Re: 4.05 update
Tidbits
Legend

Bartley wrote:

And it has been treated as such. The Nexus was never a carrier release phone, Nexus S had to go through the process, and Galaxy Nexus on Verizon has to go through that process. GSM version in the US is not a carrier phone. Besides as I've stated, they never promised you the Tidbits that you keep rambling on about. You assumed that much. I've understood it as them writing the code and updating from their servers. You didn't? Too bad.

Then if it was treated as such then why do we not have the update?  EXACTLY because it is NOT treated the same way...  Again as I said before just by having a "approval" process changes how things are done, and therefore ARE different.

For everyone that doesn't know, Google builds the system image, boot image, recovery image from their source code. Samsung and Verizon build the radio image. There are several files that need change because of the CDMA network. Google doesn't have the licenses to distribute these files. They must come from Samsung and Verizon. When Google builds a version of Android and tests it, the update is ready as far as they're concerned. Google gives the source code to Verizon and Samsung to make required changes to allow the Nexus to work on a CDMA network. During this period, Verizon quality checks the changes they've made, and their testing according to them is very thorough. When finished, they give the green light for the update to be distributed by Google's servers. So Verizon is apart of the update process, and can be a stalling factor though the source code is written and comes from Google servers.

Read above it still fits the same just by a simple approval process they are different.

It is a childish game of "which company is doing what their supposed to do." When neither is. And what do your questions have to do with what I stated? They are different builds but same versions. And the 4.0.4 version was released for all Galaxy Nexus phones besides Verizon. And I posted that before even hearing about recent news about people getting the 4.0.4. Dude, you introduce a lot of stuff into a conversation that has nothing to do with what's being discussed. Google and Verizon have been playing childish games since the announcement of the Galaxy Nexus.

See above and explain how having an approval process doesn't change how something is done.  They are different from the get go.

Again, do your homework. I'm glad you know the difference between the common cold and the flu, but have you ever heard of a misdiagnosis. There were countless people at the release of 4.0.2 pointing at WIFI and BT being the source of the problem. There wasn't just one bug with 4.0.2. Everyone's problem/ problems weren't the same. Did you know that there were different strains of flu?

Yah and if they looked at the logcat they'd find out it WAS NOT wifi or bt.  People giving misinformation, and some people crying about problems to get away from the device just because they found out the approval process is different.  They try and find problems and complain about their device having those problems.  Make multiple accounts to make it sound bigger than it really is.  Ever see those 5-6 posts from new users exactly 6 minutes on average apart on a lot of these threads?

AndI don't know what world you're in now buddy, but people will complain about anything over the internet. You think they're going hold in a major complaint about a bug on their phone because they violated their warranty? And your argument against me now is that most people reporting longer battery times doesn't account for everyone on the internet? Well, those who do have that problem doesn't account for everyone either. That's what I was trying to point out to you. I've heard more good than bad, and I don't believe you or anyone else claiming that someone's going to have a major problem on their mobile phone and shut up about it. It's their mobile phone dude. They're going to try and find someone to help them fix it.

That's the WHOLE point i said earlier...  It's probably around 2 pages back and you keep saying "everyone" you know or ran into had no trouble at all when a lot of people have complained in the proper channels to get them fixed.  Most people don't even notice the bugs.

Anyway I am done with this.  We'll be back at this again when they release the update and they didn't fix anything...

0 Likes
prashants17
Enthusiast - Level 3

rather surprising to hear again and again that Verizon is tests its phone vigorously and that is the reason for the 4.05, if the testing process is so thorough how come w have piece of junk on our hands...

Tidbits
Legend

real world testing is a lot different than a control state testing.

0 Likes
danbrown
Contributor - Level 1

Aparently 4.0.4 is rolling out slowly:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/01/one-lucky-dl-reader-receives-anroid-4-0-4-imm76k-update-on-veri...

here's hoping that the updated radios will fix our problems... I'll believe it when I see it.    

