2.2 safe mode ROFL
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Awesome my phone did a funny screen so I unplugged it and removed the battery since the phone had a messed up display and would not shut down normally.

The next reboot I caught faintly the safe mode ROFL. I probably didn't do it right, but I did the same steps and its back up normal.

This did not allow me to find out the root cause, but I have to say my old 2.1 never did this. I am starting to get scared of 2.2 now.

Nice shot of the display.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4053/sc20110429185519.jpg

0 Likes
Re: 2.2 safe mode ROFL
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

When your Samsung Fascinate gets stuck in safe mode, remove the battery from the back for about a minute. When you put the battery back in, the phone will reboot and you will be out of safe mode.

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yup that is basically what I did. I am a bit concerned as this never ever happened to me on 2.1. I did a factory reset under 2.1, upgraded to 2.2, and now this happens.

From what I am reading on other posts I would be wise to do yet another factory reset now that 2.2 is installed. I would still like to know what caused the problem so that it can be fixed properly instead of just removing the battery and forcing it to restart.

Do you recommend this 2nd factory reset after 2.2 is installed?

0 Likes
annoni
Enthusiast - Level 3

ArnettH_VZW wrote:

When your Samsung Fascinate gets stuck in safe mode,

the whole thread is interesting because the fascinate and the continuum do not have a safe mode command?! or so I thought... turn phn off, then power up. press & hold the menu key when the vzw logo appears and the fascinate boots into safe mode. cool! the ROFL thing makes me wonder though, that could be trouble

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

In a word, yes! Although it shouldn't be the case, in my experience, a factory reset after a software download has solved and prevented a lot of device issues. Safe mode on the Smartphone isn't necessarily a problem that needs to be resolved. Safe mode is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications. This is beneficial for troubleshooting third party applications. Since the Fascinate is an all touch device, it's pretty easy to enter safe mode by mistake. If that's not the goal, you would want to avoid touching the menu button during the power on process. 

Hope this helps...

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well i have given in and completed a factory reset. This means i did a factory reset before 2.2 and after 2.2 has been installed.

I can assure you i was no where near the menu button while the phone was booting up. I will try sometime to force it in this other mode just so i understand better if i should ever need this mode. I want to get this straight that the phone will never boot itself into a safe mode if there is a catstrophic issue? I know i am now comparing my phone to a windows os and not the android os that it is :smileyhappy:

I have had times where calling the phone from a land never even registers on the screen, the phone literly lock up with a colored snow effect, the phone thinks that i want to take screenshots and so everytime i want to use the power button to wake or sleep it i get a lovely screen shot and i am no where near that back button, and a few other issues. These are just some of the reason i decided another factory reset was required.

I will admit so far the 3rd party email is working better with hotmail accounts. i have seen an occasionaly connection error while trying to access emails, but at least so far it is consistently checking my email every 15 mins as the setting suggests and showing me new emails.

The phone for the most part is more responsive.

The GPS is working better.

The full flash support is working for most sites that are not trying to block android devices in some way.

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well i have given in and completed a factory reset. This means i did a factory reset before 2.2 and after 2.2 has been installed.

I can assure you i was no where near the menu button while the phone was booting up. I will try sometime to force it in this other mode just so i understand better if i should ever need this mode. I want to get this straight that the phone will never boot itself into a safe mode if there is a catstrophic issue? I know i am now comparing my phone to a windows os and not the android os that it is :smileyhappy:

I have had times where calling the phone from a land never even registers on the screen, the phone literly lock up with a colored snow effect, the phone thinks that i want to take screenshots and so everytime i want to use the power button to wake or sleep it i get a lovely screen shot and i am no where near that back button, and a few other issues. These are just some of the reason i decided another factory reset was required.

I will admit so far the 3rd party email is working better with hotmail accounts. i have seen an occasionaly connection error while trying to access emails, but at least so far it is consistently checking my email every 15 mins as the setting suggests and showing me new emails.

The phone for the most part is more responsive.

The GPS is working better.

The full flash support is working for most sites that are not trying to block android devices in some way.

