Re: 4G connection problems (hardware issue?)
Shaun330

Thanks for the info. So I was right and every Lte phone has this problem?

0 Likes
mr_gadget

Well, I think the RAZR is just as capable, but it does not have the same

display. It does, however, have a superior radio so you will have few

problems, if any, getting and keeping calls. I do like the Nexus for

several reasons, but I too may have to switch to a RAZR due to the poor

call quality of the Nexus. My wife uses the RAZR and it is a very solid,

consistent device.

0 Likes
Poozler
Enthusiast - Level 2

thats my belief.

0 Likes
BadWolf03
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded to a RAZR at the end of last year.  I asked the VW manager if any newer smartphones were scheduled in the next couple of months (thinking about how the Bionic dropped in value by half on eBay the moment the RAZR came out).  The manager told me that nothing was scheduled (though a few days after getting the RAZR, I was talking with an asst mgr in the same store and he told me they had been told two weeks before I upgraded that the MAXX was coming out (Grrrrrr....).  I was also told the that RAZR was the ONLY phone outside of the Nexus that Verizon was upgrading to ICS, and the RAZR's upgrade was scheduled for mid-January (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...).  Then I was told end of first quarter.  Then April 4th.  Then end of second quarter at the latest.  Now, I go to Motorola's website and find out that NONE of the Verizon Droids have a schedule date for ICS.  In fact, Motorola lists ALL of its USA phones as currently being in Phase 1 of 4.  From their website:

PHASE 1 – EVALUATION & PLANNING: During this phase, we evaluate the benefits, technical issues and user experience of an upgrade. Generally, we are not able to provide release dates in this stage. There are also some cases in which we can state that an upgrade will happen but are not able to provide a release date. Please note that some products that enter the Evaluation and Planning phase may not complete the upgrade cycle. [my emphasis].

Meanwhile, the same chart shows that the RAZR with ICS is currently being rolled out in Q2 in China, Canada, Japan, Korea, Asia Pacific, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Africa), and LATAM (Latin America).  In fact, the ONLY Droids that are not scheduled for Q2 release of ICS are the American ones available through VerizonWireless.  All Motorola lists about their release dates is:

Further details to follow.

Ironically, Google is now planning to roll out at least five pure Google Android 5.0 (JellyBean) phones by Thanksgiving - totally unlocked and based on GSM/HSPA+ and will be contract-free. They will be available ONLY through a new version of the Google Store. 

They expect to sell for not a heckuva lot more than the locked/2-year contract bloatmobiles VW is foisting off on us ($150 to $300 more???), but will be able to work with a variety of carriers via a SIM card (though VW, since it is not GSM-based, will not be one of them).  The official and unofficial word on the newest Google Nexus models is that they will have at least five different "lead developers," and some models will come (at least outside of the US) with quad-core processors, 2GB RAM, and either 32GB on-board with an optional 32GB microSD, and an upgraded  version with 64GB on-board with the option to use a 64B microSD, for a whopping 128GB! 

Ironic, isn't it that T-Mobile, AT&T, all of the rest of the foreign GSM systems, and other US vendors will be running JellyBean Android 5.0 well before us VW Droid owners will still be griping and moaning about when we are getting ICS.

After having 2 VW mobile phones ever since the original hard-mounted car phones, my wife and I will be gone faster than an egg through a loose goose when the new Google Nexus phones and tablets are available (if they even halfway live up to their official and leaked promises).  I even know of one company that is willing to give up to a $350 discount in rates per line to pay off VW's early termination penalty.

0 Likes
BadWolf03
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW, for those of you upset about your Nexus rebooting, my RAZR constantly does the same thing.  It goes into periodic reboot cycles, often rebooting a dozen times before settling down -  especially if I let the battery run below 20% (or completely out) before recharging.  Each time, it loses some of its configuration and won't load some of the apps on the home page. It sometimes reboots again before it is finished booting, or before I can even unlock it or activate the phone.  Once, I turned power completely off and put it on the desk, hoping to break a cycle.  Ten minutes later, I hear this croak "Drrroooiiiddd..."  Sure enough, it rebooted itself from a total power-off state.  Spooky.

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

It shouldn't be rebooting on it's own unless you downloaded an app that isn't playing well with your software. It shouldn't be rebooting a dozen times before it settles down. Something is wrong. I would call Verizon and speak to a Level 2 tech about it.

0 Likes
Shaun330

I traded mines in for a Razr last week. I love my RAZR!! no connection problems at all!!!!

0 Likes
claamart

I got a Galaxy Nexus 13 days ago - was planning to get a Razr like my son's but was awed by the screen resolution and better color on GN.  BUT right away encountered the connection problems.  Went back after 7 days to get a new phone, in case it was that specific phone.  Slightly better for awhile, but then bad again.  Have been comparing dbm with my son's Razr in the same spots and both his dbm's and battery usage are consistently much better.  He hasn't had any connection problems in our house and I ALWAYS do.  Was hoping that there would be a software fix but after reading all of this I am going back tomorrow (last day to do so) to get something else.  I can't believe Verizon is still selling this so-called "phone" as if it is a good thing for their reputation.

0 Likes