wifi vs data
buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

How can i tell if I am using a wifi network vs my allowed data plan data?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: wifi vs data
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whichever one is active will have status arrows moving below the icon in the status bar.  You also can view the usage graphs in settings > data usage (if the one for wi-fi isn't visible, tap the Menu button, the three dots in the upper right-hand corner, then check Show Wi-Fi Usage).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whichever one is active will have status arrows moving below the icon in the status bar.  You also can view the usage graphs in settings > data usage (if the one for wi-fi isn't visible, tap the Menu button, the three dots in the upper right-hand corner, then check Show Wi-Fi Usage).

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

you won't see "3g/4g" in the notification panel but will see the fan shape, meaning wi-fi is in use

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's if mobile data is turned off.  Otherwise, you have to watch for the status arrows. 

bearone21
Legend
true, thanks
stef7
Master - Level 2

Settings | Mobile Data. Then select the menu key. Select "Show Wi-Fi usage".

Next time you go into Mobile Data, you should have two tabs, one for Mobile and one for Wi-Fi.

You can

Select Warning Limits

You can see your usage for a range of dates.

You can see what apps are using that particular communication path and how much.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable

One way for sure is to turn mobile data off. Also if you look under mobile data it shows both mobile data usage and wi-fi. Also many apps can be set to work only under wi-fi. Netflix is one. And Youtube has a setting where videos on stream in HD on wi-fi only.

0 Likes