Battery life on Nexus
jscrawley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had my Nexus for almost two months now and I absolutley love it. I'm curious what other people have been doing to improve their battery life. My battery life isn't bad, when I'm out and about I usually have a charger close by so I can charge it if needed. Trying to maximize the life of my battery is all, keeping GPS, bluetooth, display brightness down and turning 4g or all data off when I don't need it. Wondering what oher suggestions or tricks there are. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Battery life on Nexus
droidmaxx

I keep wi-fi on all the time, display is set to auto, bluetooth off, GPS off, static wallpaper. With modest usage throughout the day, I'm usually down to 15% when I plug it in on my nightstand at bedtime, roughly 16 hours of use.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I leave everything off. The biggest battery eater for me is the screen. I average 12-18 hours. Also if you have a lot of apps polling for data keeps your phone from sleeping when it should with poor coding(for example Words With Friends).

0 Likes
holmsc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see 8-24 hours depending on usage, and that usually means about 2-2.5 hours of screen on time (you can see how much screen on time you have in the battery stats).

has some great suggestions. When I first got the phone I was seeing pretty poor battery life, I tested out Juice Defender (free version) and it seemed to work great, almost doubling my battery life when I wasn't connected to WiFi. For some reason after I upgraded to the paid version, it seemed like it was hurting my battery life.

Of course if you like tinkering, you can always root and install a custom ROM + kernel, which can help push your battery life to the max. Generally you can't get more than a couple hours of screen on time, what you need to pay attention to is whether your battery is draining when the screen is off. You should see somewhere around 1% battery drain per hour with no usage, so leave your phone on overnight without charging to see if your battery is looking good or draining while idle.

0 Likes
jscrawley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for all of the responses, I noticed last night that with my phone idle, but everything turned off(even put the phone in airplane mode) I see my battery drain about 4-5% an hour. Do I just need to find out what else is draining the battery and fix the problem that way, or is there another solution I can use? Thanks

0 Likes
holmsc
Enthusiast - Level 2

4-5% per hour indicates that there is a problem. With WiFi connected, you should see drain of about 1% an hour when not using it, on 3g/4g maybe 2-3% per hour. My guess is that there is an issue with an app you have installed or Android itself. When I first got the phone I had terrible battery life but a factory reset seemed to help, and I've done other things since but the factory reset may be a good first step for you.

jscrawley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah I was afraid I might have to do a factory reset. Re-installing all the apps is always a pain. I'll try a few other things and see if things get any better. Thanks for all the help though

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Sounds like your phone isn't sleeping like it should. Did you update Google Maps? I had an initial problem with it. Once I opened it the problem stopped.

0 Likes
GregTal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I disable Google + (i never use it) and made sure I sign out of GTalk when not using it and I notice a tremendous battery life improvement ... 

0 Likes
TradJazzFan

My phone was dying about 4 PM, so I noticed that Exchange Services was consuming up 47% of my battery.  I then turned of syncing of the calendar, both email accounts, and deleted an American Airlines gate status checking app.  Now battery life is still above 66% at supper time.  I suggest you go to "settings battery" and see what is using your battery.

0 Likes