talk to text
kenmercer

When I attempt talk to text and press the microphone on the keyboard my phone dials the contact's phone number.  I don't want to call.  I want to text but the microphone button does not script the message when I speak.

0 Likes
Re: talk to text
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to be able to send those messages whatever way is most convenient kenmercer! Let's start from the beginning. Where are you on your device when you are attempting to use speech to text? Are you accessing your messaging app first or are you using the microphone search option directly from google?

Jonathan_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kenmercer

I'm in the text messaging function.  I've seen the instructions.  To type a text message you select the "enter message" box and the keyboard opens.  The instuctions say to press the microphone button on the keyboard that opens.  When I press the microphone I get a "speak now" command.  As soon as I speak anything the phone then changes to call the contact that I attempting to text.  I don't want to call.  I just want to verbalize a text and have the phone convert my verbalized message to a text.

Thanks,

Ken

>>Personal information removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional details, kenmercer! We've got a clearer picture now of what you want to do with your S4. The functionality you're seeing (having the device transcribe your speech into text) was not included as one of the basic function features of that model. But fret not! There are applications that can perform that task, and you can find them in the Play Store. I suggest searching by "talk to text" to start. Try some out to see if they suit you!

Dion_VZW

0 Likes
kenmercer

On the Verizon website under support, get help with your "device".  At the bottom of the screen there are some instructions for various functions of the phone.  Selecting "text messaging" a window opens.  The top item on the list is "using voice to text".  That window opens to a list of seven instructions.  I have followed these instructions however, after taping the microphone on the keyboard, for step 6 when I speak my phone calls the recipient of my text.  It does not convert my speech to a text message.  My phone calls the recipient of the text regardless of what I say.  Upon hearing my voice my phone generates a phone call.  This must be a setting that I can't find.

This instruction shows the phone does have this functionality.

Thanks,

Ken

>>Personal information removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I used those instruction this morning when I learned the voice to text routine on my S4.  It worked perfectly for me even speeking the persons name that I wanted to send it to. There is no setting to set this up as far as I know. I did my voice to text right our of the box.

Now I have to ask, is your phone a S4? as I only assume because you are on the S4 board.  If it is then the cumstomer service rep (Dion) was wrong when he said this phone does not have that functionality.

0 Likes
kenmercer

Thanks for your help, Klue.  Yes I'm using a S4.  I've discovered the problem.  When I was speaking in my phone (attempting to text) I placed the phone to my ear and spoke in the mouthpiece.  My phone recognized this motion of bringing the phone to my ear as an intention to call therefore the phone called the individual I was attempting to text.  Today I allowed the phone to rest in my palm without raising to my ear.  My voice was converted to a text message just as the instuctions had indicated.  Works perfectly.  Too bad Dion did not know this.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Using voice to text is an awesome way to save time when trying to communicate kenmercer. I'm sorry to hear that its not working properly. I have an awesome friend with this amazing device and he was happy to demonstrate. These are the steps we used. While your in the text messaging field, tap the microphone key which is next to the symbol on the keyboard.  You will have to wait until the the screen pops up and you see a red microphone on the screen. Then began speaking. The text should appear. Are you using a 3rd party messaging application? If so, remove it temporarily to check if this works and keep us posted.

Kinquana_VZW

0 Likes