fascinate is clocked almost twice as fast, has a lot more internal storage for apps (2GB) and more ram for running apps to reduce lag.

0 Likes
ttmt

Sure appreciate all the info.  It really is helpful.

Thanks so much.

0 Likes