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

heh, if that's the case, they either need to have some people testing it in the field or they need to release more frequent (but optional) updates with the understanding that one fix could result in messing something else up (maybe a beta release program). 

I think it's safe to say that if it takes THIS long and it generally doesn't fix everything (and occasionally makes things worse), then something is wrong with their model. 

Bartley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Then if it was treated as such then why do we not have the update?  EXACTLY because it is NOT treated the same way...  Again as I said before just by having a "approval" process changes how things are done, and therefore ARE different.

Again, the reason is Verizon.

Read above it still fits the same just by a simple approval process they are different.

Nope, they still handle the updates the same way.

See above and explain how having an approval process doesn't change how something is done.  They are different from the get go.

It was there from the get go on carrier releases.

Yah and if they looked at the logcat they'd find out it WAS NOT wifi or bt.  People giving misinformation, and some people crying about problems to get away from the device just because they found out the approval process is different.  They try and find problems and complain about their device having those problems.  Make multiple accounts to make it sound bigger than it really is.  Ever see those 5-6 posts from new users exactly 6 minutes on average apart on a lot of these threads?

There are plenty of people that look at the logcat besides you buddy. And because you didn't catch it, doesn't mean people were giving misinformation. I'm not talking about people who wouldn't know what logcat is.

That's the WHOLE point i said earlier...  It's probably around 2 pages back and you keep saying "everyone" you know or ran into had no trouble at all when a lot of people have complained in the proper channels to get them fixed.  Most people don't even notice the bugs.

Read 2 pages back, I didn't say everyone. I said most people have been praising the update. There you go again putting your own Tidbits into something that wasn't there. And I was pointing that out to say that, not everyone was complaining about the release or were having problems. They've in fact reported a longer battery life, and better connections. You chalked it up to "fanboyism." But, I tend to believe that no one's going to keep their mouths shut about a major bug on their mobile phone.

Anyway I am done with this.  We'll be back at this again when they release the update and they didn't fix anything...

Glad your finished. Yeah, we'll be back at it again when they fixed some things, but not everything. But guess, some of the things fixed are alright for some people.

0 Likes
fastearle86
Enthusiast - Level 3

LOL really? how so? So they don't...call people? LMAO I know there is more to it but there is no excuse. there has been more than enough time. I'm glad i got rid of that brick and now have a real phone that works quite well.

You should be named disinformation or...cloud the issue...or something like that...

0 Likes
fastearle86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow, my receipt didn't look anything like that...i hear you on the composure though! The Razr isn't a down grade really. Simply because it works! Maybe i'm a simpleton but i'm damn happy i can make phone calls that last longer than two minutes! Besides, when the ICS comes out for the Maxx, i would think that most of the serious bugs would be worked out but i would definately be weary anyway. Great post though!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

fastearle86 wrote:

LOL really? how so? So they don't...call people? LMAO I know there is more to it but there is no excuse. there has been more than enough time. I'm glad i got rid of that brick and now have a real phone that works quite well.

You should be named disinformation or...cloud the issue...or something like that...

Ask Bartly and he'll agree with me if he's in the field.  There is only so much you can cover on controlled testing.

Sure I could call you 100/100 times using the same tower, but more than likely a different tower 2,000 miles away with 500 people on that tower could give a different result.  That doesn't include hardware differences between towers. 

0 Likes
Bartley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ask Bartly and he'll agree with me if he's in the field.  There is only so much you can cover on controlled testing.

Sure I could call you 100/100 times using the same tower, but more than likely a different tower 2,000 miles away with 500 people on that tower could give a different result.  That doesn't include hardware differences between towers.

Yup, I totally agree.  That's the nature of controlled testing. Unfortunately, you just can't cover every factor that comes into play in the real world like what Tidbits has mentioned with towers or with the end user's habits playing probably the biggest part in the real world equation. People put their mobile smartphones (still a delicate electronic device) under some strenuous conditions, more so than any test that could be done.

And though I've disagreed with Tidbits on some things, I think he shares a lot of great information and valid points on here that shouldn't be ignored.