Re: 4.05 update
codemunky

My power button became buggy, where sometimes it would not work.  So I tried to get a replacement through warranty, and the one they sent me had issues with its Bluetooth.  I returned the replacement phone they sent me and sent my original unit to Samsung, where they repaired it under warranty.  I had to use my backup phone though.

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

I think it sucks when you have to send your phone in for repair....and have to use an old phone as a back up. They should just exchange it out until you get a good one.

0 Likes
ShellyGal
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’m relief and happy, but this is not after being completely
miserable and being abused by some of the Verizon’s agents. (There are
exceptions) After going thru 3 different Fake Galaxy Nexus I was able to
replace it with a Razr Maxx that works wonders compared with the Fake Galaxy
Nexus.

The main issues were: Intermittent 4G connection (for the
most part lost) No phone service also very intermittent.

In the course of a month dealing with the before mentioned
FAKE NEXUS this is what I learned. (http://androidandme.com/2012/04/smartphones-2/my-fake-verizon-galaxy-nexus-randomly-reboots-every-da...)

1 Tech Support at Verizon has being trained to denied,
denied and denied. I talked for hours with them and many of them, and the
common factor was Denial.

2 They would repeat the following statements

I have one and never had any problem

• This is the first time I heard somebody haves a
    problem with the nexus
  • Do a Master Reset (tons of times)

3 Google does not support the Fake Galaxy Nexus. They will
try to help you but they’ll say they only support the unlocked version

4 Google already pushed the latest updates to The Nexus
(e.g. spring, unlocked version…) But not to the Verizon. Google tech support claims
that is on Verizon’s hands. Go figure

http://drippler.com/samsung/galaxy_nexus#!283355

5 The only way to can try to fix the issues with the Fake
Galaxy Nexus is to root the device. Not recommended if you are faint of heart,
don’t know what you are doing and don’t want to loose warranty.

My recommendations are:

1. DITCH THE DAMN FAKE NEXUS unless you are a masochist.
    How you do it? Be creative
  2. Wait for the updates; some say is coming May 5th.
    I’m very skeptic but who knows. Different sources different rumors.  

My conclusion:

Google, Samsung and Verizon are defending the Brand at all

costs. They all have invested TONS of money on the brand.

How can you confirm the updates are not coming from Google: http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-check-your-GSM-Galaxy-Nexus-version-and-get-updates-direct-fro...

The Fake Nexus is the Ford Pinto or 2011

Good luck all of you with your FAKE GALAXY NEXUS

DID YOU KNOW THAT THE FAKE NEXUS WAS REMOVED FROM THE OPEN
SOURCE PROJECT

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/03/verizon-galaxy-nexus-removed-from-google-support-pages-over-cdma/

0 Likes
Bartley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Again, everyone should know that AOSP has nothing to do with official updates to your Nexus. AOSP deals with customized builds of the OS.

If you want an update, you should be contacting Verizon. Google has released an official update in the 4.0.4 build. It has shown up on the GSM versions and now CDMA version of Sprint's. Why would Google push out an update to them and not Verizon? Just doesn't make sense. Carriers have final say on OTA, and you should be aware that Verizon most likely has had this build but hasn't released it.

Even Android engineers, such as Jean-Baptiste Queru, do not understand it. He said that the part of this all that “blows” his mind, is the fact that “some variants of the Google-engineered flagship devices” (read: Nexus devices) still have not received ICS or are stuck on older versions “because of delays introduced by operator approvals.” Can you guess who he is talking about?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Dude carriers DON'T have final say like you think. The Nexus Line is DIFFERENT than your run of the mill cell phone. Since the Nexus One every update runs off their update server(where the 4.0.4 leak was found and later removed by Google). If they ran off Verizon FOTA then they would have the final say. I wasn't even talking about AOSP. You currently are talking about Google releasing 4.0.4 code...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I employ you to check Google bug pages before claiming 4.0.4 is ready and give it some short time and you may find the same bugs in Sprint user forums found in Google bug pages about the 4.0.4 leak... especially the sleep bug.

0 Likes
Bartley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Tidbits,

Well according to Google that is the case. I think I'm more inclined to think the people who work for them know how this works more than you do since you say that you do not work for either. If you read what I just posted:

"Jean-Baptiste Queru said that the part of this all that “blows” his mind, is the fact that “some variants of the Google-engineered flagship devices” (read: Nexus devices) still have not received ICS or are stuck on older versions “because of delays introduced by operator approvals.” Can you guess who he is talking about?"

There is only one Nexus left that doesn't have an update so he could only be speaking of it. As to how Nexus works, it has already been established for quite sometime, if you did your homework, that though the updates are pushed from Google servers, those builds would need carrier approval first.

And dude, I wasn't even speaking to you about AOSP in my last post. I was speaking in general after seeing a recent post mentioning this Nexus being dropped from AOSP was the reason the Verizon Nexus wasn't getting an official update. Don't take it personal dude. Not every post is directed at you.

0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I read these reports of massive problems and I'm left bewildered.  We've had our G-Nexus phones since mere days after introduction, and I haven't experienced any of the reported problems.

That being said, I am disappointed with the lack of updates, especially with the repeated rumors of their imminent arrival.

0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, the updates may come from Google, but they have to pass Verizon's QC tests before they have the go ahead to send them OTA.  Verizon controls access to the devices on their network, after all.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Bartley wrote:

Hey Tidbits,

Well according to Google that is the case. I think I'm more inclined to think the people who work for them know how this works more than you do since you say that you do not work for either. If you read what I just posted:

"Jean-Baptiste Queru said that the part of this all that “blows” his mind, is the fact that “some variants of the Google-engineered flagship devices” (read: Nexus devices) still have not received ICS or are stuck on older versions “because of delays introduced by operator approvals.” Can you guess who he is talking about?"

Yes I have read that, and it's a cop out.  Sorry there is NO way for Verizon to BLOCK updates to their devices.  If they wanted it out they can push it out and Verizon can't block them as they use their own servers, and not Verizon servers.  If they truly claimed updates come from them then they could push it.  If they didn't have control like they claimed from before the device came out then Google lied, and went against their "Do no evil" policy.

There is only one Nexus left that doesn't have an update so he could only be speaking of it. As to how Nexus works, it has already been established for quite sometime, if you did your homework, that though the updates are pushed from Google servers, those builds would need carrier approval first.

Reports show otherwise that 4.0.4 update causes problems and are not fixed.  There are already reports of connection problems as well as sleep bug, and a few others on Google bug pages and are marked low priority. 

And dude, I wasn't even speaking to you about AOSP in my last post. I was speaking in general after seeing a recent post mentioning this Nexus being dropped from AOSP was the reason the Verizon Nexus wasn't getting an official update. Don't take it personal dude. Not every post is directed at you.

Neither am I.  I am pointing out  JBQ also stated they do not have the licensing to distribute the cdma code(which belongs to Qualcomm), and Sprint nor Verizon has no other license than to use it just as much Google has.  Qualcomm is so protective of their CDMA code that Meego, Linux, Symbian has trouble with their openness as well.  Verizon is taking the heat for it when in fact they have no control of that.  I only brought up the fact that someone mentioned it and I never said it was being delayed because of it.  I was explaining why it was dropped, and Google stated they'll still update the device like they would their other Nexus Devices.

0 Likes