Re: 2.2 update?
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

can't wait to read all the complaints after the update, lol, just like someone said elsewhere.  Can't live with 'em; can'tt live w/o 'em. 

0 Likes
zonk

Samsung Denies Charging Carriers for Android Updates, Teases Galaxy S Replacement

Responds to allegations with another "promise" that it "hopes to have more details soon"

Samsung needs to figure out its Froyo update schedule for the Galaxy S -- fast.

We reported last week that Samsung was withholding the next Android OS update (2.2) for T-Mobile's Galaxy S variant, the Vibrant, in order to boost sales of the upcoming Vibrant 4G.

There have been a number of developments in this story since then, including a #NeverAgain Twitter hashtag aimed at Samsung that still continues to be popular as of this writing; and a class-action lawsuit filed against the handset manufacturer and T-Mobile, claiming deceptive trade practices.

An excerpt from an XDADevelopers post by the gentleman filing the lawsuit:

they have continuously lied to us about the hardware,
and software reliability of this phone,
they promised us updates (to 2.2! Not the functionally dead JI6 2.1!)
over and over,
NOW they plan to release NEW galaxies
without updating the old ones they currently have

Samsung had this to say, in a response to CNET :

Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience. Due to the complexity and unique functionality of each Galaxy S device, we are performing additional testing and are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners, including the Samsung Vibrant, as soon as possible.

Then, to add fuel to the fire, another post on XDADevelopers -- this time by a user named The.Samsung.Secret -- claimed the delay was caused because Samsung wanted to charge carriers for Android updates on the grounds that they added features to devices. Yesterday, Lifehacker and others picked up the post and spread it as fact.

Finally, last night  PhoneScoop received an e-mail from Samsung Mobile disputing this claim. "No," read the e-mail, "Samsung is not charging carriers for Froyo updates to Galaxy S. We hope to have more detail on status shortly. Promise!"

At this point, Samsung -- at the very least -- has a public relations fiasco on its hands. Its lack of transparency with regard to software updates -- in addition to it breaking previous promises numerous times (we're talking all the way back to the Behold II) -- has damaged the company's credibility. This may have little affect on the average consumer, but developers, the media, and critical early-adopters have certainly taken notice. Whatever its reasons for delaying, Samsung is going to have to work extra hard to regain the trust of these three key communities if it plans to make its next venture anywhere near as successful as the Galaxy S line.

Perhaps that's why Samsung has already begun to tease its Galaxy S replacement (which, in itself, is sure to make a number of Galaxy users all the more upset). The Samsung Unpacked website bears the words, "Feb 13th, Something big is coming. Join us to discover the next evolution in Samsung Mobile." The date and location (Barcelona) reference the 2011 Mobile World Conference. The "next evolution," however, refers to a new device that will replace the Galaxy S -- not an update to the latest Android OS, as many would like. The graphic on the site shows the Galaxy S on the left, with a phone-shaped box on the right bearing the words, "EVOLUTION is FATE." That sounds to us like, "Your Galaxy S will soon be obsolete, anyway."

steveanderson13 wrote:

can't wait to read all the complaints after the update, lol, just like someone said elsewhere.  Can't live with 'em; can'tt live w/o 'em. 

0 Likes
Shinebox
Enthusiast - Level 3

Provided that Samsung does deliver tomorrow, T Mobile will be the first major US carrier to update a Galaxy S device beating Verizon, AT&T and Sprint to the punch. Verizon is going to have to come up with a plan and/or response very soon.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

looks like sprint is reaching out.  Now where's Verizon

http://anniemiz.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/13/where_r_caek_dammit.jpg

Another Sprint statement on Froyo for the Samsung Epic 4G Posted on Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 by Phil Nickinson Sprint's followed up on its blog after a couple of Tweets this afternoon regarding getting the Epic 4G updated to Froyo. Here goes: Epic 4G users: We want to assure you that Froyo for the Epic 4G is still in the works. Sprint works very closely with our manufacturing partners to ensure that we deliver the best possible customer experience on our wireless devices. We approve the release of software updates when a new software version provided by the manufacturer can bring a better overall customer experience on the device. It is our intention to bring these updates to our customers as quickly as possible but only after they meet our rigorous testing criteria. We can't provide any guidance on an exact or estimated release date at this time, but please know we are working to get Froyo out for the Epic as quickly as possible. Here's to Sprint for offering a little more transparency. Anybody heard from Verizon and AT&T?

