Any fixes for Wifi signal issues after Jellybean update?
Wanderingsteve
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi there!

My phone has remained locked and unrooted since I bought it the day it came out.

I received the OTA update of Android 4.1.1 Jellybean via Verizon on September 21st.

However, ever since the update, I have had issues with my wifi signal in areas I didn't have issues with before.

It's especially noticeable in my house, where it will actually toggle between wifi and 3G because it's losing the signal, even though I'm not very far from the router (and the router is working perfectly fine, and has not been moved).

I'm also having boot issues that I didn't have before; upon turning my phone on, sometimes it takes considerably longer to boot up than it should. It'll remain on the Google logo for quite some time, then eventually go to the Nexus logo, and then finally to my home screen.

Steps I have already taken to remedy the issues, without success:

- I've removed the battery, then placed it back in.

- I've deleted my primary wifi connection from my phone, then re-found it and put in the password.

- I went to my local Verizon store, which was of no help.

- I called up tech support, and although the person I spoke with logged the issue, he suggested doing a complete factory reset, which I did.

None of the above has helped.

Hardware info:

Baseband version: I515.09 V. FF02/ I515.FG02

Build Number: JRO03O

Kernel Version: 3.0.31-g396c4df

Android 4.1.1

Perhaps the radio needs a better update to work with Jellybean?

All I know is that, while I am happy to finally receive the latest version of Android (which is what this phone is meant for), clearly there are issues that need to be addressed.

Please let me know if there is a fix/if a fix is in the works.

Thank you!

Re: Any fixes for Wifi signal issues after Jellybean update?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Wanderingsteve,

I can imagine the trouble the experience of losing WiFi has caused. I deeply researched this case for you and found that Samsung has provided us details to try to fix and resolve. Their first suggestion is to turn off the Mobile Data and only have WiFi on and see if the connection stays available. They have tested this on their own products and found a more stable WiFi connection in this mode. They also suggest having the WiFi configuration match options from below:

Tested for below network security type:
1. Adding new network manually
2. WPA2 PSK
3. WEP
4. Open
5. WPA PSK

Also tested for below network mode:
1. b/g/n (WPA-PSK)
2. b only (WPA-PSK)
3. b/g (WPA-PSK)
4. g only (WPA-PSK)
5. b/g/n (WPA2-AES)

These have been tested on their end and have provided successful continuous browsing on WiFi. Please try these and keep us posted.

Thank you,
MariaC_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Rogue__Rebel

I am having similar Wi-Fi issues as Wanderingsteve.  Every 15 to 30 seconds the phone would lose Wi-Fi signal and try to switch to mobile data.  My router is set up as WPA2 PSK, and after turning mobile data off the phone loses Wi-Fi signal about once every minute.  While I admit this is better than what I had, it certainly is not enough to stream any Play Music or YouTube data.

If you hear anything more from Samsung please update thread, thank you.

- Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Android version 4.1.1

Baseband version I515.10 V.FF02 / I515.FG02

Kernel version 3.0.31-g396c4df

Message was edited by: <Edited for privacy> Added kernel version

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
n900mixalot
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem. I have to turn data off to use a WiFi connection?

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

I drop wifi 2 - 3 times a day at home. If I'm loading a webpage sometimes it just hangs up at mid load and I have to toggle off wifi to get the page reloaded. Then I turn it back on and it's fine for a while. I'm on Android 4.1.1.

0 Likes
n900mixalot
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you try a static IP address? It has worked for me.

0 Likes
guitarguy1953

How do you access the static IP address? I have seen it one time and can't remember how to find it.

0 Likes
guitarguy1953

I can't connect to my WiFi now. It gives me a message "avoided poor internet connection", even though the same phone said the signal was "Good". It does this whether or not the 4 G network is disabled. I use WEP 128 bit encryption.> Our Laptops all pick up the signal at the other end of the house and connect to the Internet. My phone won;t even connect in the same roon the router is in. Any more ideas?

0 Likes
allipat

Guitarguy - Have you tried turning the modem off and back on again.  Then trying to connect.

0 Likes
prn2000

I am having the same issues with my Motorola Droid RAZR.  I received the update several weeks ago and the WiFi hasn't worked since.  Did you ever get an answer?  I tried contacting Verizon and they pointed the finger at Motorola.

0 Likes