Re: 2.2 update?
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

System updates are very complex and take a lot of  time to develop.  As system updates come from the manufacturers, there is often no timetable for their release or information the improvements the updates will offer.  With that being the case, there is limited information about system updates and their release, as there can not be a date set in stone for a release of something  that must be developed, tested, and optimized. 

0 Likes
unixguy65

A remedy to system updates would be to release the phone functions as soon as they are available, and release the vendor specific apps later when they get incorporated and tested.  I do not care for the vcast this or the vcast that.  they do not add value for most customers, just additional revenue for verizon.  So I hate the thought that a phone upgrade is being held back because of carrier specific baggage.

0 Likes
_Scott_S_

So the current phase of the update is somewhere between Samsung thinking about developing it, and Verizon pushing it. Thanks for the extra information. So we can expect it to drop any time between now and never?

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

unixguy65 wrote:

A remedy to system updates would be to release the phone functions as soon as they are available, and release the vendor specific apps later when they get incorporated and tested.  I do not care for the vcast this or the vcast that.  they do not add value for most customers, just additional revenue for verizon.  So I hate the thought that a phone upgrade is being held back because of carrier specific baggage.

samsung can only release froyo once it's been completely coded. it's not like they can progressively update the phone to froyo.  not only this, but verizon has to put it's code in there, whether you like it or not. verizon has to code in it's stuff. I'm not sure what all that involves, but I assure you things like adding shortcuts (remember, the actual programs aren't installed) to vcast, ect... is as simple as copy, paste. once again, verizon cannot release an update until it's fully coded, I imagine this involves any network based code, asevery network is unique.

what you suggest would result in a PDA, not a smart phone. do you really need to have froyo so badly that you would want froyo, but no working 3G or phone service?

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Android10 wrote:

System updates are very complex and take a lot of  time to develop.  As system updates come from the manufacturers, there is often no timetable for their release or information the improvements the updates will offer.  With that being the case, there is limited information about system updates and their release, as there can not be a date set in stone for a release of something  that must be developed, tested, and optimized. 

Sounds like a nice answer but does little to explain why the U.S. carriers are dragging their feet putting it out when it seems to be out everywhere else.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Samsung finalized the code last October and announced the following in a press release

The Android 2.2 software is being fully tested with UK operators and the upgrade will be available in the UK from early November. We expect all operator versions of the software to be fully tested and downloadable by the end of November.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/samsung-comes-clean-with-galaxy-s-froyo-upgrade-dates-all-carri/

That caused a lot of confusion since the press took it to mean EVERYWHERE and ran with it when in reality, Samsung apparently just meant the UK and other European countries. Fast forward a few months and pretty much everywhere (including Canada) has Froyo.  T-Mobile just made the update available through Kies (doesn't work with the Fascinate) but hasn't started OTA yet.  One would think that means the US carriers are slack, right? Possible, but Verizon is ranked 1st in updating their Android phones when said phone isn't manufactured by a company that begins with 'S'.  Do the US carriers hate Samsung?  Does Samsung hate the US? Who knows, but Samsung should probably check out Sony Ericsson's most recent press release about customer satisfaction and how important it is to keep up with the latest OS releases.

0 Likes
scanrman

I'm growing restless with the lack of support from Verizon and Samsung. Frankly I don't care who fixes the usb connection problem and the other issues the phone has (capitalization of the first 2 characters of a message intermittently, pop3 email sync drop outs), not to mention the Android 2.2 update that would enable the car cradle media output and Flash Player. Imagine what would happen if a Windows update came out that completely disabled our computers wifi or display? Would Microsoft sit idly by until their programmers "got around to it" ? That's what we as Verizon customers are feeling...  we're being put on the back burner until either we fade away or upgrade to something or someone else.

Here's an idea, Verizon.... admit the Fascinate has issues, give us a choice for free.... allow us to change to a new phone for free without a financial penalty. Your sales persons pushed and pushed the Fascinate on us.... I wanted the Droid X but since it was not available in-store, your sales guy "sold me" on the Fascinate. Now months later, the phone lacks support from Verizon and Samsung. I've been a Verizon user for over 12 years and I expected much more from both companies.

Would we accept the new iPhone if we couldn't sync it to iTunes because the usb connection didn't work?

Get your heads out of the sand and fix the Fascinate's problems

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

I'm growing restless of the lack of understanding from customers., not realizing all smart phones have their issues. actually, from having had other smart phones, having talked to others, and having read other sections on here, I can tell you our issues are few and far between compared to others. not only that, but updates always have a chance of causing issues in a minority percentage of devices. which is what happened here.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

I'm growing restless seeing a problem posted in a new thread, solutions or improvements offered by other users and then confirmed by even more users; then the original poster doesn't read the solution/improvement offered by others and then proceeds to **bleep** elsewhere about the problem being ignored.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SFObrien wrote:

Android10 wrote:

Sounds like a nice answer but does little to explain why the U.S. carriers are dragging their feet putting it out when it seems to be out everywhere else.

You will see this quite a lot from the VZW employees that post here.  Usually their posts doing nothing more then act like salt on an open wound.  As another person stated, the code was finalized a few months ago.  What you don't hear from these employees is that the usual cause (not always) for more delays is the bloatware and such that the carriers want to put on and the customizations they want done.

It is very true, you're going to run into problems with every new smartphone.  However, it gets hard to digest when your carrier is falling so far behind the others in terms of the updates on a particular line.  I just wish and we can all hope that they step up their game a little.  In the meantime, just be vocal and make sure you voice your dissatisfaction as its the only thing you can do right now.

0 Likes