0 Likes
yoworm

In Samsungs defense I read on another forum that Samsung released the FROYO update to T-Mobile in Late November and stated that Christmas and new phones were the reason the update was not pushed to the phones.  I wonder how long Big Red has been sitting on their hands with the Froyo update.

Once again Sprint has thought about their customers and have at least acknowledge that they are aware that they are behind but are working on it.  Has anyone heard from verizon, or are they too busy with LTE and iphone to work on our froyo update.

Sure would be nice for a verizon rep to man up like sprint and admit they are behind and acknowledge they are working on this issue.  Maybe even give us a release date, lol that would be too much like customer service.  I would like to think the law suit and negative business comments about the companies have helped push this along but I doubt it.  Here is to hoping that Verizon customers are rewarded with an update to Froyo before 2012.

0 Likes
fishmstr

I really am sick and tired of VZW's lack of customer care.  When you ask them about the update you get a **bleep** canned response. I may be stuck in a contract with VZW for 19 more months but when it is time to renew I will have to seriously consider TMobile.  It appears they care about their customers a lot more than Verizon.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Hi fishmstr,

I saw the same post in the other thread, so I only posted a response there. Hope everyone will have some relief soon.

0 Likes
bass9510

I work for at a large corporation, UTC that gives me a discount for using Verizon.  I like the Fascinate and tolerate most of the bugs but not having 2.2 with flash is a major pain in the neck. My wife got the X and I wish to God that I would have.  I am so limited with not having flash on this phone because so much of the web has flash.  I can not believe how they promise 2.2 for us and then just leave us to dry. I am really thinking about sending out a company wide Notification about Samsung and Verizon.  People need to know about how little they care about customer support. Please, please do not get this phone or use Verizon.

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

who are "they"? you realize that nowhere in the legally binding contract you signed does it say you will get froyo, right? even if you don't count the contract not saying it, nowhere did verizon even say you would have froyo. verizon sales people said you would have froyo. well, they lied. when I bought my malibu, the sales person lied and told me I would get 34MPG. they lied. so, should I sue the dealership that sold the car to me? no!! this is how ridiculous all this talk about suing verizon is.

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

M91-30. I have to disagree with you. When you bought your car the sticker on the car (if it was new) should have given you city/highway millage and then average one. The test that car manufactures do also not perfect that is why millage testing procedures were revived. So you should have read those number and not rely on sale men. But beside car subject...

In my particular case, promises of "...Froyo is coming up any day" were coming from different source within Verizon corporate stores from salesmen, floor manager, various level of tech support and their supervisors, as well as Best Buy sales reps. Was that a deliberate corporate bullsh...t or just a wishful thinking within a Verizon is not for me to decide but the fact remains.

Froyo was used as a "bait" in too many sales in case of Fascinate. This form of sale and prevention of cancelling the contract within 30 days trial period  is a form of a fraud in which Verizon was putting forth the fraud lures in customers by advertising a product's feature, then reveals to customers that the advertised feature is not and will not available.

In the past, courts have held that the purveyor using a bait-and-switch operation may be subject to a lawsuit by customers for false advertising. There are also Federal Trade Commission laws (16 CFR PART 238).

Whoever is interested may read full definition of bait-and-switch laws following the link below.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/baitads-gd.htm

I was holding back for too long trying to defend Verizon and their tactics. But as Verizon is simply ignores its customers, gloves come off and the fight gets dirty. 

0 Likes