what is using up my battery all of the sudden
bassingal1056

all of the sudden my battery is dying very quickly.  I made 1 short phone call today and maybe sent three text and it was dead in less than 8 hours.  What apps could be on that is draining the battery.  I have not changed anything on the phone

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: what is using up my battery all of the sudden
BigRedGonzo
Contributor - Level 1

Have you looked at your Battery Stats?  Go to Menu>Settings>More>Battery and it will tell you what is eating your battery.  I assume you have tried Powering the phone off?  If not, you may want to try that.  There is a new update rolling out from VZW, unlike the person above, since the update my battery life has been better than before.  I did do a Factory Reset from the Recovery menu after taking the update, which is normal practice for me.  Anyway, check your battery stats and let us know what is eating your juice and maybe we can help.

BigRedGonzo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Sonoran_Chris
Enthusiast - Level 2

By chance did you update your S4 to the latest Android 4.4.2 that just came out last week?

If so, this is what is causing it.   My phone is only good for about 70 to 80% of what it used to be after applying the update.

I'd love to go backwards to the stock, but I think once you move forward, you can't go back.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The battery tends to lag the first few days after an update. The phone is optimizing the file index and which apps you use again. If it doesn't settle down back to normal then you can start considering doing a factory reset.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bassingal1056

thanks for responding to me. No I have not done a update in a while. Unless it did it by itself but have not seen a update nor I have I done one. But my phone died so quick today so I came home plugged it in charger , it got up to 32%. I did not use it but it died again in less than 2 hours without using it. never has this happened.

0 Likes
BigRedGonzo
Contributor - Level 1

Have you looked at your Battery Stats?  Go to Menu>Settings>More>Battery and it will tell you what is eating your battery.  I assume you have tried Powering the phone off?  If not, you may want to try that.  There is a new update rolling out from VZW, unlike the person above, since the update my battery life has been better than before.  I did do a Factory Reset from the Recovery menu after taking the update, which is normal practice for me.  Anyway, check your battery stats and let us know what is eating your juice and maybe we can help.

BigRedGonzo

0 Likes
beyedup
Contributor - Level 1

I also noticed on mine, my kids and friends S4's, that the location settings were turned on high accuracy after the update.

You can check your setting in menu>more>location.

If it's on high accuracy, you can switch to power save mode and gps will not be constantly running. The gps on constantly will add to draining a battery too.