0 Likes
TimSnyder

I find this post very curious because it is the first I have found that sound anything like what I am going through. About a week ago my Fascinate screen started doing weird things randomly. It would lock up and start "snowing" over until the entire screen was covered in bright white. Nothing would work and the only fix was a battery pull. It also once did a safe mode start up. I took it in to the local Verzon store and they decided to order me a replacement. I got the replacement on Friday evening and switched everything over. Saturday morning I once again got the snow screen on the new phone.... twice in one hour actually. So I took it back to the Verizon store and was told that my SD Card is bad and that this is causing my screen to snow over.

So at this point I am at 24 hours without my SD card mounted and no lock ups yet. The funny thing is my SD card is completely accessible both by the phone and my PC. So we will see. I find the explanation strange. It also angers me as this will be the second "accessory" that has gone bad in 6 months and will need to be replaced....

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am sorry you have seen a similar problem. I am happy to find out another user feels as if the phone booted itself into safe mode after a massive failure. I was certain I was not anywhere near the menu item during boot due to the way I hold my phone especially when trying to power it on.

My screen never got totally white. It is interesting that they blame it on the SD card. I decided with 2.2 I would format my SD under 2.1 so that I could start fresh under 2.2. I backed up my SD card and formatted it before doing my factory reset under 2.1 and then applying the 2.2 update.  I wonder if it is just as flaky as updating the OS and if I should format my SD card again LOL. I seriously hope that does not even become a consideration.

I have not tried running my phone without the SD card. I do admit since the  2nd factory reset after 2.2 was applied I have not seen the snow again. I have so far not seen the safe mode again. I have had a few times where I almost pulled the freaking battery due to massive unresponsiveness!

I noticed this morning my phone took on a mind of its own. I was in trying to read an email and I could feel it vibrate like I touched the screen. Well it backed out and I was NO WHERE NEAR that button. I felt it vibrate again and it backed out of the email program. It vibrated again several times and I can guess it was applying the back button again. When it calmed down I went into the market app and visited the my apps link to see if any of my apps needed updates. Well it did the same crap again! All the way out and this time I saw it go to to home screen since I was not on that screen. I locked the phone, cleaned the screen with a dry micro fiber cloth, there was not that many fingerprints to begin with, and I looked at some of the scratches in my protective screen, but there was nothing all the way through. Unlocked the phone and it seemed to behave.

I would almost guess your SD card is fine and it probably will even format fine. I would back the data on it and then see if it behaves with a fresh format when inserted, but I bet eventually even with  your card out you might get snow :smileysad:

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am sorry you have seen a similar problem. I am happy to find out another user feels as if the phone booted itself into safe mode after a massive failure. I was certain I was not anywhere near the menu item during boot due to the way I hold my phone especially when trying to power it on.

My screen never got totally white. It is interesting that they blame it on the SD card. I decided with 2.2 I would format my SD under 2.1 so that I could start fresh under 2.2. I backed up my SD card and formatted it before doing my factory reset under 2.1 and then applying the 2.2 update.  I wonder if it is just as flaky as updating the OS and if I should format my SD card again LOL. I seriously hope that does not even become a consideration.

I have not tried running my phone without the SD card. I do admit since the  2nd factory reset after 2.2 was applied I have not seen the snow again. I have so far not seen the safe mode again. I have had a few times where I almost pulled the freaking battery due to massive unresponsiveness!

I noticed this morning my phone took on a mind of its own. I was in trying to read an email and I could feel it vibrate like I touched the screen. Well it backed out and I was NO WHERE NEAR that button. I felt it vibrate again and it backed out of the email program. It vibrated again several times and I can guess it was applying the back button again. When it calmed down I went into the market app and visited the my apps link to see if any of my apps needed updates. Well it did the same crap again! All the way out and this time I saw it go to to home screen since I was not on that screen. I locked the phone, cleaned the screen with a dry micro fiber cloth, there was not that many fingerprints to begin with, and I looked at some of the scratches in my protective screen, but there was nothing all the way through. Unlocked the phone and it seemed to behave.

I would almost guess your SD card is fine and it probably will even format fine. I would back the data on it and then see if it behaves with a fresh format when inserted, but I bet eventually even with  your card out you might get snow :smileysad:

Edit 1

Interesting I swore I clicked post only 1 time, but here it is 2 times. argg now my computer is possessed!

0 Likes